Kirk Cameron anti gay remarks

Soapsuds

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Good question. I did see her on Dr. Drew's show where she expressed her religious beliefs, but I believe she is "newer" to them than Kirk. Or she "strayed" then got back to them, something like that.

• Members

You did, I just wanted provide a legit example in myself, LOL. Also, I am aware that not all christians can be judged by some, no group can. I also think a lot of the issues gay people and atheists and many religious people themselves take is more with the mass organized religious empire and their control.

She is super into Jesus too, but doesnt seem to be cray cray. She is on Make it or Break it and has had some racier scenes (for abc family, lol - so kissing out of wedlock, but it was quite the kiss) and she talked about finding a balance for her beliefs and playing a character who is being forced to challenge thouse and seemed very into it but she also has a lot of control over her character.

• Members

I know, aint that kissing out of wedlock thing bizarre? My niece and her husband were like that... their parents were SO PROUD (to be honest, I think he's gay... I'm waiting for that shoe to drop) but she drives me NUTS, with all her facebook posting on articles from FOCUS ON THE FAMILY and other odd assorted bullshit. It took everything in me lately to not post "FOCUS ON YOUR OWN DAMN FAMILY!" because my dad, her grandfather, was in the hospital for a week, and she hasn't bothered to call him once (He's a baptist minister, BTW, so she's got no excuse that he's a sinful person and doesn't want to talk to him)

• Members

No kissing out of wedlock, I just can't even with that... All of those sexual stirrings one gets when they're attracted and in love with another person are not just emotional but biological. I think a person could go frickin crazy not being able to acknowledge those impulses, and then they rush into marriage and you can't tell me that's all about true love at 19 years of age or whatever. Ugh, then these kids are probably shamed about masturbation and probably can't look their parents in the eye the morning after having a sex dream, and geesh, what the poor guys must go through when they Satan their sheets...

I'm so glad I grew up in a loving and fun church going family. We went to church on Sunday, loved God the six other days of the week, were just genuinely and generally kind and faith based, but we weren't afraid to cut lose, laugh, party, have a drink, cuss a little... I know that makes us "bad" Christians to some, but I think some religious folk put way too much undo pressure on themselves.

• Members

I don't agree with what Cameron said. That being said, hate speech is free speech and is protected by the First Amendment (much like flag burning is). Of course, people have the right to be outraged with his comments and treat him accordingly. But, that doesn't mean that any hate-filled person should be forced to keep quiet.

Also, I'm surprised that anybody would give a s#it about what a washed-up 80s teen star would have to say about anything. Much more disturbing is that Obama and Biden (who are in a position to do something about this) are opposed to gay marriage just like Cameron is. Nobody has ever explained to me why it is acceptable for the nations top Democrats to be against marriage equality. Why isn't any vitriol thrown their way?

• Members

Because we can understand why they can't quite "go there" with gay marriage.... although we don't like it. Kirk Cameron says our very EXISTENCE is eroding society. That's the difference. It's a matter of baby steps. And Obama repealing Don't Ask Don't Tell has mitigated any hurt feelings over gay marriage. and I agree... why would anybody care about a washed up teen stars' opinion.

• Members

I think because they have never said anything disparaging about homosexuals in general. They also approach the subject of gay marriage in technicalities, and maybe even play both sides of the political fence, which I think most Democrats understand even if they don't like it. The gay vote is just a percentage of the entire Democrat vote, and when choosing between the less of two evils, gays will most likely vote Democrat anyway.

ETA: Ha, sorry alpha, I was posting while you were.

• Members

Thanks for answering my question. I guess that we will have to agree to disagree on this matter, but I strongly believe that Democrats can now "go there," given (1) the sorry state of the GOP opposition and (2) that public opinion polls indicate a majority of Americans are now in favor of gay marriage. The sad fact of the matter is that Obama is just too chickens#it to do it, and is content to play the gay community like a bunch of chumps.

I understand that gays see the Democrats as the lesser of two evils, so I understand why most of them could never vote for a Republican. What I cannot understand is why the LGBT culture is not more aggressive (or even aggressive to any material extent) in pressuring the Democratic party to pursue its agenda of marriage equality. In the 1960s, Civil Rights leaders urged people to vote Democratic because JFK & LBJ were active in advocating their agenda (at a time when racial equality was just as controversial as marriage equality is now); blacks were not content just to "wait until later" and vote Democratic merely because they were the lesser of two evils.

• Members

It's not about gay marriage. Kirk Cameron is virulently anti-gay. Thanks to all the media focus on gay marriage, there is an idea out there which says if someone opposes gay rights, then they must just oppose gay marriage. It's often far more expansive than this. That's why various states are pushing laws that will ban schools from even mentioning homosexuality. In Tennessee, as a school principal berates gay students, they are close to passing a law which would ban teachers from talking about the issue. So you will have a school where no teacher could say anything positive about being gay, but a student would know that they will burn in hell or be expelled if they are gay. A few years back a county in Tennessee tried to ban anyone who was gay from even living there.

• Members

And Max... the show isn't over. Either Obama TRULY doesn't believe in gay marriage (and I think he DOES believe in civil unions) , and he knows that gays want the "whole enchilada". OR... he could be waiting for re-election to throw down the gauntlet. Time will tell. It's a matter of taking what you can get, and there isn't an alternative for us to support.

Archived