Y&R March Discussion

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I was going to say... I just do not understand the calls to "save Tucker!" I love Stephen Nichols, have done since Days (1987!), but even he cannot save this half-baked, under-written character. Tucker was, on paper, a maverick businessman who was meant to replace Victor Newman as the show's leading business maven if Eric Braeden did not re-sign. Tucker was, for all intents and purposes, a recast under a different name. Except that they hired Peepaw McElvis to originate the role and, when he didn't work out, SN was parachuted in to take over. Only he kept the Rockabilly aspect of the character because, really, there was nothing else to the character. Tucker is a total blank. And then Eric Braeden did renew his contract and the whole purpose for Tucker was completely lost.

It's not SN's fault, it's the fault of the writers who cannot come up with anything to this character. I cannot tell you how little I care for Tucker, how quickly he disappears from the mind when he's not featured. I liked the Abby vs. Tucker and Ashley stuff but that was entirely due to the fabulous Marcy Rylan and Eileen Davidson working the mother-daughter relationship to the hilt. Ash could have married Zapato and I would have cared more.

Similarly, if I enjoy the Devon SL, it is mainly because of Bryton and Debbi Morgan and KSJ. KSJ has always done good work, but his scenes with Bryton are especially moving, Neil communicating in sign language yesterday to a temporaily-deaf Bryton? C'mon, y'all. That was tender and beautiful, all thanks to KSJ. SN did good work, too, make no mistake, and his chemistry with Bryton, KSJ and DM is the best he's had with anybody on Y&R. But out of that group, I would be ready to jettison SN and Daniel Goddard, recast Lily and bring back Victoria Rowell. VR and DM would be GOLD together.

Archived