December 12-16, 2011

Toups

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

So I have to ask this: People were so quick (and by quick I mean years this went on) to write AMC off and call it a lost cause. What is this like the fourth or fifth attempt to "save" days in as many years? So what may I ask is the difference? Why should people keep rooting for Days to get better (other than it's another soap to keep on the air) and people were ready to let AMC etc go?

I'm asking seriously. I don't hate Days and for a few yeas I watched. But it's never been a favorite of mine. I find the writing to be bad even when it's "good" and the acting to be overall so campy I can't stand it. I'd hate to see another show go, but I'm not sure I know what makes Days different than the shows the fans gave up on.

• Members

You do realize that your last sentence was posted by fans of OLTL and AMC not too long ago, in reference to why those two shows wouldn't be canceled like ATWT and GL were? I'm sure that ATWT fans wrote the same thing, and just inserted GL's name.

DOOL may have a lot of life, but that won't matter if the ratings continue hitting new lows every week.

• Members

This is a great point. Honestly, I think the difference is threefold: First--and most importantly--DOOL is a darling of the soap magazines whereas AMC was not. (The soap press will lobby hard to save DOOL, because they cannot survive without it.) Second, DOOL fans are far more rabid than AMC viewers were. And third, NBC tolerates lower ratings from its soaps than either CBS or ABC does.

DOOL certainly deserves to be cancelled. However, it will still be renewed in 2013, because of the factors I mentioned above, and because the soap always gets lucky (i.e., its ratings rise at just the right moment) come renewal time. Cries from fans that "DOOL is going to end at any moment" have been going on for decades that it is impossible for one to take them seriously any more (sort of like the boy who cried wolf).

Also, this is a bit off-topic, but I find it interesting that some folks are rooting for DOOL to get better while at the same time cheering whenever the hated Y&R hits a new low.

• Members

It deserves to be cancelled because its ratings still suck despite all the promotion NBC gave the show (and all the money Corday poured into this latest revamp). However, if history is any indication, its awful ratings will go up right around renewal time, only to then go back to being miserable (after the soap is renewed yet again).

DOOL is the only soap that is currently receives intensive network promotion. (I have even seen spots for the soap that air in primetime.) The fact that the cancelled OLTL (which has gotten almost zero promotion for years) regularly beats it is absolutely pathetic.

• Members

NBC doesn't care either lol, all these change were Corday's doing. NBC doesn't even have a daytime division they just keep renewing Days as long as it turns a profit bc they have nothing else in the daytime.

And people are not so quick to write Days off bc it rebounds time and time again. It was clear AMC wasn't going to get any better. I doubt Days will this time either the show is so BORING.

• Members

even a cat only has nine lives. The fact is NBC did nothing in terms of "fixing" DOOL that was all Corday. NBC if anyone read Cordays interviews was skeptical of all the changes he proposed. As for renewal none of us know a thing because Comcast now runs NBC and Jeff Zucker last renewed the show while he was on his way out so who knows why. If ABC continues to show positives in their replacement shows who knows what happens. And if ABC goes to a full syndication model for its daytime division, that could change daytime TV for all the networks

Archived