Frons to leave ABC in January

• Members

Stomping out his cigar...

Sure looks like it. Wouldn't it be something if Univision/Telemundo started doing English simulcast for their novelas and attracted a whole new audience of disenfranchised U.S. soap fans?

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

This is not good news for GH. The press release makes it very clear that the future of ABC daytime is reality and lifestyle shows. And the new boss has no allegiance to soaps. I wonder if its true that Frons final act will be to announce GH's cancellation on his last day of work.

• Members

It's too little, too late for ABC and the soap genre. And this is the end of GH, let there be no doubt. The press release is very self congratulatory on Frons' part and it signals that soaps are over at ABC.

I won't be surprised if he announces GH's cancellation either Christmas eve, Boxing Day or New Years eve...

I do hope he was fired. He deserved it. The bastard.

• Members

I wonder if Frons was forced out or if he really resigned. Not that it makes much of a difference, GH is gone either way. ABC must be pleased that he put ABCD on the path to profitability, for the moment anyway.

What else did this insider say?

• Members

I'm sure that Frons was just there to be the fall guy. I really don't believe that Sweeney and Company were dumb enough to let Frons adopt his own ideas for replacement programming, given its tremendous incompetence.

Frons should have been fired the moment that his "brilliant" idea to move AMC to Los Angeles ended up a colossal failure. (Leaving him around allowed viewers to direct their rage at him, while the other executives were left relatively unscathed.) While disgruntled ABC soap fans single-handedly blame Frons for their shows' demise, the fact of the matter is that the decision to cancel came from somebody much further up the ladder. It's totally believable that Frons cried when the Nixon soaps were cancelled (as Barbara Walters said), because he knew his job would be ending soon.

Also, the fact that an article implied that Frons left on his own terms means little. When an executive is fired, companies often spin it (in public statements) to make it look like it was an amicable parting.

• Members

Yes this is definitely way too damn late and doesn't even matter now. Maybe Frons is trying to get out of there before The Revolution bombs with The Chew and Katie Couric.

I can't believe Frons destroyed NBC soaps division and ABC soaps division and hopefully CBS doesn't hire him to finish the job on Y&R and B&B.

The only hope now is that ABC holds onto GH like NBC has held onto DAYS over these past 5 years with it being their only soap. I'm really happy Valeniti and Ron C. are coming over to fix that hot mess.

Archived