Billboard's #1 Pop Singles

Max

• Members

Diana is a very catchy song. Anka, along with others in that group like Neil Sedaka, Carole King, really knew how to write catchy songs with great hooks. That's one of the reasons why Anka and Sedaka both had comebacks in later years.

I usually think of Anka for stuff like "Having My Baby" which for one reason or another usually makes it near the top of the list for songs women find most sexist.

• Replies 891
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

For some reason that makes me like it. He's so frenzied. It seems very real compared to a lot of the more polished music of this era with the 15 backup singers. But it's certainly overwrought.

Modern audiences may remember Anka most from the two seasons where he was, for some reason, asked to perform on the last American Idol performance shows, walking out to sing a custom-written version of My Way. I guess Simon Cowell was a fan.

• Members

Carl, thanks for posting those clips of Anka on "American Idol." While I really dislike that show (which makes me in the minority among Americans), I loved watching Anka sing his custom-made versions of "My Way."

While I don't care for "Having My Baby" at all, it actually reached #1 in 1974 (as hard as that may be to believe)!

Both Anka and Sedaka have made great contributions to rock and roll. Given that artists far less deserving have gotten in, induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame is long overdue for both men. However, I highly doubt either singer will ever be inducted, due to the bias that rock elitists have against teen idols. (In particular, Sedaka and his fans have begged the Hall of Fame to let him in, but always to no avail.)

After "Tammy" fell from the top spot for the second time, it was succeeded by "That'll Be the Day" by The Crickets. Despite being one of the most iconic 50's rock songs, "That'll Be the Day" only spent one week at number one: the week ended 9/23/57.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/gVaPf7R-4Sk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The title for "That'll Be the Day" came about from a quote contained in "The Searchers," a film starring John Wayne. While the most famous cover version of the song was performed by Linda Ronstadt (which peaked at #11 in 1976), "That'll Be the Day" was also the first tune recorded by a British group called the Quarrymen (who included John Lennon and Paul McCartney among its members).

The Crickets, of course, were led by Charles "Buddy" Holly, who was born on September 7, 1936 in Lubbock, TX. Although "That'll Be the Day" was the first hit (and only chart-topper) for the group, Holly & the Crickets also scored the following successes:

"Peggy Sue" (#3 in 1957)

"Oh, Boy" (#11 in 1958)

"Maybe Baby" (#18 in 1958)

"Rave On" (#41 in 1958)

"Think It Over" (#27 in 1958)

Please note that all of the above recordings were never officially billed as "Buddy Holly & the Crickets." Depending on which Decca subsidiary label they were released, the billing was either "The Crickets" (for the Brunswick label) or just "Buddy Holly" (for the Coral label). For all of the Crickets' hits (including "That'll Be the Day"), only "Peggy Sue" and "Rave On" were billed as being performed by Buddy Holly.

In late 1958, Holly finally decided to embark on a solo career. Unlike the rock sound he had with the Crickets, however, Holly's solo recordings were of an Adult Contemporary nature. His biggest post-Cricket hit was "It Doesn't Matter Anymore" (a song written by Paul Anka), which posthumously peaked at #13 in 1959. ("True Love Ways" was also a famous solo effort, although it failed to chart.)

In early February 1959, Holly--along with Ritchie Valens, J.P. Richardson (a.k.a., "The Big Bopper"), and Dion & the Belmonts--was performing for the "Winter Dance Party" tour in Clear Lake, IA. Holly did not want to take an unheated tour bus (in the middle of a snowstorm), so he decided to hop to the next place in a small plane. Two other members of Holly's back-up band were supposed to join him on the plane trip; however, Valens won a coin toss with one of those members, and The Big Bopper (who was suffering from a cold) was able to persuade the other member to give up his seat. Shortly after 1:00 A.M. on February 3, 1959, this private plane crashed in Ames, killing the three rock stars and the pilot. (In 1972, Don McLean would have a #1 hit with "American Pie," where he referenced 2/3/59 as "the day the music died.")

Given his huge influence on the genre, Buddy Holly (but none of the other members of the Crickets) was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1986, its very first year of existence. The other members of the Class of '86 were Chuck Berry, James Brown, Ray Charles, Sam Cooke, Fats Domino, the Everly Brothers, Jerry Lee Lewis, Little Richard, and Elvis Presley. Interestingly, Brown, Domino, Lewis, and Richard never had a #1 hit, and Berry's sole chart-topper came in the 70's.

• Members

I personally do believe that Holly is somewhat overrated (although one wouldn't know that by reading my previous write-up). However, given that other rock musicians claim he was such a huge influence on them, being among the first inductees to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame was warranted.

IMO, the only Holly songs that I really like are "That'll Be the Day" and "Maybe Baby." While I previously failed to mention this record, it should be noted that "Everyday" (Carl's favorite song of his) was the B-side of "Peggy Sue."

During the 1920's & 30's, there was a famous country singer named Jimmie Rodgers. In the late 50's, a pop singer with the same name (who was of no relation to the country singer) rose to stardom. This particular Jimmie Rodgers had his first hit (and sole chart-topper) with "Honeycomb," which spent two weeks at number one: the weeks ended 9/30/57 & 10/7/57.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/aRkHdh5k73A" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Rodgers--who was a member of the Air Force prior to gaining fame--would also score three additional top ten hits over the following year with "Kisses Sweeter Than Wine," "Secretly," and "Are You Really Mine." In 1959, he had a very short-lived weekly TV series on NBC.

Unfortunately, the career and life of Jimmie Rodgers suffered a major setback on December 1, 1967. Although there have been conflicting stories, Rodgers initially claimed that he was severely beaten by an off-duty Los Angeles police officer after being pulled over on a San Diego highway. As a result of these injuries, he suffered a fractured skull and was unable to perform for a year.

Rodgers is still alive today. He is 78 years old.

• Members

While "Honeycomb" is not among my favorite songs, I do agree with the above sentiment that it is pleasing to listen to.

I never knew the Blossoms served as background singers on "Shindig." This talented girl group actually did have a #1 hit--"He's a Rebel" (1962)--although they never received credit for it. Phil Spector indended this song to be recorded by the Crystals (who were still listed as the song's official artist), but because they weren't available at the recording studio on a particular day, Spector instead had the Blossoms sing "He's a Rebel" for release ASAP. (The reason why there was such a rush was because a competing version of "He's a Rebel" was just about to be released.)

As I indicated earlier, 1957 was a banner year for rock and roll. One major reason for this was because five huge superstars--The Everly Brothers, Ricky Nelson, Jerry Lee Lewis, Buddy Holly, and Sam Cooke--had their first major hits that year. "Wake Up Little Susie" would be the first of three chart-toppers for the Everlys, spending one week at #1: the week ended 10/14/57.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/CByPkTZtnzU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The Everly Brothers consisted of Don and Phil, who were born in 1937 and 1939, respectively. Their angelic harmonies were a perfect blend of pop, rock, and country. The Everlys' parents had a radio show in Iowa, and it was there that the brothers began singing--along with their parents--at a very young age. (The Everly Brothers also have roots in Kentucky and Tennessee as well.)

In late 1956 or early 1957, Don and Phil signed with Cadence Records, a small label owned by Archie Bleyer. Their very first record issued on Cadence was "Bye Bye Love," which spent four weeks at #2 in the summer of 1957. The duo's follow-up was "Wake Up Little Susie," a song that I don't particularly care for. (On the other hand, "Bye Bye Love" is my second favorite Everly Brothers tune.) Interestingly, George W. Bush once stated that "Wake Up Little Susie" was his favorite song.

In the spring of 1958, the Everlys would have their second chart-topper, with a song I consider to be their very best effort.

Archived