Billboard's #1 Pop Singles

Max

• Members

"March From The River Kwai and Colonel Bogey" is a great Mitch Miller song as well. Shockingly, it only peaked at #21 (in 1958).

The Four Aces were a pre-rock and roll vocal group from Philadelphia. Their only #1 hit was the beautiful "Love Is a Many Splendored Thing," which held the top spot for two non-consecutive weeks: the weeks ended 10/8/55 & 10/22/55. (In the 3 minute and 39 second video that I posted below, please note that the music stops at around the three minute mark.)

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/GnDtxiNwDS8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

This record--which won the Academy Award for Best Original Song--was specifically written for the 1955 movie of the same name. The 1967-73 CBS soap LIAMST (which we are so familiar with) was a spin-off of the movie.

• Replies 891
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The second instrumental to top the pop chart in 1955 was "Autumn Leaves" by Roger Williams. The song was number one for four weeks: the weeks ended 10/29/55, 11/5/55, 11/12/55, & 11/19/55. (The dates mentioned in the below video are far from 100% correct.)

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/-tDQMqlHZt8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

It shold be noted that Roger Williams' real name was actually Louis Weertz. The head of Weertz's record label decided to give him the stage name of Roger Williams. (The actual Roger Williams was most famous for being the founder of the state of Rhode Island.)

Roger Williams' (the pianist) second biggest hit was "Born Free," which peaked at #7 in 1966. Williams was a very accomplished musician, having played for nine different presidential administrations. (Because of this, he was sometimes referred to as "Pianist to the Presidents.") In a bizarre coincidence (given that "Autumn Leaves" was the song that was due to be profiled at this time), Williams just died today at 87, after a struggle with pancreatic cancer.

Interestingly (as of 12/31/99), "Autumn Leaves" is just one of three songs in the rock era with a season in its title to peak at #1. The other songs to accomplish this feat were 1960's "Theme from 'A Summer Place'" by Percy Faith & His Orchestra and 1966's "Summer in the City" by the Lovin' Spoonful.

• Members

Louis Weertz? How would you pronounce that? No wonder he took a stage name. True, only 3 songs with a season in the title made it to number one, but of course, there were many that hit the top 10. And of course, you have the generic catch all of Terry Jacks' "Seasons In the Sun" (which I despise as melodramatic drivel) Roger Williams was someone my father liked really well... he still has several of his albums. I, personally, found his playing style a bit too "flowery" for lack of a better term.

• Members

I completely forgot about "Seasons in the Sun." Like you, I think that song was absolutely dreadful.

The final #1 hit of 1955 (which is Alphanguy's favorite chart-topper of the year) was "Sixteen Tons" by "Tennessee" Ernie Ford. This snappy tune spent seven weeks at number one: the weeks ended 11/26/55, 12/3/55, 12/10/55, 12/17/55, 12/24/55, 12/31/55, & 1/7/56.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/zUpTJg2EBpw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Interestingly, "Sixteen Tons" (a song that was first recorded by country singer Merle Travis in 1946, and released one year later) was originally the B-side of Ford's cover of "You Don't Have to Be a Baby to Cry." Apart from "Sixteen Tons," Ford's biggest hit was "I'll Never Be Free," which was a duet with Kay Starr that peaked at #3 in 1950.

Ford may be better known for his television career than for his singing career, as he had two shows to his credit. The first of these was "The Ford Show," which was a variety show that aired on NBC's prime-time lineup from 1956-61. (The show was not named after the performer, but rather named after Ford Motor Company, its sponsor.) And, from 1962-65, he would host "The Tennessee Ernie Ford Show" on ABC Daytime.

Like Bill Haley, Ernie Ford suffered from alcoholism. In 1991, he died of liver failure at age 72.

• Members

Holy Mackerel... I always thought he was a deeply religious type, and to find out he had a huge drinking problem? I also did not know that "Sixteen Tons" was recorded by another artists before him. The finger snaps and the interplay with the acoustic bass are what really makes the song unique, a combo that would be repeated by Roger Miller a few years later with "King Of The Road". We had repeats of the Ford show air on our local PBS station, KMOS in Sedalia, MO. Me and my mother watched them together every Sunday night... they were pretty entertaining. When he would ahve Minnie Pearl guest star, those two together were hilarious!

He also recorded a sixties "Mod" version of Sixteen Tons, it's wierd, to say the least. It was recorded and released in 1965:

Here's a clip from his November 1967 special:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FRWXF4PhOA

• Members

The finger snapping to "Sixteen Tons" (which I agree really made this song so special) was Ford's own idea. I actually enjoyed his 1965 version of this song (which I never before knew existed), even though I was not expecting to.

I never knew that Ernie Ford made guest appearances on "I Love Lucy." However, I can't say I am shocked given his obvious comedic talents.

Qfan, don't feel bad that you did poorly in karaoke, as I have the world's worst singing voice.

There were eleven "new" number one singles in 1956, the first of which was "Memories Are Made of This" by Dean Martin. The song spent five weeks at the top: the weeks ended 1/14/56, 1/21/56, 1/28/56, 2/4/56, & 2/11/56.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/mv9PSkNkUfs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

While Dean Martin (whose real name was Dino Paul Crocetti) had a very successful singing career (which he deserved, given his beautiful voice), he is obviously best remembered for his comedy partnership with Jerry Lewis. Unfortunately, the legendary Martin & Lewis team would break up later in 1956 (after being together for a decade).

At the height of the British Invasion in 1964, Dean would have his second #1 hit.

• Members

"Memories Are Made of This" was succeeded at #1 by "Rock and Roll Waltz" by Kay Starr. "Rock and Roll Waltz" spent one week at the top: the week ended 2/18/56. (I have no idea why the below video says this song is from 1954, as that is obviously wrong.)

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/pJcJIK5olDo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

"Rock and Roll Waltz" was not the only #1 hit of Starr's career. In 1952, her recording of "Wheel of Fortune" was a chart-topper as well.

Despite having the words "rock and roll" in the title, "Rock and Roll Waltz" is obviously not a rock and roll song. Regardless, it is a catchy tune.

• Members

Alphanguy, thank you so much for posting that live performance. Starr sounded just as good in 1983 as she did in the mid-50's. (Strangely enough, Starr was never asked to perform "Rock and Roll Waltz" at the peak of that song's popularity.)

The next number one hit of 1956 was "Lisbon Antigua" by Nelson Riddle & His Orchestra. The song spent four weeks at the peak position: the weeks ended 2/25/56, 3/3/56, 3/10/56, & 3/17/56. (I'm sorry that the below video only consists of a picture of a bicycle, but I was unable to find anything else on YouTube.)

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/yqckV6QDnQU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Aside from "Lisbon Antigua," Riddle is best known for composing the theme song for the TV show "Route 66" (which peaked at #30 in 1962). He composed the theme song for "The Untouchables" as well.

Riddle died of cardiac and kidney failure in 1985 at age 64.

• Members

This exact same sentiment applies with me as well! (I've heard of the song, but I never actually listened to the song prior to yesterday.) "Lisbon Antigua" is just one of those forgettable songs that has fallen through the cracks. (You'll be surprised at just how many number one songs fit this characterization.)

The record that was #1 when ATWT and EON debuted was "The Poor People of Paris" by Les Baxter & His Orchestra. This song topped the chart for four weeks: the weeks ended 3/24/56, 3/31/56, 4/7/56, & 4/14/56.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/9CDc3Z6RrmE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

When "The Poor People of Paris" succeeded "Lisbon Antigua" at #1, it marked the only time in the rock era when one instrumental immediately followed another at the peak position.

Baxter's second biggest hit was "Unchained Melody," which spent six weeks at number two in 1955. (Baxter's version of this song was the most successful chart showing that "Unchained Melody" ever had. The 1965 version by the Righteous Brothers--which was obviously the most famous incarnation of the song--only peaked at #4.) In 1996, Baxter died of a heart attack at age 73.

"The Poor People of Paris" is most famous for a reason having nothing to do with the tune itself or its artist. Rather, it was the final record to peak at #1 before Elvis Presley exploded onto the national scene.

• Members

Now "The Poor People Of Paris" is a song I've heard many times. I like it really well, too... it's very bright and bouncy. Now, don't you think this TV theme song was somewhat modeled very closely to "The Poor People Of Paris"

BTW... in that video you posted, do you know my Grandmother used her Whirlpool surge-o-matic up until 1989!!! Complete with the electric wringer.

• Members

Alphanguy, that is such a cool factoid that your grandmother used the Whirlpool surge-o-matic until 1989. Also, the "Family Affair" theme sounds so much like "The Poor People of Paris" that I have to wonder if Les Baxter performed that song as well.

The second rock and roll song to reach the top of the chart was "Heartbreak Hotel" by Elvis Presley." Elvis made his national debut with a bang, given that "Heartbreak Hotel" spent eight weeks at #1: the weeks ended 4/21/56, 4/28/56, 5/5/56, 5/12/56, 5/19/56, 5/26/56, 6/2/56, & 6/9/56.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/PotB76gi2_4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Elvis Aaron Presley was born on January 8, 1935 in Tupelo, MS (he had an identical twin brother who was stillborn) and moved to Memphis at age 13. In 1953, he signed with the legendary Sun Records label (owned by Sam Phillips). Without a doubt, his most famous Sun recording was the 1954 song "That's All Right (Mama)." While the tune never made the national chart, it became a huge hit in the Memphis area.

In late 1955, RCA Victor offered Sam Phillips $40,000 (a record amount at the time) to acquire Presley's Sun contract. Needless to say, RCA came off very well in the deal, as "Heartbreak Hotel" would be the first of 17 number one hits Presley would have. Only the Beatles and Mariah Carey--who had 20 and 18 number one hits, respectively--have had more chart-toppers than Elvis.

Archived