OLTL: Discussion for the week of September 26

• Replies 469
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

and she was responsible for driving a good amount of the story in the mid 80s going into the 90s. She was arguably THE star of OLTL and the one to watch. She had a certain charm about her that kept her likeable even when doing awful things. She's selfish but not malicious and doesnt set out to intentionally cause harm or hurt people. I think that went a long way in keeping her from being hated by many

• Members

There is no denying AE's Tina was a huge star and drove a lot of story.

But IMO Viki was always the bigger star because had stand-alone stories apart from the men in her life.

And I disagree that Tina couldn't be malicious. She set out to hurt Viki badly with the early Clint/DID story. She could be incredibly cruel in taunting Viki about her mental illness. What saved AE's Tina from being hated was her child-like demeanor... which made her NAUGTHY vs a mean bitch.

• Members

Is Andrea wearing a wig?

I'm really cool with the fact that Carlivati won't be the headwriter of the PP version... This show needs to come back to earth ever so slightly. I want dramatic moments to feel dramatic- I don't want EVERYTHING to be so damned campy. Yesterday was truly horrible, and one of OLTL's worst directed, acted, LIT (I get it lighting designers, it is SUNNY out) acted, and most of all -written- episodes in a long time. It was downright clunky. And is the budget so bad that the backdrops outside show WINTER? With no leaves on the trees?? Did anyone notice?

I am confident the show will be solid through January, but yesterday was downright weird.

• Members

I somewhat agree with you, but wasn't the early DID story you mention--and Tina's role, done partly out of misunderstanding and revenge (in typical soap opera fashion) because of what had been a secret about Tina's father? I do think AE adds a lot to why people like the character--although I did like some of the writing I saw for her before--not a big fan of the Rauch era Tina (though there were some great moments) but love the several hours I've seen of her as a teen in her '78-81 go round (of course I think that era was pretty close to perfection in general...)

• Members

Carlivati would be great if he tried for more dramatic material. I think his camp is generally a struggle and has odd tonal issues ( remember Rebecca?).

I guess camp is better than trying to make camp serious, like everything with Ford, which has been an attempt to turn what he wrote as hot and sexy fun (including Ford taking advantage of Teen Jess) into heroism. It's just awful.

• Members

The backdrops through windows have been on the cheap side on OLTL for a while now... But I'm in full agreement. I admit, as much as I complain about RC (particularly the last little while--I have liked quite a bit of stuff he's done in his run), it feels like we're starting to get to a point where EVERYTHING is camp, and I'm beginning to think it's ALL intentional camp, from the dramatic stuff to Morris.

• Members

blink.pngblink.pngblink.pngohmy.pngohmy.pngohmy.png

Tina is the greatest character to ever appear on OLTL! So what she is shallow? She was always uber-fab in her fur and her big hair. The character comes across as shallow and one dimensional, but she is also extremely versatile and you can write a story for her that is a romance or right a story for her trying to find Eterna. Who else could go over waterfalls and interrupt weddings back from the dead and all of the things she did? Tina made OLTL fun. Tina, Asa, Gabrielle...OLTL used to be larger than life and insane fun. And considering there is no other character like Tina thanks to the great portrayal by AE, I don't think she is a stereotype. She was one of a kind. It's everyone else who is exactly alike.

• Members

I must have been in the right mood when I watched yesterday's show. I guess I was in the mood for the camp because I haven't LOL that much in a while. Yeah, it was stupid but it was funny. And it was great to watch all these actors try to pull off the crap that was given to them on the script. Dani's "my brain is exploding" was great! Starr explaining invisible ink to Todd was ridiculous. Irene changing the will to get everything was predictable. I'm sure Tea will fight that and then we'll have to watch the fight for Todd to get it all from either Tea or Irene.

I like Tina because she does have that certain charm that makes her likable even if she's doing terrible things. She's not doing terrible things to hurt anyone just for selfish materialistic reasons. The Ford crap though. I can't say I found that funny. I found that more ridiculous than anything. And Jess jumping rope. Really? That was bad.

The Natalie and John stuff, I really want to care about them but it's dragged on for so long now that I have lost all interest. They teased us way back in April that John would find out that Liam is his. I really no longer care. There is such a thing as dragging things out for too long and I think they've done that here.

Vicki being mean to Tina threw me off too. I swear it was just a couple days ago that she was regretting how poorly she treated her. And after losing a brother you think a person would want to be nicer to the siblings they have left.

Archived