Soap Opera Digest rating the openings from 1998

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

You know, though. The Smooth Jazz theme would've totally worked with different visuals to accompany it (possibly also a different show :P). It was just so wrong for that theme, and not to mention the fact it was a completely unnecessary change since the original Hold On To Love was so unbelievably perfect and grand. It fit the show so much better than the remix did.

• Members

Try and picture "Hold on to Love" (that is, if a theme song were a person, lol) walking along the shores of some beach in the Virgin Islands with some Caribbean band w/ Black men wearing long, nappy dreadlocks playing nearby. That's what I mean by the "island version."

• Members

I agree that the original HOTL was "unbelievably perfect and grand". It was one of the most lush/sweeping opening sequences ever, perfect blend of music and visuals. It had a certain class, particularly the earliest version with the shots of Zaslow in tux and that closeup of McKinsey (though I loved Dusay's clip too), and I really loved Harley dancing away at the end.

• Members

I always forget how much sentimental value the 90s GL openings, with all of the different theme arrangements, hold for me. I used to stand in front of the TV during the closing and watch all the faces flash by. And look at Tina Sloan WORKING THE FRICK out of that hair. Go 'head, girl! My favorite was always Vincent Irizarry, with his long, lovely locks and pimp grin.

For whatever reason, the late 90s AMC music is "more AMC" to me than the current/early 90s theme. The combination of the piano/violins with the guitar/sax gave it a really modern, yet traditional, sound. Love the closing, even though it's wayyyy too repetitive...

• Members

I dunno, I think it's just because I became so obsessed with AMC and soaps soon after the early 90s theme premiered--when they returned to it, it was a welcome surprise even if the later arrangements have never been as good. Nothing beat that vamping piano under the final scene of the prologue fading into the opening. (That said, for some reason I prefer the late 90s theme you posted for the end redits, lol--but yes it needs a bit more variation than some improved string riffs and piano bits).

I feel liek I don't even have ot mention the Y&R theme just as I really do think it's the greatest piece of soap theme music, even if it's oftne in awful arrangements now. I was a bit disappointed when I found out it was actually a movie cue they borrowed, and not original...

And like i said, I have a hard time choosing whether I like the 80s GL theme (is it My Guiding Light? I forget the theme names) or Hold Onto Love more.

The post world spinning themes for ATWT always seemed pretty generic to me, though I liked one of the more recent ones (I lose track) and was surprised when they changed it near the end for no reason.

• Members

Yes, My Guiding Light, a really beautiful theme. Then they sped it up with the "popcorn" version which I call the "fart" version. They slowed it back down again before Hold on to Love:

Bryan Buffington was a cute kid.

My Susan and Helmut can dance to ANYTHING.

• Members

LOL wow I had NO idea Kassie DePaiva was on GL! (and Wikipideiaing it she was on for a fair amount of time) Was the popcorn theme the one that added kinda late disco style popping percussion?

I have a casette I got from some mail order ad in the back of an early 90s SOD that has long versions of all the soap themes, though all newly recorded (though most of them sound pretty identical--I guess the same synth, etc)--including those two GL themes, both AMC themes up to then, etc.

• Members

Kassie had a fair amount of story for her first few years - and then she began appearing less and in B-stories. She said that the Blake character took pretty much everything from her - her character's job, her love interest.

I love the Hold on to Love theme, especially the shot of Harley.

This is my favorite GL theme. Oh GL why do you make me so emotional...

This is my second favorite. It's just so hilarious and yet gives you a kick.

Archived