Soap Opera Digest rating the openings from 1998

• Members

I wish we could find those lyrical versions of various 70s soap themes that were on WoST years ago. I think they were performed by the New Christy Minstrels, but MY GOD, they were so cheesy and hilarious! The OLTL and AMC themes were pretty solid, but Ryan's Hope had this wailing saxophone and Y&R sorta sounded Love Boat-ish.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Yes, it is. I saw the fuller version of that clip a year or two ago - it was a very miserable wedding, and the show had the Kelly/Morgan wedding going simultaneously, to show the best and the worst.

I wonder how many Kelly/Morgan fans wrote in saying Nola had ruined their episode.

• Members

Here is the biggest change to the EON opening - using pictures of the cast. They're stylishly done, although I will never understand why they had poor Tony Craig end in that blue shot - I guess it's supposed to mean day ending, but it makes him look like Violet from Willy Wonka.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHlgRHDzTws

A later version. I love the shots of Geraldine at WMON. And you can really tell Jodie and her beau are in love -they're wearing matching old man sweaters.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCNS2EjFbCQ&feature=related

• Members

They had another one after this one?

I was not a SuBe viewer, I don't even think I made it through the first week though I tried. But I do remember that they were struggling to find an audience and they devoted a week (more?) to catching up any potential new audience with clips and narration of the storylines up to that point. They debuted this new "more daytime" opening the following Monday when they were back to new episodes.

I also remember SOD/SOW saying that Bette or Annie should have the final spot, not SS.

• Members

Wow, they used another version of Raven for the last shot in this 1981 opening. In this one she's Raven meets Carrie meets Joan Crawford.

I like the shots in this of the dance studio. It reminds me of Fame and that whole early 80's vibe of freedom and edge so brutally cut short a few years later.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axL5FVkVM_w&feature=related

• Members

When Calhoun was at GL, they did scenes specifically for the opening credits. The actors pantomimed and it was put all together. That’s why I thought earlier they did the same kind of thing with the Disco opening with at least some of the clips. The only way I’d believe they were all from scenes is if I had the full scenes to prove it as some of them seemed like potential outtakes. (Not the Nola one, but some of the others.) The only way we'd know for sure is if there was someone we could ask that would remember or if there was an old SOD handy about the opening.

I didn't even remember the Sunset Beach openings, and I watched that show, but I would change the channel during the opening in my defense.

• Members

Do you know what the Calhoun opening is? The clips I mean. Was it linked here?

I guess some of the clips in the disco opening could have easily been added just for the opening (Tony's disco kick, Mike with the gun, Ross putting his hand to the camera). I just thought they were taken from episodes.

• Members

I was writing about a version of My Guiding Light when Calhoun was at GL prior to JFP. The opening I was writing about was about 1989 or 1990, when Harley and Alan-Michael (Carl Evans), were together and married. Clips from them in Christmas clothing are used from 89. In that particular version of the GL opening, no idea what number variation it was, it had the pantomime thing.

Archived