August 29 – September 2, 2011

Toups

• Members

Wow OLTL coming 3,000 from B&B - it's not just that B&B dropped this week, they are down 400,000+ viewers from last year, and OLTL Is up over 350,000+ over last year. That's honestly quite amazing, even though total viewers "don't count"- to say that OLTL has the 2nd highest number of viewers would be quite a feat... and per previous posts they kept their #1 18-34 rating, went up in HH, etc.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

What always surprises me, is how B&B, which seems to relish campy stories that play with sexual taboos (even if they don't do it all that cleverly) seems to have its audience made up more of older people than many of the more traditional soaps, at least that's how I read its shockingly low 18-34 and 18-49 ratings. I also have, for a while now, found it weirdly amusing that GH lately does relatively badly with male viewers, when I always thought the whole Mob mandate, and "masculine vibe" they tried to put on it was in some way meant to appeal more to men.

• Members

I have about 5 friends who watch soaps regularly, they're all a bit younger than me, 22-28 and ALL of them watch online. (actually one, watches on SoapNet if he can or else online). I wonder if that does play a part. Of course three out of 5 of them are guys, so nobody cares about that anyway wink.png

The only other person I'm close to who watches soaps regularly is my mom, who got hooked on AMC thanks to me sometime ago, but thanks to her being 63, nobody cares about that either. (She watches on video tape too, so I guess that wouldn't count--she says she will watch online, but I'll have to show her how... But it shouldn't be too hard, she's pretty internet savvy thanks to her job).

All of this is probably moot anyway since all but one of those people are in Canada--I wonder if there's anyway to find out Canadian soap ratings. I remember back in the day AW did much better in Canada than the US. Also Y&R used to regularly air here on the West Coast (the next day's episode) at 5pm, which meant growing up I knew a lot of friend's parents who would watch as they got home from work, often missing the first few minutes. A while back it was moved back to 2pm, but just last week it was moved forward to 4pm apparently because ratings fell at 2pm.

• Members

I read an article about unique online hits for Y&R and Days about one year ago and the numbers were very good. Online+Live+DVR=1999 Household Ratings.Clearly, these numbers don't matter, YET, but will eventually mean something to the networks. I honestly believe that the networks want out of soaps because these shows can't be syndicated, repeated or sold in box sets yet they run a higher cost than talk/reality TV. Also, the daytime stay at home demos all stink because they tend to be poorer.

I remember CBS having issues with Dallas in the final years because the show was so hard to syndicate and the producers had to try story archs. This failed, and since then we have had very few non-episodic soaps. Oddly,American soaps do really well on the international market and often run in prime time. It seems as if the world loves American left overs like Soaps, Buicks and RC Cola.

I don't think CBS cares one way or the other about Y&R. Moonves loves hits, top shows, and will probably keep the show if the numbers go back up. CBS News will never put together a winning show and soaps have always been the networks strong point. I could see any of the networks running prime time repeats like ABC did years ago.

GO OLTL

• Members

Hey Toups,

Found those old database records finally:

OLTL didn't hit #1 in 18-34 demos in June 1999 nor November 2000. Days was #1 and GH #2. Closest OLTL came was 3rd.

Anyhoo, as expected GH bounced back to regain lead in 18-49 viewers.

But whoa, OLTL retained lead in prized 18-34 demos, that's really HUGE news.

Univision, btw, has been touting it's dominance over the 18-34 demo for a while now:

http://www.rbr.com/t...18-34-demo.html

And Keith's strength with 18-34 demos is well known to have built MSNBC.

Anyhoo, if OLTL can keep #1 slot in 18-34, it may help PP's bid to land it a cable outlet.

One interesting note, OLTL has shed viewers for the last 4 weeks straight (-188,000) but attracted +3000 18-49 viewers.

Toups, could you check the 18-34 viewers for last 4 weeks, if you have access? I'd be interested what the net total is there for this same period.

THANKS! You rock.

• Members

I wish Dallas the best. It seems to me that GL has great potential for re-boot because no one will actually remember the final two years. A few vets plus a new cast could make for a great show. I see on the soap $%! site that they do an EON: Today and wonder if PGP doesn't wanna cash in on the crime show tide one of these days.

Archived