9/11 ten years later - Where were you the day the world changed

SnCCorinthos4ever

• Members

I remember that I was asleep as it was all unfolding in the US.

But when I got up the following morning I turned on the TV as I finished getting ready for work it was on all the channels here.

My first thought was why were they doing a story on the WTC bombings since I usually watch either a feed of the Today Show or Good Morning America. It took about a minute before I realised that it wasn't and what I was seeing was something that was going to change the world and how we see things.

I remember being glued to the radio and TV for the next several days.

I even sent out emails to all my friends that were in the US and on the message boards that I belonged to asking them all to check in even the ones on the West Coast of the US.

This facebook page was set up by an aussie newspaper asking Where Were You?

http://www.facebook....wereyou?sk=wall

But there will be some that will be posting the conspiracy theories,

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I remember I had woken up early, had to work a few hours later. I remember how shocked I was, cause the first tower was hit and as the news was covering that live, the next thing I saw was the 2nd plane hitting the other tower.

My dad used to travel for his job and me and my stepmom were freaking that he might have been on one of the plane's, cause he was supposed to be in New York, but thankfully he wasn't.

• Members

I was in Grade 11, and we were just settling into 2nd period just before 10am (I can't imagine how no one had heard in my class by that time, imagine if it had happened today with twitter, facebook, smartphones etc) and a few of us noticed how the teacher was late. No one seemed to really care, then the teacher walked in and the look on her face... she looked horrified. Seconds later the principal came over the PA and informed of us of what was going on, we had a moment of silence.... and then back to work. My school went to great lengths just to keep the day going.... one teacher had a t.v going of the news coverage, and then eventually was told to turn it off. Catholic school trying to shelter us I suppose? Before the television was ordered shut off my friend and I managed to get down to the classroom and this was just as the 2nd tower had fell and all you saw was a reporter in the middle of a street and a stampede of people and dust.

I remember at dismissal I ran home and was transfixed by the coverage all night. Never will forget it.

• Members

I don't know if anyone is aware of this site, but all major US networks live coverage from Sept. 11, 12 and 13 is available to stream. I just found out about it from a newspaper article previwing all the specials leading up to the anniversary. Fascinating, yet morbid, to watch.

http://www.archive.o...t_11_tv_archive

Also, a further collection has been launched recently with coverage from networks from all over the world.

• Members

I was a junior in high school. I had just come out of first hour and was talking to one of my friends at my locker when someone else came up and said we were being attacked. I had PE next so I went and got changed and the whole class was watching the news in the lunch room. I am pretty sure we watched as the first tower fell. Honestly, I had no idea what was going on and I live in a small rural town in Illinois. They went on lock down but our PE teacher still had us go outside for class. A car backfired and everyone freaked out. My school never said anything about what was happening so in some of my classes, kids were trying to figure out places in our town they would hit and we had no idea it was highjacked planes. I had to go home and watch the news to figure out all the details.

• Members

I was in the 6th grade and knew absolutely nothing about it at all until my last class of the day (at like...2:30ish). It was social studies, and our teacher just said, "There are terrorists and they're knocking down the World Trade Center. Bin Laden's behind it." To be honest, I still didn't really know what was going on nor did I care. I thought she said "Bob Louden," so I was telling people that this guy named Bob blew up the Twin Towers. I didn't get that it was a big deal until I got home and virtually all channels -- broadcast and cable -- were pre-empted for news or just a static screen.

• Members

I was in the 5th grade. It was a gorgeous day. Sunny, not a cloud in sight and 78 degrees was the forecast. The teacher left the room. A 6th grader came in and told us at like 9:10 that planes hit the World Trade Center. My mother had a friend take me home since she was picking up her daughter who was my best friend. Lots of parents were pulling their kids out of school. I came down the stairs before my friend did and ran to hug her mother. I looked at the time and it was exactly 9:59 when Tower 2 came down. My friend came down and she took me home. I got home and told my father what happened and obviously he couldn't go to work since he drives a cab in Manhattan. We went upstairs to watch the news. We saw at 10:28 Tower 1 coming down live. My mother was stuck in Brooklyn until like 3 since the bridge was closed. They opened it temporarily and my mother was able to come home. My church did a service that night which we attended. My mother did not want my father to go into work the next day either but he did since he hates staying home.

Just watched a bunch of disturbing youtube videos. I probably won't sleep tonight. Apparently there was some guy on the phone with 911 and at the end we witness Tower 2 going down and he's screaming. His name was Kevin Cosgrove. Watch at your own risk.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEwY8uZ4BAI

• Members

I was in year 9, and living in Australia (we had actually just moved back to Australia like 4 months beforehand after having lived in NYC for about 8 months). It was I guess about 10:30 or 11:00 PM, and the only reason I was still up was because I was sick, and I was sitting in the lounge room watching Lateline (I cant believe I remember that) when they broke in with the live news coverage. My stepmother started panicking and acting hysterical that people we knew and people her and my father worked with might have killed, and ran off to start making calls. I went into my room and watched Sky News all night (There was some panicking here because our then Prime Minister was Washington, D.C that day) and then all the next day since I didn't go to school. I remember laying on my bed crying when I found that parents of kids I had gone to school with in NYC had died. I also remember lots of American flags and God Bless America signs going up around town.

When I went back to school two days later, all these kids crowded around me asking me if I knew anyone that had died, and then having this mass school wife assembly where we all lit candles for prayed for America and the victims.

• Members

I woke up and called my customer, telling her that I was going to be planting her trees today (12 of them) and she said "Have you turned on the TV? I said no.... and she told me what happened. so I turned it on, watched for 30 minutes, then went on to plant my trees and listened to the live coverage on the radio. Then I got roasted on a message board I frequented later that night becase I said that they shouldn't build buildings that large, that it takes too long for people to get out in case of an emergency, any emergency.

• Members

I was sleeping at the moment of impact but I worked in the Wall Street area, and our company was closed down and eventually out of business because of all the delays and lost business. Anyway, the days immediately after were in hindsight some of the most interesting days of my life. The city was closed off at 14th street and I lied my way past the check point to get to the office to get paperwork out because everyone else lived out of borough, and the check points kept on coming and the city was silent and dark with no power down there and the only light coming from passing army trucks casting weird shadows out of a horror movie. You can hear the solders walking on the cobblestone by the seaport, and ground zero itself was something out of a sci-fi movie all lit up with soldiers and firemen and cops in weird outfits going through the rubble. The smell was awful and hard to describe. It was so strong you smelled it as far north as Nyack weeks later still. (one hour north by train).

The bars were packed that day, the sidewalks filled to the gills with people forced to walk home. Then at every park would be these walls of photos and candles. Interesting times in the city, indeed.

• Members

I was eating breakfast watching GMA when Diane transitioned that they were going to cut over to a breaking story about a fire down at the WTS. She and Charlie were talking to a witness on the phone and they wondered if maybe a little single engine plane had crashed and the guy was pretty sure that it was a 747. As they were talking, the second plane hit in the live shot. Diane said, "Oh my God." Stupid me still thought air traffic control was majorly effed or something and Charlie was like, "Well it's now apparent that this is a concerted effort to target the WTS" or something. When I was in the shower, my mom opened the bathroom door and said, "They just hit the Pentagon!" Crazy. And do you know my boss still made us come in for work that day. sleep.png All we did was listen to the news all day and since we were in Washington we kept crapping ourselves hearing the military planes flying overhead.

• Members

I can't imagine what that must have been like..... any sound of a plane engine would have just sent me at that point. I can remember getting home from school as fast I could that day periodically looking up in the sky. The idea of commercial aircraft essentially being used as missiles was so foreign to me, and well almost anyone outside of the CIA and FBI and by extention the upper echelons of the American government.

Archived