August 22-26, 2011

Toups

• Members

Interesting note, the actual reveal scene with Irene confessing to RH, TSJ and ES failed to hit anywhere close to 3 million viewers in dailies.

On 8/22, ABC cut in for 7 minutes on the EST airing with the Libya update from President Obama and yet OLTL scored 3 million viewers that day. That is impressive b/c usually those ABC new breaks hurt the dailies. You can see Irene breaks did impact OLTL's 8/26 numbers.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Soaps in depth finally did a thing about oltl ratings surge and calling it hot with great viewers and demos. Citing it as number 1 abc soap lol. Frons response was he's happy oltl is so good and thought it was good when they cancelled it. His excuse is not quality of show but quality of viewers lol.that abc looked at where these shows would a year from now and they werent financially viable. More frons talking his ass up. I heard abc is shocked by oltls surge but IMO they will never admit they made a mistake. We all know canceling Oltl was biggest blunder in soap history.

• Members

I give it less than one decade. As it is, NBCU has come out and said that the broadcast network is only a small part of overall business--even with the flag ship lost in forth place, the company did well. ABC/The Mouse House makes most of it money off cable, too. CBS, since the split with Viacom, is the only network that earns a majority of cash from broadcast TV. Maybe Mooves can develop some new formula to beat the heat of Google TV, Play Station hook ups and other new web to tv devices.

I predict that CBS.com, for an example, will eventually become more of a cash cow that the actual network and that most local affiliates will die off unless they flip to a local news format. Even PBS could benefit from a transfer to Web-based viewing.

I am thrilled that OLTL and AMC have made the online move. They will serve as foundations for the first of many new online network ventures.

• Members

I'm wondering how long it will be before we hear Y&R cancellation rumors or talk of them moving to a cable network? Y&R, OLTL and GH are basically in a dead heat and Y&R carries a massive budget. I really wonder how much money CBS makes off the show? I see the network using soap stars to puff up The Talk so the show must hold some value to Moonves. Does anyone know if CBS still tries to use HH ratings while selling ad time? I remember Moonves saying he would many years ago.

Y&R needs a makeover, pronto! I also think the show needs MTS to make a lot of the stories work. Maybe they should bring back Brenda Dixin and make her Jill's long lost twin sister. Such a move would certainly help HH rating and might be campy enough to help in demos.

• Members

I had no idea that the 18-34 W demo was the most prized of all! Next time one of my favorite primetime shows is cancelled, I'll have to look at that number too. Usually, the P-T writers don't focus on it. Thanks. : ) With Frons and OLTL, I always thought his focus was getting the Teen or "Mean Girls" demo. Just my impression from the way OLTL has been promoted, who's gotten the most stories/airtime despite bad Nielsens over the past few years, that's all.

I'm curious as to why OLTL began sinking right after Monday. AMC seesawed but OLTL went straight down. I thought the massive buzz about the "glitch" would at least draw curiosity seekers. What happened on Monday that so many decided to skip the rest of the week and even more decided to skip it too after each day?

OLTL

Monday: 2.0/3,059,000

Tuesday: 2.0/2,834,000

Wednesday: 2.0/2,729,000

Thursday: 1.9/2,725,000

Friday: 1.7/2,501,000

Note about OLTL being #1 during November 2000 sweeps - that was due to JFP's last big lavish umbrella, Viki and Ben's wedding. For a month, OLTL was ABC's Golden Child. I wonder how "super couple" JaSam's upcoming wedding will compare. The stills from it look so fun! laugh.png

Also, I'm guessing that the "re-hosting" of The Talk is due to its poor performance vs OLTL and DOOL? I expect Frons' Binge and Purge to have even worse problems despite being dirt-cheap to produce. He will have to pay 18-34W with Nielsen boxes to watch it. The more he trashes soaps, the fewer there will be transitioning to those train wrecks. He's already made himself a clear target for millions of soap fans. They can't wait to not watch his shows.

• Members

Do you rememebr NBC's Must See TV Thursday lineup? Seinfeld owned the 18-34 demo and that earned NBC highest ad rates. 18-34 is the subset of 18-49 that is the hardest to attract so advertisers pay top dollar for it. Even rarer is men 18-34 and that's why NFL gets huge TV deals.

Frons is an IDIOT. He forgot that teens picked up soaps from their parents and grandparents. And teen viewers loved multi-generation soaps for decades but suddenly he was saying teens would only watch teens 24/7. Very stupid man.

Monday was the huge fallout day for Téa and TSJ's character and they made love while Todd hovered outside with that gun. Todd also fought with Jack and Dani/Starr fought, too over the 2 Todds mess.

Tuesday wasn't about the 2 Todds stories as focus abruptly shifted to Rex and Kelly/Joey stories.

Wednesday was the Cramer Women's goodbye to Dorian. Rather sad Dorians big exit wasn't a BIG emotional story but just a rushed send off. Also Bo visited Asa's grave and Clint/Rex stuff.

Thursday was Viki & Dorian's last day with that montage etc. And Brody threatening TSJ.

Friday was pre-empted a lot by Irene.

Yep, that was the last time OLTL won a sweeps. JFP had the viewership AND demos surging. That is the difference between then and now. We're seeing impressive viewership gains but OLTL finished 3rd in 18-49 for July and August.

• Members

I wasn't aware posting RATINGS FACTS about JFP's tenure was not allowed here.

I detested the destruction the women leveled on OLTL and was no fan of Ben and Blondie. But I also allow my tastes did not speak for the majority of viewers who did enjoy that couple. Their wedding was huge for OLTL and when GT later put them on backburner, his numbers did slide.

• Members

I wonder why some people simply won't allow OLTL to enjoy the moment. Yes, it's moving from ABC, but no matter how you slice it, the fact remains that it's #1 in certain demos. Whatever happened 10 years ago happened. We're in the now. I'm also not buying Frons HAD to cancel anything. If he wanted AMC and OLTL they'd stay right where they are.

• Members

You can print your facts all you want, but this is the first time in ages this show has given fans something to cheer about in 3 years. The VETS have come out and been front and center. Teen beat is gone and the VETS are on. Just be happy the show is doing well and stop trying down grade the show! Why don't you just enjoy the show instead of bitching all the time.

Archived