OLTL promo: One Todd Manning

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I think that's what rankles me most. Granted, I've never been a TSJ fan, or even a RH fan; and definitely, I think TSJ himself is at least partly to blame for the way his exit is being handled; but to be dismissed, for lack of a better word, as summarily as he was, w/o so much as a by-your-leave...? It's like the network and the show are saying, "At last! Our savior (RH) has returned! Uh, yeah, Trevor, you can pick up your last check on your way out. Thankyoubuhbye."

I just hope they didn't pull another Lillian Hayman and at least let him back inside the building to collect his stuff out of his dressing room.

• Members

How should they have "dismissed" him, Khan? He chose to leave when they wanted him to stay. His pivotal character had to thus be written out. Of course a murder mystery was going to come up as an option. And I think comparing this valued leading man who was frontburner and given the lion's share of story for eight years to Lillian Hayman is frankly beneath you.

• Members

Look, Vee, I don't wish to argue with anyone here, and certainly not with you. But did you not read this part:

Now, it's my fault for attempting to be tactful (never my strong suit) because I'd like not to incur the wrath of his fans...but let me blunt: TSJ, for all intents and purposes, is an ass. He was an ass when he got the job; he was an ass all while he had the job; and when he chose to drag his feet on the last contract negotiations...yep, an ass right to the end (so to speak). His peeps can defend and praise him all day long like he's Jesus, but I'm a pretty good judge of character, as Roseanne Connor said, and that's why I don't like none of 'em.

But you know what I also don't like? Whether or not I can smell the smugness and air of superiority come off him every time I merely look at his picture, the fact remains, he was valued by viewers who grew to be his most ardent supporters and admirers; so IMO, they, and he, deserve a better send-off than what they're getting.

I'm not saying TSJ and Victor deserve a Dorian-like farewell, filled with tears, hugs, reconciliations and nifty flashback montages. But this? A possible murder mystery, or even a mere murder? "Oh, this will impact the entire canvas for a long time to come," they'll say. Bullshit. Say what you really mean, OLTL: you don't like Trevor, you never liked Trevor, you only needed Trevor because he had fans, but now that Roger's back and Trevor was too slow in deciding whether to stay, you can't wait to get rid of Trevor. (Even TSJ offered to remain past his contracted end-date - possibly, to help them script a righteous sendoff, but who knows - but the network essentially said, "Nah, we're good.")

Trust me: three months from now, it'll be like the TSJ Era never happened - which, again, is perfect by me, but maybe not so much for the asshat or his fans.

• Members

I'm not talking about his personality. I'm talking about story. Bottom line: He chose to leave when they wanted him to stay. His character was a flashpoint in the middle of a huge story. What else are they going to do but kill him off and leave the door open for a return? That further propels story without killing the tension completely with some bullshit wrap-up, where oh, Victor and Todd make nice and he waltzes off with Tea. That would have been boring as hell. There's no way this character is actually dead.

I don't buy in the slightest that OLTL "never liked Trevor" and I think when you say that you're unwittingly engaging in the same persecution complex that some of his fans are trying to drum up. It's horseshit. I know for a fact that OLTL was furious about how Howarth left in 2003 - screwing them over in a very specific way - and were more than happy to recast, and went ahead with TSJ full-bore. He was frontburner for years to come, heavily promoted and written for and catered to. This was an actor whom they gave full dispensation and discussed in glowing terms. I did not detect the slightest hesitation. It was hardly a Greg Vaughan situation. I also know for a fact, and I'm not talking about press pieces, that they did intend to keep him around long-term opposite RH, as Victor to his Todd, if TSJ had agreed to stay on. Two Todds clashing on contract was a dream for them. It was not the plan to write him out or throw him off the show. And anyone who says otherwise just wants an outlet for their anger and disappointment. I know that's not you, but I am telling you, it's not the case. So the entire premise is false.

And again, as for why the show told him no when he came back: AMC and OLTL have been basically abandoned by the network now in terms of money. They have very little cash left. Under these constraints they were unable to rewrite (and, I believe, reshoot) major amounts of material for a giant murder mystery. It was not a simple matter of a few drop-ins. They simply could not do it. His fans won't believe this because it's more convenient to believe everything ABC or OLTL is a giant evil plan to screw you and your favorite actors - and sometimes, it really is! - but in this instance, it's just a sad case of business affairs.

Archived