GH: Classic Thread

• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Thanks again, Carl. Please post any more Gerald Gordon GH articles you can find when you can. I understand GH signing him in 1976 away from TD, NBC and the East Coast was a HUGE coup for the show and ABC. Unfortunately for them, it doesn't seem like lightning struck twice and his GH character was nowhere near as popular as Dr. Nick Bellini had been.

• Members

80s GH was extremely well directed and far superior in that department to all the other soaps even to this day. That aftermath shot with first Tiffany and Emma, then pan to Rick and Leslie and finally what looks to be a crane shot over to Dan and Ruby is beyond anything seen on soaps before or since. If the shot called for tracking on a dolly or a crane, or overhead, they just did it.

This clip is not able to be embedded but I love it, the ending is so well done and it is one of my favorite GH scenes of all time:

https://youtu.be/NKjy_OrnhS0

The ending when it goes silent for a beat is perfect and then the crowd shot. There is no way any soap could stage this scene today. The money is just not there for quality production values.