GH: Classic Thread

• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I have been looking for this scene for years. I haven't seen it in ages, but I was sure it existed - Luke kills David Gray with the psychic powers of his mind and/or the Sword of Malkuth. I'm still not sure what the [!@#$%^&*] happened in a) this entire storyline or B) here.

Edited by Vee

• Members

wub.png Tiffany and Emma Lutz!wub.png . Breathless Mahoney(AKA Jackie Templetoes) is whining. Luke used what little of his brain was left to destroy David Greybiggrin.pngbiggrin.png Leaving him the husk that is now Queen Antonia struggling with DID(Dumb Idiot Dips*it).raspberry.gif A raspberry for the award this whole convoluted mess deserved. Of course, when I was 12 I thought it was awesome!

• Members

Whoever directed that was an ass man (or woman)...

Seriously, you can see why the directing team of this era revolutionized soaps. That last shot is perfect - a quiet, simple-but-satisfied ending to all that yelling and hysteria.

God bless Norma Connolly, one of the most underrated actors ever on soap, for adding just the right amount of believability to the whole thing.

How long was Emma Lutz around? She's a lot of fun.

If this story had been a hit I wonder if soaps would have become even more ridiculous in this era. Look at those last fight scenes - it's all coked-up frenzy, something that never should have left a pitch meeting.

The best part is the Flash Gordon/Moroder score, which is so effective and pulsating. No wonder they kept it for nearly another decade.

• Members

I don't recall my ditzy Emma Lutz appearing any later than 83. She was great for much needed comic relief, and her quirky friendship with Lila was adorable. I loved Tiffany in this era, too. Not that she wasn't always a favorite, but her first year was her most fun. SW had so many great stories. As for Templetoes, DM was never a favorite on GH, I did like some of her movies, though. I remember my mother always looking up at the tv and saying she needed a shave! Aunt Ruby is a loss the show could never replace, Norma Connolly was a one of a kind, like a Connie Ford, and Ruby was always the one with the straight, cut through the bulls*it person. I hope they don't try to cast a young Ruby for their flashbacks, I don't even want to think who they would hire!

• Members

Sure, it was coked up, but it worked. The energy was right for the time. You can get away with a lot in these OTT sci-fi stories if the acting and writing and production is there, and IMO it often was back in the day. Luke becoming an X-Man might have been a step too far, though.

They also regularly appropriated classic film scores of the era in these old stories - they're liberally lifting from John Carpenter's music for Escape From New York here.

Edited by Vee

• Members

I think part of it worked, but Luke waving the sword and David hiding behind the shield...I cringed. A lot.

Tristan Rogers is always so much fun in the stuff from Robert's first few years. It's too bad they made him more dour later on.

Edited by DRW50