GH: Classic Thread

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I have continued my 2016- August rewatch and I’m shocked how good 2016 was overall 

So much screen time for Liz, Laura etc. OFC you can tell who the writers favorites are but it was really more balanced.

I find myself enjoying the Morgan-Bipolar story much more this time around compared to when I first watched. He made me really feel for him

bur that serial killer storyline the had going was A

Please register in order to view this content

! Like seriously. I enjoyed it for a bit when Finn was a suspect but otherwise they didn’t even tried with this one.

And the way they revealed to the audience who it was (Paul Hornsby) was the most random revelation I’ve ever seen on a soap opera. Like seriously they didn’t even tried with that one and it felt like they just wanted to get it over with lol

I enjoyed both Nick’s tbh. The replacement after Tyler left (Nick Stabile) wasn’t bad. I wish they would’ve hired him back after it was clear Tyler won’t be back. 

Hayden vs Liz was really amazing and it was great to see Becky so much on screen during 2016. her love story was Franco was handled so well and make me miss Franco even more tbh. 
I don’t get what it is with GH‘s writers. They had a sister for Liz back in the day (Sarah.. Who barely got mentioned and was never brought back) and turned Liz enemie Hayden into her half-sister.. Which was great after they were hating each other for nearly a year. BUT the. Not even a few months later they let go of Budig and the role of Hayden.. WHY? This doesn’t make any sense why we had to bother with Hayden being Liz sister twist when they didn’t even cared for her in a long run. I mean she had a great feud and a romantic pairing with Finn yet the writers didn’t gave a damn. Why do they hate Liz and the Webber’s side so much. Just like with the Hardy’s.  Liz is the granddaughter of Steve yet they don’t do anything with the remaining Hardy’s who are alive. 

and we have Genie-Laura front burner! I know people seem not fond of Laura and Kevin and find them boring. BUT I love them. I mean LnL was Laura‘s youth and exiting adventurous and unstable life while with Kevin she has finally settled down. She has now a stable and built herself a real home which she could never had with Luke if we are honest. People complain that we don’t have couples like Steve-Audrey or Tom-Alice from Days and I think we finally could have that with Laura-Kevin. They do have chemistry. It’s not the LnL or FnF kinda chemistry but the more mature respectable kinda chemistry and I am enjoying them so much. 

I love how they took their time with Franco-Liz and Kevin-Laura pairings in 2016. god I love it

• Members

After 3 weeks I finally finished May 1981..

Finally some excitement! Luke stole the ice princess at the auction and made them all mad and drove them crazy. I loved it. Laura was shown as more clever and strong against the Q’s who tried to use her against Luke to finally get that damn ice princess.

BUT thank you Mister Tony Cassadine. My man was sick and tired of the failures of his men and them getting fooled by an amateur like Luke. He was so mad and I felt like Mister Cassadine! He spoke what me and definitely a few others of the audience must’ve felt back then lol 

Rick is trying to win back Lesley but she ain’t making it easy and is still seeing Tony. Love it.

Joe has become more and more obsessed with Diana’s murder but figured out that Nurse Shirley Vernon wasn’t at that big accident in February where Rick and Jeff helped out and where Heather was! Nice twist. Heather managed to get away with sneaking around as Shirley but now it’s coming back to bite her. But not even that. Sarah is messing with her and that damn gun. If I were Heather I would be careful.

1980 was such a strong year for Alan and Monica and now they are taking their time with that Susan-Alan story. It has become such a snoozefest which is a damn shame.

And what the actual hell ? What is this nonsense with the Hutch trying to stay alive in jail story? I know we all loved Hutch in 1980 but why do we need him? Why is his story needed? I mean they could’ve used him more in that Luke against the Q’s and Cassadines story but nah. This is the most unneeded and most boring storyline in 60 damn years of GH. It’s a shame coz they could’ve done more with Hutch!

Robert and O’reilley were after Luke! It was so hilarious and so touching how the Whittakers and Beachers Corners got brought back. They helped him without any questions. 
may was definitely a step up to April..

Now I start wondering. Should I watch September 2016 or June 1981… But I’m also interested in going back to January 2006. Even though we all hate Guza, Wolf, JFp or whoever was doing the show back then coz of bad casting decisions and some questionable writing..it was still exciting to watch. There was always something too look forward too and the cast was fire between 2006-2008..When Frank-Ron took over and gave GH a refresh it was good but that ran out faster than Guza and his crew lol..  I first thought about watching January 2007 and then go through my favorite story metro court hostage.. But it would make more sense to start 2006. But I also like 81,2016.. It’s a tough decision.. should I continue my old watch or start 2006?

• Members

I watched a very old edit with Alan, before he was married to Monica. She and the original Rick were in the scenes too. It started with Alan and Rick at the hospital, and they are on the pre-Monty set. It was so strange to see Alan on that set, even though I know he was on the show during that transition period. But in my mind it just doesn’t fit.

It’s kind of like watching Riche episodes with the old ambulance opening. I watched the show live back then, and she was EP for a year before Faces of the Heart. But it seems strange now to see the old era bumped up against the new when I see full episodes from that time.

• Members

31 December 1973 is the first episode I see with Bridget being credited as writer alone (previously she was credited with her parents or sister Deborah Hardy). She is credited with Jerry from 23 August 1974 up to 7 July 1975, the last summary I have.

• Members

Yes! Mentally for me, Riche era GH begins at the 30th anniversary with the red saxaphone open. It is weird to see her work with the old open attached. I really liked the Bill Levinson writing era, it had a very serious tone on top of GH's overall humanist heartfelt vibe at the time.

Edited by Planet Soap

• Members

Agree. The new opening and the hospital sets being sort of a pink color is mentally where Riche lives. But she almost a year to get there. I went back after my post and watched a bunch of edits from her first year. Seeing characters like Karen and Jagger at the nurses station with the old colors just seems wrong. But again, the hospital refresh happens towards the end of 1992, and the new intro is April of 1993.

Edited by titan1978

• Members

Jump back in time and check out what was happening in May 1974!

Wednesday, May 1, 1974: Wallace Baxter from the State Department meets with Steve and tells him that a secure area was breached and it might have been American radicals trying to send government secrets to China; Kira begs Steve to give her information, and that she saw Baxter in the hospital; when he objects that it might be an interesting news tidbit on her broadcast, she promises to say nothing if he has dinner with her; he agrees.  Diana turns Joel down for a date; Augusta asks Diana if she minds if Augusta has Peter over for dinner; Diana has to pretend she doesn’t mind.

Thursday, May 2: Further lab tests show there is nothing physically wrong with Mai-Lin; Steve tells Henry he has no choice but to release Mai-Lin; Mai-Lin is startled and distressed, and Steve realizes she understands English; Kira is surprised to learn that Steve was born in China; she wonders if it was just a coincidence that the dancer ended up in his care.  Jim tells Audrey that Howie returned his letter he wrote to the hospital board; Jim learns from a friend in Boston that Joel’s family has a history of hereditary heart problems.

Friday, May 3: Mrs. Dawson is stricken when Jane tells her she is moving out of the apartment.  Joel receives a phone call from his brother, Owen, who is having a heart attack.  In the x-ray room, Mai-Lin speaks to Steve; she tells him she will die if she has to return to China.

Monday, May 6: Henry goes to Mai-Lin’s room and confesses she is the best thing to happen to him since Sharon; embarrassed, Henry adds that he is glad she doesn’t speak English.  Jessie encourages Peter to attempt to get to know baby Martha.  Jim tells Audrey he wants to make Joel take a physical exam to test his heart.

Tuesday, May 7: Joel tells Diana that he is hopeful that his brother can be transferred to General Hospital by the end of the week.  Peter tells Jessie he will try to get to know Diana’s baby, but he wants to do it when Diana isn’t around.  Jessie is surprised when Steve tells her that Mai-Lin’s father, Jung Lu, was Steve’s best friend as a child; he also tells her that Mai-Lin wants to defect to the United States and that he doesn’t know how to help her.

Wednesday, May 8: Jim arranges for Joel to have a physical with Lesley.  Lesley tells Jessie she is excited by her work to set up the free clinic.  Joel is annoyed when Jim orders him to have the physical.

Thursday, May 9: Henry learns that Mai-Lin hasn’t been released and Steve can’t elaborate as to why; Kira is upset when Steve turns down her invitation to dinner; Kira’s mother tells her that Dr. Hardy isn’t one to come running when she calls.  Diana meets with Lee and admits that she still has hopes for her marriage and asks if it is possible, should she ever want to, to stop the divorce.  Mai-Lin meets secretly with Steve in his office; she tells him her family is Christian, and that she carries the Bible that was once Steve’s father’s; it is her faith that lets her know that Steve will help her.

Friday, May 10: Owen Stratton arrives at the hospital and Joel introduces him to Diana; when Peter learns that Diana is working overnight, he decides to go to her apartment to hold Martha; when he finally has a chance to get acquainted with her, Peter can’t resist the baby’s charms.  Jane dreams of Lee, and Howie wakes her; she feels guilty, and Howie senses her reluctance to tell him about it.

Monday, May 13: Audrey defends Jim when Joel lets his hostility of Jim show; Lesley examines Joel; he refuses a heart stress test.  When Peter tells Lesley that he went and saw Martha and they bonded, Lesley kisses him; Augusta witnesses and misinterprets.

Tuesday, May 14: Diana is gentle when Owen tells her of some of the hardships of his life.  Steve tells Jessie that Mai-Lin’s father supports her desire to stay in America.  Jim tells Audrey that he is annoyed that Joel refused the stress test.

Wednesday, May 15: Lee joins Jane and Mrs. Dawson in the coffee shop; Mrs. Dawson notices that Lee’s presence flusters Jane.  Audrey confesses to Lee that drinking seems to ease Jim’s hand pain and that she is worried that he is going to become an alcoholic;  Peter visits with Martha again and accidentally leaves his watch behind; meanwhile Joel confesses to Diana that he’s never quite felt about anyone the way he feels for her; Diana is sensitive to him, but keeps it light.

Thursday, May 16: When Audrey suggests to Jim that he assist Joel in some surgery, he angrily asks Audrey if she expects him to crawl to Joel and ask.  Alone with Steve, Mai-Lin gives Steve the Bible, with a record of his family history; when he begins reading his favorite passage, Mai-Lin finishes it from memory; Steve promises that he will find a way to help her.

Friday, May 17: Lesley urges Diana to give Peter another chance.  Henry is mortified to learn that Mai-Lin speaks and understands English.  Steve admits to Kira that there are things about Mai-Lin he doesn't want her to know; she says she wished he trusted her enough to confide in her.  Diana finds Peter’s watch and is pleased, but makes Mrs. Morgan, the babysitter, promise not to tell that she knows Peter was there.

Monday, May 20: When Joel interrupts Peter and Diana, so that Diana can go check on Owen, Peter tells Augusta he would like to go an art exhibition with her; Augusta brags to Lesley that she is going with Peter, and Lesley shares her concern over Peter and Diana; Augusta suspects there is more self interest to Lesley’s concern.  Owen is very grateful to Diana; he asks about her life and notices her wedding ring; she tells him she is going through a divorce; we get the impression Owen likes her.

Tuesday, May 21: Kira learns from Jessie that Steve was once married to Audrey Hobart.  Peter reassures Lesley that he and Augusta are just friends; Lesley urges him to tell Diana that he has bonded with Martha; Diana decides not to return Peter’s watch, as she doesn't want to reveal she knows he has been to see the baby.

Wednesday, May 22: Joel tells Jim why he didn’t need to take the stress test, that he is physically fine and expects to be around for quite awhile.  Mai-Lin asks Steve why Henry hasn’t been in to see her; Steve reminds Henry of his obligation to check Mai-Lin; when he goes in to see her, he is brisk and efficient to cover his embarrassment over her understanding things he's said to her; she is saddened by his change and tells him; Henry says he said things he shouldn’t have and she tells him she wishes he meant all he said.  Audrey, without consciously intending to, refutes Lee’s points as to why it isn’t likely that Jim will become an alcoholic.

Thursday, May 23: Mrs. Dawson asks if Jane is interested in another man; Jane denies it; Howie returns home and manages to irritate Jane.  Jim is very low and tells Audrey he doesn’t think he’ll ever perform surgery again; she tries to cheer him up, but is less than successful.

Friday, May 24: Lucille and Al give Audrey a birthday present - a photo of Tommy that Al has taken.  Owen is low and afraid for his life; he tells Diana that no one really cares about him; she tells him she cares.  Kira tells Steve that the longer that Mai-Lin is in the hospital without explanation, the more problems there will be; while she is asleep, Mai-Lin’s room is searched; she is awakened in time to see a man leaving.

Monday, May 27: Steve and Henry speculate how the intruder got into Mai-Lin’s room; Steve tells Mai-Lin nothing was taken.  Jane and Lee have lunch; she feels guilty about her feelings for him and tells him she doesn’t think she will be able to see him for lunch anymore.  Lesley sees Augusta tying a necktie on Peter in the medicine room; Lesley points out that it’s a good thing Diana didn’t see; Augusta points out that’s nothing compared to the kiss Lesley gave Peter.

Tuesday, May 28: Jim finds Owen’s chart and is interested to learn that he had a heart attack.  Mai-Lin asks Henry questions about Sharon; he is tentative and shy.  Wallace Baxter talks to Steve and learns of the intruder who searched Mai-Lin’s room; he reminds Steve of the radicals trying to pass secrets to China; when Steve off-handedly asks Baxter’s opinion on Mai-Lin defecting, Baxter warns that it would be unfortunate to have anything happen to jeopardize American-Chinese relations.

Wednesday, May 29: Jessie admits to Steve that she answered some of Kira’s personal questions about Steve; Steve tells Jessie that it is possible that Mai-Lin may be involved in a conspiracy to pass government secrets, and that Mai-Lin may not be aware.  Jim talks to Joel about Owen and offers to look at him; Joel refuses the offer.  Peter asks Diana if he can come to the apartment to bring Martha a toy; Diana is delighted; Audrey reports to Diana that Owen is asking for her; she finds Owen disturbed, with a rapid pulse; he tells her he doesn’t feel well and that he needs her.

Thursday, May 30: Joel tells Lesley he will find time to work in the free clinic once a week; Joel jokes that Owen is lucky and that he wouldn’t mind being sick if Diana was his nurse and Lesley his doctor.  Kira tries to call Steve to warn him of a report she is going to give on her news broadcast; he is unable to take the call.  Howie joins Lee and Jane in the coffee shop and Howie notices that Jane is embarrassed and uncomfortable.  Steve remembers the time he told Kira he was starting to trust her; he turns on the television and watches her broadcast; Kira reports about Wallace Baxter having talked to Steve; angry Steve calls the studio and accuses Kira of betraying him.

Friday, May 31: Joel complains that Diana doesn’t take him seriously.  Jane gets angry when Howie asks if Lee Baldwin is the other man in her life.  Peter finds his watch at Diana’s apartment; she tells him that she found it in the crib and didn’t tell him because he didn’t want her to know he’d been there; Joel calls, interrupting them; Owen had gone into a crisis; Diana leaves Peter with Martha.

• Members

Yes that was an unusual story for GH to tell at the time. a case of the Dobsons trying to go in a different direction?

It also seems that at this point the decision was made to make Jessie a supporting character. Up until now she has rolled from one story to the next, but now she is a talk to.

Maybe the idea was after a decade of trauma, they decided to rest the character for avlittle bit and then start a new romance/major story, but that never happened.

Lee and Jessie could have hooked up and she becomes a stepmother to Scotty. That would have kept her busy in the late 70's.

• Members

Reading these recaps it felt like Jesse was moved to supporting shortly after Diana arrived. All that Phil turmoil moved to Diana, and the recaps had a lot of Jesse listens or Jesse talks to someone, but no actual plot for her as far as I could see. 

Edited by titan1978

• Members

Ugh I saw the cover of an old soap magazine with Luke and Felicia on it. Oh god that was one the worst pairings ever.. Skye and Luke’s story I could get behind in a way but Felicia and Luke? Woah no. I don’t know which pairing was worse Felicia and Luke or Anna/Luke ? Anna and Luke always looked uncomfortable lol They are as bad as John and Hope from Days.. ugh..