Is Bravo's The Housewives SERIES the NEW SOAPS?

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The problem is that a lot of the time when people talk about why these shows are popular you hear someone say it's because they're real. So that idea seems to carry on even when those involved are all but holding scripts in their hands.

I kind of wonder if The Hills shows were more about right place right time. It seems like everyone involved with them has vanished. Usually at least one or two people will have some type of notable career after it's over.

I liked reality TV most when it actually did try to be more genuine. Like Big Brother. No one on that show's early years would ever make it through the door today. The rumor is that they had an awful time casting this season because they would only cast "types," and they struggled to find those. So as a result we get a summer of Rachel yelling at the camera while fourth or fifth rate knockoffs like Lawon take up space in the background.

Like I said before I think Project Runway is another example of what too much scripting can do. Does anyone even watch that now?

• Members

I think a lot of people just say "because they are real" to.. well, to say it. Without going into detail about why they actually like it and what they like about it. It an easy, quick answer. Even if they tune because they are "real" something keeps them watching, and its obviouslny not a 100% documentary of these people real every day lives so something keeps them hooked beyond the "real" factor.

Well, most of them actually have quite successful careers, behind the scenes. But i dont see what that has to do with the show, because the cast were actually high school students/people found to be on the show. It wasnt holding open auditions for wannabe actors to use it as a launch pad for a stardom career, tho most milked it while they could. Lauren Conrad and Whitney Port are both doing very well, Olivia Palermo as well as Erin are as well. Stephen Colleti has been on one tree hill for years now. Trey has a nice clothing line that does well. But most of the Laguna kids grew up and left the show behind them.

But the first season of Big brother was awful. Changing it from a docu style show into a game show was a great move, and with each season it got better and better. They definatly cast for types, because they want drama and conflict. The last two seasons have actually been two of the most entertaining in the series history. And as cheap said, a lot of people from season 2/3/early seasons aside from 1 would totally make it in today. You say kent wouldnt, well jerry sure did and he was a lot like Kent.

Project Runway is an example of a show that should have ended or needs to totally reinvent itself. Its move to lifetime was awful and totally killed the show.

• Members

I don't think Jerry was like Kent, and I don't think he was cast as being similar. I think they cast Kent to be an in-your-face conservative type. I think they believed Jerry would be a loveable older man, a hero, like Rudy on Survivor.

The first season was awful, but the second season had a lot of really interesting people that I can't see being on the show now. The casting just seems so fake to me in recent years. When you watch you can tell who is supposed to be the new Marcellus, the new Janelle, etc. To me it doesn't add conflict as much as some staleness. You can see people reading lines in the Diary Room. I wish they would go back to those first 2 or 3 seasons. I guess the last few years have paid off, in terms of ratings (I don't know how the ratings are at the moment), but the last season I really enjoyed was the one with Libra and Dan and Keesha and Jerry. I think they also cast for "types" but the types didn't really play out as expected, and the show ended up letting things flow naturally.

I see your point about The Hills but for a while there they did take up a lot of media time. I'm glad they have found some success outside of the limelight but I do wonder if they ever connected to the public at large or if it was just a PR machine which ran its course.

• Members

Wow. i compeltely disagree. It was obvious jerry was very much like kent, an !@#$%^&*] and old fashioned.

And of course you cans ee the new janelle's and wills' and whatever, but thats happens with every show thats styled like this after a few seasons because who auditions for it? fans. There is no way to avoid it other than to get people who dont watch the show on it, and when that happens those people suck. And that was season 10, the shows best. It was also the season with no real twists or anything, and all of them were strangers. They definatly casted people as types (Keesha was a total Danielle/janelle/allison, jerry a kent, renny like those older women who always go first, memphis was thought of as a will type, dan was a eric from s8, etc). But that season was only allowed to play out and flow naturally because Keesha did something totally unexpected and flipped the house early on by turning on her alliance. Had that one move not happened it would have been a boring season full of twists a the midway point to try and spice it up.

With the hills, the only ones who actually seeked fame and attention were heidi, spencer, and audrina. The rest did interviews and would promote the show, or their own products and left it at that. I definatly think there was an interest because the magazines did sell and that show was a huge hit for MTV at the time.

• Members

Kent and Jerry both said a lot of nasty things but Kent also had a very strong independent streak, spoke his mind, had moments of being very tolerant and nice. He had a certain dignity in a way. Jerry I saw as more of follower who thought he was a leader (in the game I mean), and very delusional about his game. It was just weird. I remember the producers basically saying that what he was in the house was not what they had expected.

I guess we've gone away from the original topic. Sorry...

• Members

Hahaha... I tend to agree that more and more, these ladies are not housewives. I think part of the reason is they become successful/popular from Season 1, then spend all their money trying to impress for Season 2, and then go broke... so they have to get jobs.

Anyway, I love these shows SO MUCH. Here is the answer to your question (real housewives):

OC:

-Kimberly

-Jo (in the beginning)

-Lauri (in the end)

-Tammy (in the beginning)

-Alexis (in the beginning)

-Peggy

-Tamra (in the beginning)

-Lynne (in the beginning)

-Gretchen (in the beginning)

NYC (originally cast/filmed as "Manhattan Moms"):

-LuAnn