Ratings from the 70's

• Members
MAY 1978 SWEEPS WEEK CHARTS: MONDAY-FRIDAY & SATURDAY EARLY MORNING & DAYTIME:

Please register in order to view this content

NOVEMBER 1978 SWEEPS WEEK CHARTS: MONDAY-FRIDAY & SATURDAY EARLY MORNING & DAYTIME:

• Replies 736
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members
MAY 1979 SWEEPS WEEK CHARTS: MONDAY-FRIDAY & SATURDAY EARLY MORNING & DAYTIME:

Please register in order to view this content

NOVEMBER 1979 SWEEPS WEEK CHARTS: MONDAY-FRIDAY & SATURDAY EARLY MORNING & DAYTIME:

1980's to be posted in the '80s Ratings Thread.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

As I understand it, Kathy was unreliable and missing work. She claimed illness but I think the TPTB knew better, Julia Duffy came in to sub at one point and in a rare move for a soap, OLTL hired Judith Light as Kathy's understudy. The next time she called in sick, they dumped her for Judith. She cried foul and that's the last I could find about it all.

Edited by will81

• Members

Haha, I think around this time many producers felt actors called in sick to grandstand for a better contract. Not sure if she was in negotiations at the time or not. I do feel it was the latter though, she just flaked, not sure why but I just get the vibe from the couple of episodes I've seen of her. 

• Members

Marland took over in Nov 1977. I have a Dec 77 article that states Marland went to GH and Mel and Ethel Brez went to The Doctors the previous month, just not sure if that means they began writing the show but scripts began airing in Dec 77 or if their episodes were airing through Nov 77.

Interestingly, Mel and Ethel Brez were hired by NBCD in the summer of 77 and put through a HW workshop intensive with the goal being that they would take over one of the NBC soaps. I think this was always going to be TD. Since Harding Lemay and Ann Marcus seemed safe in their positions. 

Irving and Tex Elman's script archive suggests they wrote GH from Aug 04, 1977 - Sep 29, 1977 and the Hollands were likely there from Sep 30 - Nov 77. Given GH pushes up to a 7 the week of Nov 14, I wonder if Marland's scripts were already airing by then. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Seems like poor foresight to place Love of Life at 4pm instead of 3:30. The 3:30pm slot is doing well at maintaining GL's audience - perhaps viewers were sticking around til 4pm and letting that hour block conclude before switching off or onto something else. Wonder if the network just didn't have much faith in LOL and keeping a rerun that could pull in numbers was just a wiser move than jeopardizing the slot in the case LOL still manages to underperform. 

• Members

The 3.30-4.30 slot of MASH and Match Game seemed compatible programming. An hour of comedy following the soap block.

So then to drop Match Game for Love of Life seemed odd. LOL had played in the morning for years and expecting viewers to find it in the afternoon was a big ask.

If they really wanted it to work it would have been scheduled following GL with MASH moved to 4pm.

But clearances were lower at 4pm and MASH was probably too valuable to be placed there.

I think it was just a way to get rid of Love of Life and blame the ratings.

• Members

I'm not sure when Jean left. But by the time she arrived LOL was already a sinking ship, it had been for most of the decade. 

It makes sense. I'm sure the network was interested in replacing it by then either way. GH and ABC were heating up and LOL was showing its age and definitely felt outdated.