Ratings from the 70's

• Replies 759
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Just like I've pointed out that it was a mistake to place younger-skewing soaps like The City and Sunset Beach in the noon, moving Love of Life was also dumb. It very much gives off the vibe of your "grandmother's" soap and was probably a good fit for the earlier time slot when those viewers are at home. Expecting those kids, students and younger people that might come home in the afternoon to suddenly start watching Love of Life was idiotic, but then again...

... it was probably this. They could get rid of a somewhat middling performer by making it tank in the late afternoon by appearing to give it a shot as it was just a win-win situation for them here; either it bombs and they're rid of it, or it performs unexpectedly well and fixes a late afternoon slot for them.

• 3 months later...
  • Members

Wow, Y&R at #1 and its not even three years into its run. I wonder if this was Y&R's first #1 week.

So far in this thread 1977-1979 ratings are complete IIRC.

How the network schedules (ET) were in January 1976, starting w/ soaps until the end of the day.

CBS: 11:30 am Love of Life, Noon Y&R, 12:30 pm Search for Tomorrow, 1 pm Local programming, 1:30 pm As the World Turns, 2:30 pm Guiding Light, 3 pm All in the Family reruns, 3:30 pm Match Game, 4 pm Tattletales

ABC: 12:30 pm All My Children, 1 pm Ryan's Hope, 1:30 pm Rhyme and Reason, 2 pm $10000 Pyramid, 2:30 pm The Neighbors, 3 pm General Hospital, 3:30 pm One Life to Live, 4 pm The Edge of Night

NBC: 1:30 pm Days, 2:30 pm The Doctors, 3 pm Another World, 4 pm Somerset

The soap time slot rivalries were

Search for Tomorrow vs. All My Children

As the World Turns vs. Days

Guiding Light vs. The Doctors

General Hospital/One Life to Live vs. Another World

The Edge of Night vs. Somerset

Edited by kalbir

• Members

I can never say for certain until the info arrives, but that is the plan. I also recently got 1994-1995, so those charts will be going up at some point once I get them all done. You already have the OJ Simpson preemption data, but this will be the first time it appears in chart form like all of 1976-1993.