Borders Goes Out of Business

Max

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

This really breaks my heart. I can't tell you the amount of hours I spent in Borders cramming for exams while sipping a warm cup of coffee or hot chocalate in high school. My friens and I use to hang out there all the time (I know, we're dorks.)

Kindles just don't do it for me. I need a BOOK. I hate reading on electronic screens.

• Members

This really saddens me because I LOVE Borders but alas both of my past favorites Waldenbooks and B. Dalton are long gone as well. They already have closed several stores including the one I always went to, sad guess the rest will be gone too. I guess we're down to Barnes&Noble and Books-A-Million now.

• Members

This saddens me a lot. Not just as someone who reads, but as someone who is from Michigan & went to college in Ann Arbor (Borders is based in Ann Arbor, Mi) to see a local company close. It's depressing to see the bookstore go the way of the movie rental store.

• Members

And the economy. My mom belongs to a site called paperback swap and he get a lot of our books that way. I got to bookstores to browse and many times just ask my mom to put the titles on her list to save money.

• Members

Why would anyone pay $15-$30 for a book when you can go online and buy it, new, for much cheaper? Let alone used for way cheaper. I used to love Boarders & B&N, we even had a book nook in our KMart that i loved, but i just cant pay that much for books when i can get them so much cheaper online. I even started selling my gift cards id get for those place online and use the money to buy more books on amazon

• Members

oh, so you're the one who put Borders out of business!

I miss the Virgin Megastore. I was trying to explain to a 20 yr old why I preferred stores to buying online, and he looked at me like I was from Mars. Browsing and wandering was an alien concept, and his idea of browsing was looking at thumbnails of related items at Amazon I guess. You used to be able to spend a good hour or two browsing through Virgin. Oh well, we still have Barnes and Noble, but I bet they are gone in a few years also.

• Members

It either that or go to the library and get it for free there. Why pay money for a book you don't know you will even like? I did just spend $50 at Borders on a book series I knew I wanted and planned to keep.

• Members

Online book shopping is better for me because 9 times out of 10, if I find a book I really want, none of the stores here (or libraries) will have it. You can get almost any book in print online. It's not the physical stores' fault that they can't compete with that, but the fact still remains...they can't compete with that.

Archived