Y&R: Discussion for the Month of July

• Members

Everytime they replay any of the stuff surrounding Cassie's death the contrast between how good the show was then as compared to now is more and more startling. They wrote stories people cared about back then. I hope there's a special spot reserved in soap opera hell for Maria and her minions.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

It was written by Latham, but remember that Latham's first 6 months or so were actually really strong. She got things moving in Jack Smith's stories, which for the mostpart were boring and had awful pacing, and she did wonders with the fallout from the Nick/Phyllis affair.

Those scenes where Sharon confronts Nick in Phyllis's lingerie were dynamite and should have earned Sharon Case an Emmy nomination for Lead Actress that year IMO, though I doubt she could have won against Maura West's slam dunk reel in 2007 (for the Jack/Carly confrontations in '06). I remember constantly siting that performance in particular for Emmy consideration that year. However, despite throwing her hat in the ring for a pre-nom that year, Case unjustly did not get a pre-nom that year. The slots instead went to Stafford & Cooper, and Maura West of course won the big prize.

• Members

Didn't she also have Kay Alden as her guide through her first months. Thats why i think that Y&R still had its strong points in early 2006. By the end of that year it seems as though they lost most of their original writing team and thats when Latham really began to screw things up beginning with Pheila.

Its a shame that Sharon is never really credited at the emmys either. The emmys really overate Cooper and Stafford as talented as they are.

• Members

Oh god Passions would have been terrible, but you have to admit they had strong actors on their too, that if they could carry JER's glass half empty writing, I'm sure most of them could go along with Lathan's twists and turns.

• Members

Well I expected nothing from this clunker of an episode and got exactly that. For shame on them for using Cassie's death scene with Nadia's Theme playing. Good use of that lingerie scene I had completely forgotten about that. This would have been spring of 2006 right? I remember that Nick and Sharon made it to their tenth anniversary and celebrated it but after that it was pretty much over. They forgot about Sharon's affair with Brad and being blackmailed by Phyllis though. Nick and Sharon use to be an interesting couple for all of the domestic drama and all those affairs the two always had managed someway somehow to stick with it. At least til Phick. Really Phick was another lazy story of infidelity for the pair, how it became popular to the point it got to there 2007-09 is beyond me.

I did like how they preserved the original music for that clip, a classic Y&R score used throughout from the late 80s and all way to at least 2000. Don't remember for sure if it was the same ep as Chris and Paul being run over though. I wanna say Matt raping Sharon happened just a before or even after that but no later than February. Or maybe vice versa. For some reason I recall Chris and Paul getting mowed down as being New Year's Eve '94.

• Members

It was New Years Eve 94, December 30, 1994 (the original airdate) Is when Phyllis would commit a crime so harsh, so evil that its taking almost 17 years in the making to come out. (which of course it will probably never LOL)

I'm gonna have to find the update recap for that episode on the old google boards, and post it. It was during Paul and Chris's first wedding day and i think they found out something about Phyliss on their way to the chapel and thats why she ran them over. I am also pretty sure that Matt raped Sharon in the episode, im going to have to find the update like i said.

Archived