DAYS: Freddie Smith joins cast

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

He was interviewed and said he wasn't doing much. That he was just hanging out with the rest of the teen crowd. But he had no clue who or if he would have a love interest. He said he and Chad Massey(his character Will) had played up a little flirtation but not anymore. Smith said he wasnt sure if Will or Chad or a new character would be his love interest. He hasnt worked with his onscreen parents anymore.

If they arent going to do a gay storyline with Sonny and Will or Chad ...I wish they would let us know..so I could stop watching this show. I guess I will have to just check around when he is on.

I'm not interested in the big returns. DH heavy breathing....Drake H...eyebrow acting...awful actor....Carrie/Sami 2.0 for the millionth time...

• Members

Who did the interview? I'm just curious.

There's a huge transition coming into play with the new writers. Nothing's certain for now, obviously, so no one is rally safe I guess. Ken Corday was pretty vocal in "pimping" the gay storyline when he was talking up the new "Days" in SOD (not sure what issue, but it wasn't too long ago), so I have doubts that they are going to drop it completely.

Will's coming out is always going to be about WILL. It's been a slow build, but Will is the core character involved in this, with ties to everyone, and he's been on the canvas a long time, albeit in the form of different actors. The storyline should first involve him, his parents (they really do need to bring back Lucas for this), and maybe Austin because he thought WIll was his son for so long. Obviously Marlena will be involved as well, among others;

They really should have Sonny be supporting through WIll's coming to terms with his sexuality. At this point, he doesn't need to be front and center. If they do have Will come out for sure, Sonny should be there on the side for support and for the building of a supposed relationship. Frankly, I'm happy if they take their time with this. Shoving characters into pairings right away with no organic growth can be disastrous, especially when one half is a newbie who really hasn't been all that developed yet, outside of "I'm out and proud". Yes, he's part of a core family, but he's not yet a core character on the show, and he should be developed over time.

If he's not working much now, it doesn't mean he won't later. Look at Suzanne Rogers. Backburnered for years before being front and center, and the storyline with Victor has been worth the wait.

Patience is key here. Let's not have another Nuke on our hands here. :)

• Members

Patience is definitely key. Especially for the bible-beaters who watch DAYS and don't want to see homosexuals on their soaps. You gotta reel 'em in first with Sonny, make him just like any other character, so they can grow attached to him. Turning DAYS into a PFLAG organization overnight would only turn those kinds of viewers off right away. Look at OLTL's mistakes...

• Administrator

I agree. I liked the pace that the storyline has been going and that the show isn't doing a Will/Sonny romance right away. We barely know Sonny and even though Will (teenage Will) has only been on for the last 3 years, we barely know him too.

• Members

Exactly. It wasn't that there was a "gay storyline" that might've turned fans away from the show (although, I tend to blame other, non-related factors), but that virtually overnight, OLTL made LOGO look like the Hallmark Channel! I mean, I'm gay, and even I felt it was becoming a little much.

Listen, homosexuality is like abortion or even birth control; there are individuals out there whose thoughts or opinions about the subject will never change no matter what. But, what's so wonderful about daytime drama is its ability to get past the politics and promote understanding. You might not condone a character's given sexual preference, but if the story is told properly, you will begin to care for and even empathize with him for reasons that have nothing to do w/ sexuality. But that will only happen after taking the proper time to allow us to get to know him beyond the controversial aspects of his story.

• Members

His story didnt dry up, its just going at the same pace it alays has been. He isnt an A character or in an A storyline. This isnt the Sonny Show.

He said he doesnt know who is being paired with, if its will or someone new or chad. He said he and CM had played up some flirtation but it hasnt gone anywhere yet. Thats it. Nothing new, nothing shocking. More of the same we have been hearing for months. He is hanging out with the other kids in his age range, and he is having scenes with some vets too. We are learning more about him, he is getting a job, etc.. They are weaving him into the canvas and telling his story. I like it.

If the only reason you are watching is for a gay couple, you prob should quit to be honest. However, if you are watching for a gay character and to see his story, then you should keep watching.

I am much more interested in who Sonny is and who he is becoming than who he is kissing to be honest.

• Members

It was a mistake to start Will's story just as Sonny arrives. Will's story should have started months ago. As it is now, in an age of these insta-couples, by the time they do pair them up, a lot of the viewers who might have been interested will have moved on.

I also don't quite get why we needed another story about a sexually confused guy who sleeps with a woman. This does happen in real life, all the time, but in terms of soap stories I think it would have been better to avoid some of that. Unless they have Will as bi, which would be interesting, but bisexuals don't exist on most of TV (unless they're sluts or psychos).

• Members

That's the problem ..where is his story?

I'm watching for both reasons. What the hell is there to watch?? Apparently nothing..and I am not alone since Days ratings are in the toilet.

I dont like to be told what to do....that I shouldnt watch or watch...

• Members

His story is reconnecting with his family, bonding with friends, getting a job, going to school. Living his life. Like everyone on Dyas not named EJ there is no on solid story for him. Hopefully that changes, and i do feel like the job he gets ties into a bigger story they are setting up.

Days sucks. Through and through, and all around. Thats why the ratings are down.

And im not telling you what to do, you said, "If they arent going to do a gay storyline with Sonny and Will or Chad ...I wish they would let us know..so I could stop watching this show." ... I pointed out that as of right now, they are not. And that if that is why you are watching, for that one story, then you should do as you said and stop watching. Thats it.

I would much rather stories be told using Sonny and stories for Sonny be about him and whats going on, as opposed to he is gay. Let Will/Chad/whoever come out in a bit, and as i think carl said, Sonny should be there for him and offer support - and nothing more, at least for awhile. That sounds much better than a rushed romance.

• Members

The fact that they included Freddie Smith in the press reception/junket says a lot, IMO. They're not dumping the character or forgetting about him. When I spoke to him, he didn't say that he hasn't been working much. He said he isn't involved in a love story (and was adamant about wanting one). Kate Mansi was also very, very positive about the work they've done together. And honestly, Days knows that it needs the PR that having a gay character is bringing...

Archived