OLTL: Discussion for the week of May 9

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

She was more misunderstood and lashing out than crazy. She knew what she was doing. She was just hurting and was spiteful.

The story where she slowly reformed was very well-acted and written. Now she's just a joke.

At least it's been a way for Susan Haskell to get to have some fun I guess.

• Members

I keep telling myself she's only behaving this way b/c she's lost Cole and Patrick and needs to hold onto something after suffering so many traumas in such a short period of time. Frank and Ron probably don't see it that way, though.

• Members

As great as Susan and Roger Howarth were together, I really think that her work in the months before the rape story started, when Marty was genuinely trying to become a better person because of the respect that Viki, Andrew, Cassie, Jessica, Jason, Suede, had shown her, was her best work. Some of those scenes, especially with Jessica, were wonderful. While I know that it was the rape story which made her so prominent, I think that earlier time was probably her peak as a character.

• Members

I thought Marty's descent into madness was handled quite well and made sense with what we saw on screen. Its not like she woke up one day and was bat sh-t crazy. She slowly started to crack until she finally lost all grip of reality.

• Members

For me the story of her insanity made no sense without Todd. To have the show basically laugh at Todd raping Marty (twice) and never address it again kind of took this away from being anything other than a cheap joke.

• Members

well they did work Todd into the story early on. He's one of the people that helped push her further over the edge when he got the court order denying her contact with Hope. He was convinced that she was framing him for Eddie Ford's murder as revenge. Too bad the show didnt have her teach him a lesson, like "you want me to go after you for revenge, then fine.Ask and you shall recieve" That was a missed oppurtunity, but Todd was involved in this story when it began last year

• Members

I just watched the John/Kelly clips. I thought they were nice. They really do have nice chem. It's nice to see John interact with a strong woman. Even though she was a victim in this particular situation, Kelly has been her own person in this situation, unlike this recent incarnation of Marty who's been a mess. That's a shame because in a lot of ways Marty is one of the strongest women in Llanview right now except for being focused on John. Back when she kicked him to the curb and tossed his sorry carcass at Nat THAT was the pinnacle of Marty's strength because she put herself first. She dumped McBain because she didn't like how being with him turned her into to something needy, deceitful and pathetic (***coughNataliecough***).

Now we have Kelly in the familiar situation of victimized girlfriend in hospital and John working all his usual moves to show us how worried he is: the constant stroking of her hair, the "sweetheart", the fighting his cop instinct by suspending questioning ("don't say anymore"). Despite the cliche of it all, they're still very nice together.

Archived