Bin Laden killed

Soapsuds

• Members

^^ Hahaha :lol:

Oh boy, I am not sure where even to begin in commenting on this. For sure this is some sort of closure for anyone who lost family or someone close to them on that dreadful September day almost 10 years ago and closure for the nation that mourned together alongside the rest of the world, but I mean aside from that can we really call this much of a victory?

-It took them almost a decade

-He wasn't even in some remote location, by the sounds of it he was living in luxury

-The United States along with coalition countries have fought two wars with depending on who you talk to, less than substantial results and countless lives lost on both sides...

AND

Not to mention the fact it is the American government and military in the 1980's who armed this man and his insurgents against the the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan.

Good for Obama, this does nothing but help him and solidify his relection chances next year and makes George W. Bush look like even more of a loser than he already was.

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

LeClerc, LMAO! :lol: :lol:

And I find it interesting that they presumed to know none of the other countries wanted his body and because of that it was also a requisite for the burial at sea.

• Administrator

Didn't see the story of the guy live tweeting about the raid but didn't know it was the US coming in for OBL. Amazing story!

The coverage may be better but I choose depending on the anchor. For me last night, I chose Brian Williams and MSNBC. I don't know the BBC people so I have no interest in their feed.

• Members

BBC is da bomb.

I fully believe Pakistan knew and I don't accept the US official explanation of foreign countries not wanting his body, hence the quickie burial. If not Pakistan, at the very least Saudi Arabia would have wanted it. I'm still amazed that this dude was living in a remote million dollar mansion living in the lap of luxury and it took almost TEN years to find this dude. Mind boggling.

• Members

Oh they knew, how couldn't they? Like Kelly Ripa said on Live this morning, they might as well have had a neon sign pointing straight at his compound. Seriously who has what was it, 7 feet high wall with barbed wire and guards and whatnot and doesn't raise some kinds of suspicions

• Members

There were two British anchors on CNN when I turned it on, and it felt odd. I can't imagine watching it on the BBC. I would have it was this time last year, but it was just...strange for me.

• Members

I really despise American news media, like do we really need an in-depth critique on Obama's speeches at this particular time? :rolleyes:

Just give me the damn news, and cut the bullsh!t. That's always been my philosophy. The major US news networks always have this sensationalistic pull or fulff attachments.

Al Jazeera English is pretty awesome too, btw.

• Members

Congratulations to the military and President Obama on this outstanding accomplishment. I honestly thought Bin Laden would never be caught, and had given up all hope. Even if you are a Republican (like I am), you have to give massive credit to Obama for succeeding where Bush failed miserably; Bush should have been the one who caught Bin Laden, but he did not because he became distracted with Iraq. (Just to clarify, I don't think it was a mistake that we went into Iraq; however, we should have captured Bin Laden first.)

I apologize for being so crass as to discuss politics at a moment like this, but I disagree with an earlier poster who stated that Obama's re-election is ironclad as a result of Bin Laden's capture. One major reason why I Obama's re-election is not 100% guaranteed is because most people have pretty short memories (it's sad but true): if the election was to be held a month from now, Obama would be a shoo-in; yet, since it is still 18 months away, most voters (given their short-term memories) will primarily focus on the events that will occur during the months of September & October 2012. The other major reason why Obama's re-election is not a sure thing has to do with the fact that the vast majority of people (farily or unfairly) place a far greater emphasis on domestic matters (specifically the economy and job market) than on foreign affairs/terrorism.

In case you think that I am blowing smoke with the above explanation, I suggest you recall what happened to George H.W. Bush: his approval rating was once at 91% due to his brilliant handling of the first Gulf War, and some even speculated that he would run unoppossed for re-election. Yet, some 18 months or so later, he was defeated for re-election because he was blamed for a recession (by November 1992, people had forgotten or didn't care about his earlier foreign policy triumphs). However, that being said, I currently believe that Obama would be the strong favorite for re-election, even if Bin Laden was still alive, for the following two reasons: First and foremost, the current crop of Republican candidates is incredibly lackluster. And secondly, chances are that unemployment will improve quite a bit by November 2012.

Politics aside, this is a great day to be an American. While Bin Laden's capture (unfortunately) does not materially reduce the terrorism threat level that we all face, the capture shows that we as a people will bring to justice those that wronged us.

Archived