Somerset Discussion Thread

• Members

In an great story, the town is built up as one of the characters. The town has its own character based on those who live there and their interconnected lives and businesses. if you want to learn what this means, read Agatha Christie's first Miss Marple book, MURDER AT THE VICARAGE.

You are incorrect about the two shows not having strong ties. During the first year, the ties were direct and characters crossed shows a lot. Even during the second year, Robin Strasser was appearing here and there, as were other charaxters like John Randolph.

One last tie to AW for Somerset was the suicide of Laura Delaney Coopper. Robert was at her funeral as were a few other AW characters.

• Replies 415
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Take a look at the cast list to see some of the cross-overs. Sam Lucas was at her funeral with his sister Ada.

I thought Joel was a good actor but not a great one. Very sexy and he knew it and was more than a little arrogant about it. He used to party a lot with a cousin of mine and EVERYONE knew he was gay outside of tv viewers. He used to attend quite a few of Louis Edmonds parties out on Long Island. Somewhere out there is a photo from one of those parties in the late 1970s with Joel, half naked as usual, Louis and a few other gay actors. I have forgotten the name of Joels off-again, on-again boyfriend but he was also a pretty boy.

Joel was one of those actors who, IMO, never got "dirty." He never really let himself go as an actor.

• Members

What did you feel about Audrey Landers, Sigourney Weaver, Ted Danson, Jobeth Williams? Did you think they'd go on to big things?

I always wonder if the last year of the show was the big improvement which some of the soap press said.

Sorry to keep asking questions.

• Members

Avis was on around a year? I can't remember. I wish I could see her.

Did you see Vicki Paisley as a great character (as some soap critics did)? What about the Ellen/Dale romance? Do you think it shouldn't have been ended?

• Members

You might enjoy them even more once I get the early years sorted out - may take some time. But you can still see how the show changed a LOT after 1973. 1974 hd so many short term stories (usually 3 to 6 months). Tony Cooper's sorry was not bad. I always liked Lois Smith as Zoe so was glad to see her back, even if only for a few months. Tina Sloan as Kate was always good, and I did like Bibi Besch as Eve. I am not done with 1975 at all, but will post the first nine months as they are in good shape. Pulled them together from multpile sources as with the prior two years. The hard thing is that I keep finding bits of storylines...

Edited by toml1962

• Members

Cast list I posted will answer your question. Jameson Parker left the show to go on OLTL which is why the story ended. I did think Vicki was a good bad girl until she turned over a new leaf. After 1975 the show really did not have the bad girl thing. It was all crime-oriented and little by little that theme absorbed the entire show. Once again Ellen and Jill were on the sidelines. Sad that Georgeanne Johnson got sick in early December and what storyline she had planned - marrying Luke - had to be cut out along with both characters.

• Members

In an on-line audio interview with Rioux, she explained that she had left the show after difficulty with executives who bullied her and told her they were going to fire her. She never mentioned any problems with homosexuals making her flee. I'd love to see a link to the "homosexual" quote. As you say, Carl, that would have been an extraordinarily absurd reason to quit any job.

• Members

I thought she was around a lot longer than that. Thanks.

So Ellen - the only remaining original cast member - wasn't even there at the end? That's a shame.

I wonder why they treated her that way, since she'd been so popular on AW. Executives always ruin things.

• Members

As someone who watched the show religiously from beginning to end, it's always struck me that some of the actors whom I thought were destined for bigger and better things never found the fame they deserved. Both Gary Swanson and (particularly) Gene Bua were extraordinarily attractive, personable and charismatic; perfect romantic leading men material, but neither one of them had much mainstream success. Jobeth Williams was quite appealing on the show; very likeable, right from the start. Ted Danson and Sigourney Weaver were good, but no better or no worse (IMHO) than many other competent soap actors have been. Audrey Landers was a curious case. She was not a good actress, and had limited range, but she still exuded an indefinable "star appeal" that made you want to watch her, and have her on the show.