Somerset Discussion Thread

• Replies 415
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

The character was named Frieda Lang. I cannot remember much about the storyline (probably because I did not care for it and did not watch). This was when Roy Winsor began writing the show. He, rather than adding a lot of young characters, added a lot of seasoned characters and performers: Jane Rose, Abby Lewis, Molly Picon, Polly Rowles, etc.

• Members

Two other older performers on the show were Clarice Blackburn and Lou Jacobi. Molly Picon left her role, which was recast. I am thinking that Clarice Blackburn may have been recast in the role. Lou Jacobi, I think, was also on the show. Coincidentally, his grandson appeared on One Life to Live (possibly during the same time).

• Members

Somerset had a lot of ups and downs, mainly thanks to whoever was writing it at the time. I watched it faithfully, from beginning to end, even when it was a CHORE to do so, LOL. The best periods were definitely when Henry Slesar held the reigns, and later, for several months when Roy Winsor did the writing. Winsor kept things moving very fast, with lots of humor and fun dialogue, and made the choice to have every episode represent an entire day in the lives of the characters (i.e., he didn't have one storyline day run over ten episodes).

• Members

The longest, single day in s soap opera history must have been the Masquerade Ball on OLTL, when Olympia Buchanan was skulking around. It went on for two months!Laura Horton's pregnancy (with Jennifer Rose)surely holds a record, too. It lasted through two Christmases, LOL!

• Members

That is interesting. I didn't realize he did that. I don't mind soap days that last forever, but like the idea of one episode/one soap day, but how did Friday cliffhangers work? I just wish they would go back to longer scenes. I was watching LIAMST on Youtube. There was only one scene per act, but the show really moved. Each scene had a beginning, middle and end. By the end of the show you felt like a lot had been accomplished

• Members

When there was an exciting event at the end of one episode (for example, a Friday cliffhanger), Winsor generally started the next episode with characters discussing what had happened "yesterday". One time he had two episodes dealing with the same, one storyline day was when a murder took place at a carnival. But that was rare. Most of the time, as I said, he followed the one episode/one soap day rule. There was a lot of story, a lot of humor, a lot of romance, and the show was great. But he was an expensive writer and when the ratings didn't pick up immediately, he was replaced. It's too bad, because really, in all its run,m the only two truly excellent writers the show had were Winsor and Slesar.

• Members

"To me the biggest problem with Somerset seems to be why was it created in the first place? Carol Roux left after six months...they had no way of guessing that? Ann Wedgworth was probably an obvious candidate for leaving too - I'm surprised she stayed as long as she did. They did cast other very talented actors like Marie Wallace and Georgann Johnson but there never seemed to be a structure. I've only seen two episodes - one on a tape (India and her husband were arguing in an empty dining room or something), and one put on Youtube."

Carol Roux left because, as she said very clearly in an article at the time she was greatly offended when she moved to NYC and found that a couple of "homosexuals" lived in the building. She gave her notice and was wrttien out - her last airdate was September 18, 1970. Her character was mentioned a few times the following year on AW.

JULY 9, 1971,

"Liz told Peggy that Missy was happy in Arizona."

JULY 22, 1971 (EP. #1801)

"Liz told Dan and Susan she's planning an extended visit to Missy, as Missy was having trouble with Ricky and was considering buying a house, and they agreed she didn't have much reason to stay in Bay City."

As to Somerset never having any structure, I have to respectfully disagree. From 1970 to 1972 it had a very carefully crafted one and the characters were consistant. It was not until January 1972, a full year after Slesar took over, that he began to change the structure tremendously. Between February and September of 1972, he and Jane Lyon jettisoned nearly half of the shows characters (8 were originals), replacing them with his own, only to see half of THOSE cut lose a year later when HE was replaced:

1. Robert Delaney: NICOLAS COSTER (3/18/1970-3/1972) (Original Cast)
  2. Gerald Davis: WALTER MATTHEWS (3/18/1970-2/1972) (Original Cast) *
  3. Jessica Buchanan Delaney: WYNNE MILLER (3/18/1970-3/1972) (Original Cast) *
  4. India Bishop Delaney Hillman: MARIE WALLACE (3/27/1970-9/1972) (Original Cast)
  5. Jill Grant Farmer: SUSAN MacDONALD (3/30/1970-9/1972; 10/1974-10/1975; 1-12/1976) (Original Cast)
  6. Marsha Davis Harding: ALICE HIRSON (3/31/1970-6/1972) (Original Cast) *
  7. Randy Buchanan: GARY SANDY (3/31/1970-7/1/1972) (Original Cast) *
  8. Peter Delaney: LEN GOCHMAN (4/1/1970-2/1972) (Original Cast)
  9. Karen MacMillan: NANCY PINKERTON (6/1970-2/1972 contract; to 6/1972 recurring)
  10. Bill the bartender: BILL MOOR (3/1971 – 8/1972)
  11. Chuck Hillman: EDWARD WINTER (1/1971-8/1972)
  12. Mitch Farmer: RICHARD SHOBERG (3/1971-9/1972)
  13. Dannie Cotsworth: MELINDA PLANK (7/1971-6/1972)
  14. Susan Giles: ALICE MARY RILEY (5/1971-4/72)

Changing the head writer situtation every year, and later on every 6 months for a year and a half, certainly helped to bring the show down. They lost many among their original audience - every time the got rid on original faves, ratings would suffer.

IMO Randy Buchanan, India Delaney, Robert and Jessica Delaney and Jill Grant never should have been cut loose. They were all very popular. It was the ratings dive after the Jasper story ended in August of 1971 that pushed Slesar to make some heavy changes, and the network brought in Jane Lyon to assist. When you read through the story synopsis, you can actually the whole show evolving - way too rapidly.

Anyway, hope all above is of interest.

Edited by toml1962