Somerset Discussion Thread

• Members

Wow, I'd never heard this. That's one of the most insane reasons to quit a job - she didn't seem to do a lot of acting after this, did she?

I appreciate all the analysis on the show's early years, and the cast list. I didn't realize they had so many AW crossovers, or that we saw Liz so much (what was Liz doing in 1971, since Missy was gone by then).

Do you think they should have recast India when Marie Wallace left?

• Replies 415
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Marie did not leave of her own accord, she was written off the show. She said in her book that she loved playing the role. IMO it was a mistake to let her go.

There were many crossovers during the first year or so on both shows. In fact, if you look at the start dates of many of the original actors, you will see they started their roles PRIOR to Somerset's premier. They were introduced on Another World. Rafe Carter being the first. Liz was on Somerset a lot, annoying Missy and trying to get in between her and Stan Kurtz because she felt Peter was a better catch and from a good family. Examples:

APRIL 20, 1970 On SOMERSET

Jasper was making inquiries about Wayne. Missy gets a call from Liz, who insists that Missy come to Bay City.

APRIL 21, 1970 On SOMERSET

Liz insisted that Missy return to Bay City permanently.

APRIL 22, 1970 On ANOTHER WORLD AND LATER ON SOMERSET

Liz wasn't happy when Missy told her she's moved into Sam and Lahoma's new house. Missy tried to reassure Liz she wasn't deserting her.

Liz: "I've never felt as close to Susan as I have to you, Melissa. Never."

Missy: (To Liz) "At any rate, Mother, I'm going to get a house in Somerset, and I'm going to stay there."

MAY 6, 1970 on AW, then continued on SOMERSET

John decided to take Peggy with him on his business trip to Somerset when she told him how much she missed Sam and Lahoma. Liz told Jim and Mary she doubts Missy has been grieving for Bill at all since she'd been spending so much time with Peter. Jasper told Robert they have to find a way to prevent Wayne from marrying Liz as an act of chivalry, but he worried it put his embezzlement in danger of being revealed.

MAY 8, 1970 on SOMERSET

Liz shocks Missy by telling her she is going to marry Wayne. Missy confesses to Peter that she does not trust Wayne. Peter in turn tells Missy that Jasper does not trust him either

• Members

Wayne was embezzling funds and Jasper and Robert and Sam where trying to catch him without a scandel. Liz and Wayne got engaged, then Wayne broke it off. Walter Curtain then killed Wayne for having an affair with Walter's wife, Lenore.

On ANOTHER WORLD -

JANUARY-JUNE 1971

Vindictive Liz aided in the indictment of Lenore. Lenore stood trial for murder, with Walter defending her. She was acquitted, but Walter, steeped in guilt, brooded and drank heavily.

Rafe came to live in Bay City and joined the law firm as replacement for Dru, who left on an around-the-world tour. Rafe began squiring Liz around and made headway in helping soften her harsh ways with others.

MAY 1971

Liz was upset and annoyed when Rafe took off for a business trip to Denver, but he promised to keep in constant telephone contact.

Liz continued (as usual) to interfere in everyone's lives, then:

JULY 12, 1971

Susan was unhappy to hear Liz had lost Rafe, but Liz veered away from the subject to comment Melissa has never shut her out of her life. Liz was touched by Susan's concern for her despite her words.

JULY 9, 1971

Liz told Peggy that Missy was happy in Arizona. Liz was disturbed when John told her Rafe is considering a job with the biggest law firm in Colorado.

JULY 12, 1971

Susan was unhappy to hear Liz had lost Rafe, but Liz veered away from the subject to comment Melissa has never shut her out of her life. Liz was touched by Susan's concern for her despite her words.

JULY 13, 1971

Liz, pining for Rafe, was left looking sad and alone.

JULY 22, 1971

Liz told Dan and Susan she's planning an extended visit to Missy, as Missy was having trouble with Ricky and was considering buying a house, and they agreed she didn't have much reason to stay in Bay City.

JULY 23, 1971

Liz came by to say goodbye to Mary and Jim and to ask Jim to sell her house. Mary speculated that Rafe was the biggest factor in Liz's departure as Liz had really blossomed in his company, and she and Jim were sincerely sorry to see Liz go. (Liz’s last episode as played by Nancy Wickwire).

Edited by toml1962

• Members

I guess AW did this again with Texas, bringing the characters in first. It sounds like it worked better with Somerset.

I always thought Marie left for her theater career. That's a shame they let her go. She was such a striking and very different actress, no soap should have let her go.

I wonder how people felt about Lahoma's stories. You never hear a lot about them.

• Members

Lahoma Vane was very popular on AW, and her story along with her eventual husband, Sam Lucas, were the main reason's why they created Somerset. They convinced Carol Roux to come back as Missy, but Joe Gallison, although very interested, could not get out of his contract on One Life to Live. So they killed off Bill.

Rachel was related to Sam (as Rachel's mom was his sister, Ada) and was fairly close to them. She went to Somerset to visit them very early on and this happened:

• Rachel and Pammy ran into each other in a coffee shop while Rachel was visiting Sam and Lahoma. Though neither knew who the other was, Rachel had gotten a feeling she'd seen her somewhere before.

An early storyline involved Lahoma being worried Jasper would discover Sam had a criminal record. Also her pregnancy. She gave birth to Suzzannah in June of 1970 and there were the usual goings on around that. Suzzannah gets very ill later in the year and that goes on for a few months. Sam is involved in a lot of the Delaney goings on. Lahoma is also someone Missy's storyline bounced off of for a time. Lahoma also becomes friends with Ellen Grant and Laura Delaney Cooper. Lots of drama around Delaney Brands. Lots of chats with Ellen and Laura. Lahoma also did not like India very much but bit her tongue around Ellen. Her big story in 1971 was getting pregnant again but losing the baby.

Other than that, she was to a large extent an ear for her husband, Sam. There were lots of arguments due to the strain of his job, etc. Things get worse when Sam was hired as President of Delaney Brands after Leo bought the company. Lahoma's active role got better from that point until she left near the end of 1973.

• Members

Tom!! Depending on how much of the show's history I utilize in my version of Somerset on the ONtv network, I would like to pick your brain about a few things if it comes down to it. Should that happen, I'd be very happy to give you "consultant" status in my credits.

• Members

This is great! Thanks for posting all that stuff.

Did Carol Roux only sign up for 6 months? It seems odd they would go to all the trouble of getting her back and using her character to launch the show,only to write her off so soon.Or was it a case of her not being happy and the producer agreeing to let her go?

This towards the end of the show's run,around Nov 76.

Like any army of invading and conquering soldiers, the tensions, the pressures, the uncertainties have won a very decisive victory over Carrie's physical well-being. They force her into complete physical collapse. Carrie is admitted to Somerset Hospital where Dr. Stan Kurtz advises complete bedrest and quiet. She's to have no visitors. She'll be remaining at the hospital for at least a week. Carrie reluctantly follows Stan's advice.

She knows bedrest is required, but she also knows this confinement will mean the end of her meetings with Steve. He'll never be able to get into the hospital, it would be too dangerous!!

Carrie should have known better. Has danger ever stopped her new love from doing anything?? It shouldn't have come as such a surprise when she sees a disguised Steve enter her room. Tears of joy stream from her eyes as she stretches out her arms and beckons Steve to her side. Steve rushes over, and taking Carrie's fragile body in his arms wraps it in the warm cocoon of his embrace. She rests there, thankful for the brief respite she has been given from her fears.

It is a very sweet moment, but as said before, it is a very brief one. Carrie could not put aside for long her worries about Steve. It gnaws at her, forcing her to ask Steve if he found out the identity of "Mr. Big" yet. Steve wishes he had some positive news, but all he can say is that he's getting closer. He puts on a brave front and tells Carrie not to worry, he's safe. The Organization doesn't have the tiniest inkling that's he's working undercover.

What Steve Doesn't Know, Denny Does!!

What a fool!! Steve is really convinced he conned The Organization. He should only know that he's a marked man!! Joe Caster has told Steve's new partner, Denny Saunders, that Steve is a walking dead man!!!

Denny is very surprised that she's bothered by this news. She usually never gets involved with her partners. She hopes she can hide her distress from Steve.

It has finally clicked. All the evil, treacherous pieces have finally begun to fit. Steve is no longer blindly (dumbly) following The Organization's master plan. He has put two and two together and realized, with a shudder of fright, that The Organization is not his fool, but rather he is theirs. They are the ones who are using him -- but for what, he doesn't know yet -- and he's not going to wait around to find out!! Steve tells Julian and Lt. Price that he's going to skip town -- and he's taking Carrie with him. Explaining his quick decision, Steve says his fears that if he gets his from the mob, so soon will Carrie -- and he wants to make sure such a thing will never occur. He doesn't want anything ever to happen to Carrie, she's the only thing that gives his life meaning. Julian and Lt. Price try to dissuade Steve from this decision, but their words fall on deaf ears. Steve is adamant and determined to pack his and Carrie's bags and leave Somerset.

On It Goes

Well, Steve better move fast -- The Organization sure is!!! They're hurrying their little "kill Julian" plan right along. They needed Sgt. Chip Williams and now they got him. Chip'sdriving ambition has outweighed his sense of moral decency -- promotion talks and nobody walks!! Chip asked for and now he may get Lt. Price's job, chief of detectives (the other day, Lt. Price got a notice from his department head saying he may be transferred). When they want a job done, The Organization does not leave any string unpulled. This was a small and easy price to pay to get Sgt. Williams on their side, and now with him in their corner, it won't be till much longer till Julian -- and Steve -- are pushing up daisies!! It should come as no surprise that these recent developments are now causing a very broad smile to appear on Fred Harrington's face. He won't have to worry too much longer about Julian discovering the truth -- that he, Fred Harrington, is "Mr. Big."

The notebook the Organization wants is in Julian's safe at The Somerset Register. When Carrie and Steve learn that The Organization broke into Carrie's grandmother's house looking for this notebook, both of these courageous reporters decide not to leave town. It just wouldn't be right to leave Julian alone to face the mob. They feel it will only be a matter of time before the mob deduces that the notebook may be in Julian's possession. Steve now has no other choice than to continue his undercover work with The Organization.

Dead-End Clues?

While the mob keeps getting closer and closer, Steve, Julian and Lt. Price are racing against the clock trying to figure out the identity of "Mr. Big." All they have are three clues: the name "Harry Rose," which Greg wrote in that notebook; the music box playing a Strauss Waltz, which Steve heard over the telephone; and the phrase "all the iron in him," which Joe Caster let slip to Steve a while back. It's not much to work with, and as can be expected, these men are getting nowhere with their efforts.

It wouldn't be such a difficult feat if they only knew what certain people in Somerset know about Fred Harrington.

Jerry has told Heather, Vicki, Stan, and Teri that he inserted a steel plate in Fred's arm. Jerry then added that Fred is always complaining about "all the iron in him."

The music box is a musical clock which rests prominently on a table in Fred Harrington's study. Vicki heard this musical clock when she paid a visit to Fred to ask him to donate money to the hospital's new children's wing. Vicki was quite impressed with this clock and she tried to tell Julian about it, but he was usually too preoccupied to listen to what he thought was idle chatter.

Hopefully, someday soon, either Julian's, or Steve's, or Lt. Price's ears will pick up on some of this "idle chatter." It may be the only thing that will save them.

Steve's undercover work is beginning to pay off. He's smiling broadly as he hands over to Julian and Lt. Price the three phone numbers Joe Caster used to reach "Mr. Big." Lt. Price immediately checks out these numbers and finds that one belongs to The Register, the other to Trimmlers, an exclusive men's shop; and the third to The Somerset Country Club. Julian immediately gets to work. He asks Vicki to get him a list of all the country club members as well as a list of all the men who shop at Trimmlers. He doesn't let fear stop his crusade. Julian refuses to dwell on the fact that in addition to shopping at Trimmlers and belonging to the country club, "Mr. Big" also has something to do with his paper. He trusts his employees. He finds it very hard to believe that one of them could actually be the mob's chieftain.

What Julian does believe, though, is that he is the mob's next target. He has no idea how they're going to eliminate him; he just hopes he can outwit them before their evil deed is done!

Will Tom Tell?

Tom gets a call from his "friend." His chum from the mob tells him that if he'll give them a lead to the notebook, he'll be off the hook for good. With these words ringing in his ears, Tom remembers a very important fact. He recalls that Lena told him that both Steve and Julian were very interested in Greg's notebook. Tom then wonders whether Julian and Steve are working together. Will Tom use this information to free himself from the mob's clutches? Only time will tell -- but one has to remember that Tom is a desperate man!

Denny is finding it harder and harder to maintain her cool. She likes Julian and Steve and she hates the idea that she's going to be involved in their murders. Steve notices that her armor is cracking and he's playing very heavily on this fact. Using friendship as an enticement (Steve senses Denny can really use a friend) Steve hopes he can get Denny to talk about what she knows. He sense this information could be very vital to his and Julian's safety.

Edited by Paul Raven

• Members

Anytime. Are we allowed to swap email addresses on here? Might be easier for you to ask questions that way. I am new to this site so I have lots to learn, such as how to share images. I have some pics from the show. In fact lots of them.

Above it almost certainly from Soap Opera Digest - great source of info for the last 12 months of the show. Wish I could lay my hands on the Laub fan letters from the 1970s!

Jonathan Gero.

• Members

Yes these synopses are from SOD This one is July 76

It's the dead of night. The prosecution's key witness, Carrie Wheeler, lies fast asleep on her bed. Suddenly, she's abruptly awakened by the shill, piercing ring of her telephone. She groggily reaches for the receiver and places it next to her ear. The voice on the other end is cold and menacing. Speaking barely above a whisper, he tells Carrie: "We know you've been subpoenaed, but when you get on that witness stand you're going to develop a bad memory." He warns Carrie: "Don't tell anyone about this call. Remember the dead bird, if anyone hears about our conversation." The caller concludes with the words: "Remember Greg Mercer."

It's not easy keeping this recent threat to herself (she almost tells Lt. Price and David Grant) but Carrie feels if she doesn't, the caller will follow through on his warning -- and she doesn't want her life terminated the same way Greg's was!

Avis Ryan smiles sweetly at both Vicki and Julian as she tells them about her recent decision. Speaking with great conviction, Avis says: "I've decided to make Somerset my new home. I don't know how to put it, but your small town has touched something deep within me." Vicki knows it's not the town that touched Avis, but the editor of the town's only newspaper. -- Ms. Avis Ryan is remaining in Somerset because she has designs on Julian Cannell!!

Can it be? Can the aboveboard, straight-as-an-arrow Tom Conway actually be a devious, sly, snake-in-(Somerset's)-grass? Can this upstanding, All American boy actually be capable of evil, underhanded schemes? Sad to say, this appears to be the case. Tom seems to know a lot more than he's telling about Greg's missing belongings (as Greg's lawyer, Greg's personal effects were put in Tom's safe (?)keeping). During a closed-door telephone conversation with a yet unnamed party, Tom tells whoever is on the other end of the line: "I'm going to be in a lot of trouble if Greg's things aren't found. People around here have suddenly become very curious about their whereabouts."

It's a glorious day! The sun is shining brightly, and the air around Somerset is a warm 80°. It's the perfect day for some sun n' fun; especially if the person you're sun n' funning with is the very handsome Julian Cannell. Much to her surprise, Julian has accepted Vicki's offer to spend the afternoon at her pool. As she stares at the bronze body standing next to her, Vicki envisions the "indoor activities" she and Julian will soon be sharing. They're totally delightful thoughts and Vicki doesn't take kindly to having them so rudely interrupted by the roar of a car's engine coming from beneath her balcony. If she finds the sound of the car's engine offensive, she's even less pleased by what emerges from the automobile. It's none other than Vicki's favorite person, Avis Ryan.

Avis has come to the Paisley house bearing another "goodie" for Julian. She tells this enterprising editor that her network bosses are interested in him as her co-anchorman. What's Vicki's reaction to this news? Her reply is to make a very loud dive into her swimming pool.

Carrie's Crusade

Carrie's determined to see the men responsible for Greg's death behind bars. She's not going to let anything deter her from testifying. This is no easy feat, since certain peoplehave been trying to silence her. They fear Carrie may have some information that could be quite damaging to "Mr. Big." In fact, "they" feel it's quite possible this crusading reporter may know who "Mr. Big" is. Carrie swears up and down that she has no idea who this man, or woman, is. All she knows is what David Gamage told her during his deathbed confession. Julian then says perhaps there's something on the tape or maybe in Greg's papers she's now holding. Steve Slade goes to check on these papers, but her arrives at Carrie's grandmother's house (where Carrie said she left the papers) to find the suitcase containing these documents missing from their spot in the closet. Steve tells Carrie that "they" got there before he did (probably days before), and "they" now have this suitcase and all the "lovely" evidence. Steve sends chills down Carrie's spine when he says: "Just remember one thing, the only thing the DA now has going for him is you."

...And Then There Was One

With a bang (a bomb goes off in City Hall) another piece of evidence is nicely and expediently sent forth into oblivion. It's no mere coincidence that the target of the bombing (the DA's office on the third floor) was also the place where a safe containing the tape of David Gamage's confession was located. There's now only one more loose end for organized crime to tie up, and only one more person who could harm "their boys," and Steve Slade is quite sure they'll come gunning next for Carrie Wheeler.

It's quite an accurate assumption. It's not been a good week for Carrie. She narrowly escapes being run over by a car and at the end of the week she gets another threatening phone call. This time the call comes through at The Register and the caller tells Carrie that the police aren't going to keep them away from her and to confirm his point, he tells Carrie to look in the second right hand drawer of her desk. Carrie does and she lets out a shriek when she sees what's concealed there. Let's hope that whatever this evil object was, it will not deter Carrie from testifying.

Against the better wishes of both his publisher and editor, Steve has headed for Chicago. He doesn't take lightly their fears that he may end up like Greg, but he's not going to dwell on the fact either. He's too determined to get "Mr. Big" -- both for the sake of a story and for the sake of his fellow reporter's life. It used to be that "the story" always came first... but is this now the case? It appears not. It seems that Steve is more concerned for Carrie's welfare than for getting the biggest scoop of his career.

Avis is very anxious to get Julian's decision regarding the co-anchor spot on her evening newscast. She says they'll make a great team... in so many ways. Suffering from insurmountable guilt and pressures, Julian is now seriously considering Avis' offer. It would be so much easier -- and safer -- just reading the news.

The mailman who walks into Carrie's apartment house is no ordinary civil servant -- in fact he's no civil servant at all! He's a hit man who has concealed in his mailbag a gun, which is loaded and ready for murder. This phony letter carrier is proceeding up the stairs, gun thrust out in front of him, when Steve enters the apartment house lobby and interferes in his scheme of things. Upon being noticed, the man makes a hurried getaway.

Steve then bounds up the stairs to Carrie's apartment. He's relieved to find her alive and unhurt. He tells Carrie what he just saw, and then says the only hope for her is to go away with him. He knows a place where they'll both be safe. Carrie places her faith with Steve, and agrees to go with him. It's pretty hard to doubt a man who has been batting 100 on all his predictions!

Tragedy Befalls the Kanes

Steve's intuition has once again proved right on target. His timing was split second accurate. He and Carrie no sooner flee into the sunlight than another man positions himself at the top of the stairs and waits for Carrie's return.

This time the hit is not a miss ...but the target is definitely in error. It's Heather Kane, not Carrie Wheeler, who feels the impact of the man's hand, then tumbles down the stairs.

After her unconscious body is discovered by Jill, Heather is rushed to Somerset Hospital. It's during emergency surgery that Heather looses her baby and almost her life. Heather has survived the operation, but let's hope she can survive the pain that's about to confront her. It's not going to be easy for Heather to accept the loss of her child.

Tom's legal career may soon come to an end, "They" have warned Tom that if he doesn't come through with either Carrie or Greg's notebooks, they will be forced to mail a certain big, fat yellow envelope to the Bar Association. Tom knows exactly what's in that envelope, and thus he realizes he has no other choice than to do their bidding.

Edited by Paul Raven

• Members

toml, I have Laub's paperback book which covers 1976 - a lot of it is probably already in the Digest synopses but if you are interested in anything in it let me know.

Which AW characters would you have spun over to Somerset permanently? Do you think they chose the right ones?

I wonder why they didn't spin off Lee, instead of killing her.

• Members

Left to right: James O’Sullivan, Bernard Barrow, Paul Sparer (is behind Barrow), Audrey Landers, Robert Burr, Philip MacHale, Fawne Harriman, Steve Simpson (behind Fawne), Susan MacDonald, Veleka Grey, Barry Jenner, Gene Bua, Jobeth Williams, Gloria Hoye, Joel Crothers, Georgeanne Johnson. Taken sometime in May or June 1976. MacHale came on as the third David Grant in May and left in August, and Simpson left in late June which is why I can estimate when it was taken.

I have that book as well. But I believe she published news letters from around 1972.

Edited by toml1962

• Members

IMO the character of Lee was too psychotic to last forever. Also, at the time it was largely unheard of to create a show around a character like her, or Rachel or Dorian from OLTL. Now they probably SHOULD do that and the soaps might experience a rebirth. Very stupid of Winfrey to say they have outlived their time. Just a matter of the right combination.

It is interesting because I never cared much for Jordan Charney. He was not a leading man as far as I was concerned, and kind of a dull actor from my perspective, but in that role he was fairly popular. If I had my choice, I would have spun off the three BIG GUNS - Rachel, Alice and Steve. If not all of them certainly Rachel. Might have kept Strasser happy to be THE star.

• Members

Everyone signed a one year deal at the start, but their contract all had 3 month options, as did hers. She was not happy at all being in New York. I will have to look for the article. Someone will have to tell me how to post them on here. Trying to find it on the site but so far no luck.

• Members

Marie,like all actors, spins it that "the stage was calling" but the fact is she did not work again until almost a yeat later...I liked her work on the show, but she is considered by many to be a bit too over the top, or "theatrical" as she likes to put it. Have met her a few times (once at a Dark Shadows convention) and she is a very nice lady. Also saw her when Frid directed her in Lion in Winter. She was very good.