OLTL Tribute Thread

• Replies 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I was reading up on the history of Cathy Craig.. and hearing that was the first role that Robin Strasser had been offered... long before Dorian was a reality for her.  Based on what I've read, she didn't want the actress playing the part to be fired.. which made me wonder why the show was trying to fire the actress playing the role of Cathy at the time.  

I know @vetsoapfanwas a viewer at the time.. any idea why the show wanted the actress (named Dorrie K.. I think) to be fired?  Was she not well liked in the part, or was she a difficult actress behind the scenes?

• Members

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cathy_Craig

Casting[edit]

Actress Catherine Burns originated the role of Cathy Craig from 1969 until 1970. The role was then assumed by actress Amy Levitt from 1970 through May 1971, when she was replaced by actress Jane Alice Brandon. Brandon appeared on One Life to Live from May 1971 through October 1972, when series creator Agnes Nixon recast the role again to Dorrie Kavanaugh.

Dorrie Kavanaugh played Cathy longer than any other actress in the role, from October 1972 until June 1976,[3] until she was fired by executive producer Doris Quinlan. In late 1975, actress Robin Strasser was offered a long-term contract with the series to take up the role but declined upon the knowledge that Kavanaugh would be fired to accommodate the recast.[4] Strasser would later go on to be the permanent replacement of Claire Mallis following a brief recast in the role of Dr. Dorian Lord.

Reception[edit]

The role of Cathy was created by series creator Agnes Nixon as one of the first feminists on American soap operas.[10] Amy Levitt's portrayals of an increasingly drug-addled Cathy earned national coverage by media outlets who praised the show for its realistic showcase of addiction and drug rehabilitation.[5][11][12] The last actress to play Cathy, Jennifer Harmon, earned a Daytime Emmy Award nomination for Outstanding Lead Actress in a Drama Series in 1978, the first nomination in the category for the show.

Edited by John

• Members

I read an archive article where Dorie laughed at Cathy being known as a feminist..listing her living with her parents, degrading herself over a man, having sex and getting pregnant...etc. 

I'm sure the show probably did fire her and waited till they found an actress to replace her.  After all, the show did that when they hired Erika Slezak so I'm sure it happened in this case as well.

• Members

And in a single instant, the purpose of my existence was forever changed.
Introducing Phoenix Harper Claywell, aka Finn, making his entrance on January 17th at 9:43 am.
Throughout the past year, I was working on living my life more grateful for all the blessings I had, but that word simply doesn't do any of these new emotions justice. I'm overwhelmed with the depths of this human experience, and the love and clarity I now feel to my core. The universe and this unbelievable woman have given me the greatest gifts this life can bestow, a son and a family of my own, and the best of who I've ever attempted to be cannot compare to the man I aim to be now.
#Phoenix #Love #Fatherhood #Dad #Son #Family #ALifetimeOfGratitude

Image may contain: 2 people, people smiling, people standing

• Members

Thanks for finding the episode. 

Doug Wert looked so gorgeous in that bedroom scene. The show really wasted his talents. The Mari Lyn story is compelling for a film noir but probably not suited to these actors or this period of the show. And it's a story Viki could have been in, given her ties to Tom and history of mental illness.

Those Tangerine Dream-esque musical cues in the Mari Lyn scenes were tripping me out. 

This is the most I've seen of Anthony Ponzini in his short-lived return. He's very good here - I wish he'd stayed around longer as the idea of Viki and Wanda seeing a man they both loved (Viki as a friend, Niki as a soulmate) only it's a new man, and a much darker-hearted one, could have had a ton of potential. I wonder why he left so quickly. 

Why were they not using Viki in these stories and instead just had her around the house until time for her Old West jaunt??

Roma Downey is jarringly bad. 

God bless Lois Kibbee for adding so much to such a thin role and even treating us to that delicious Disney villain laugh. 

Edited by DRW50

• Members

Paul Rauch: "Just who the hell are you, anyway?"

Della Reese: "*I* am an angel, and I am here to tell you that God loves you.  Just why he loves even you, I don't know, but I don't pretend to understand everything the father does!"

Edited by Khan