OLTL Tribute Thread

• Members

Griffith talked about leaving due to Frons being too controlling, but it was a vague comment and that's all I've heard about the run.

What I meant about day to day writing is I never felt like just fast forwarding (OK, some of the Heaven Can Wait stuff) or like it was a huge chore to sit through an episode myself the way I did for huge chunks of Higley's run.

• Replies 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Gary's show was high camp, mostly dumb - unlike the technique Ron Carlivati perfected years later, which on its best days mixes good, smart storytelling with comedy (and on its bad days does something quite different) - but he did bring back the show's heart after an extended hiatus, and he dearly loved OLTL and worked to respond to just about everything under the sun from fans. He tried to please everyone as well, which was impossible. It was a goof of a show, but it was fun and it gave me as a fan back some sense of pride, especially when a story or character did really work and connect (Natalie, the baby swap, and then Cristian and Natalie).

Gary got in hot water with the old school Todd and Téa fanbase the following year when he brought her back, and then publicly commented on the classic fanbase mailbox-stuffing technique. It's common for most fanbases on soaps, really, but I'm not sure any other exec has ever addressed it or singled out a particular fanbase. I don't think they ever forgave him for that. I always thought it was horrible that they'd made a point to write in that Todd did not bother to call the Coast Guard to go get Téa and Ross. I don't know whose idea it was. It was typical callous, cartoonish Todd at that juncture, but it was so unnecessary, particularly after the emotional scenes he'd had regarding her, Blair and Starr before leaving that island.

I loved Téa and had missed her since two years prior, but I thought her return in '02 was crap. Specifically after they cut the scenes they'd apparently shot with her and Tim Stickney, addressing the way Téa abandoned R.J. They set that up with R.J. talking about Téa with another character, then the meeting never materialized onscreen. Bullshit.

Edited by Vee

• Members

December 1987 clips. Delilah's disappearance (who is that lady cop?), Mari Lyn's car crash, a little of the Clint blindness story. A little of Kate and her grandmother, Elizabeth.

Who is the guy with Mari Lyn?

The car crash scene (so many car crashes in the Rauch era) is hilarious. Zoom zoom zoom in on her face like a music video from 1983.

Great to see more of Lee.

I had no idea Mari Lyn ever had any story about being disfigured. Was it dropped? Didn't Lee get killed a few months after this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g617ENSv87o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNe2q7FBDlU

Edited by DRW50