OLTL Tribute Thread

• Members

I love those old pictures of Erika. The one i hadn't seen before was her standing outside the studio. given the hair and fake eyelashes, i bet that was from around the early 1970's. very pretty in all of them, except Niki in the first horrible wig (that never made it on the air.)

• Replies 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I was watching the Emmys with my grandparents the night Erika won in that red dress. I can still hear my grandmother saying, "Well I feel sorry for that Erika Slezak", because after she left the stage, Susan Lucci (who was co-hosting) returned to stage to present the next award, and the cast of AMC rose to their feet and started chanting, "LOOCH! LOOCH! LOOCH! LOOCH!" Susan got all choked up and she thanked them and added that she votes for Erika every year. So gracious. That was also the year that Julia Barr won for supporting and said to her daughter Ally at home, "Yes, Mommy won the Enemy award."

• Members

I used to have that scene of Susan on a DVD and you can almost see Phil Donau roll his eyes when she said that. He was more of a Susan fan. Then he had her on his show with other AMC members i think the next week or so and reshowed that scene, I beleive he cut it off just when she was going to speak.

It's wonderful that Erika won all six emmy's, but she went through hell getting them. She'd get minimal applause and then she'd go into the press room and the only questions they'd want to know was, "So you beat Susan again...do you think she'l ever get that emmy" very sad because Erika deserved to win every single time she was nominated.

• Members

That's funny about Phil rolling his eyes. Susan and Marlo are friends so she's undoubtedly socialized with Phil several times. I agree about Erika, but I think it was '95 when I thought that she shouldn't have won. I thought she totally deserved it for '96 based on the stuff that was currently on the air, but I thought '95 belonged to Leslie Charleson for Monica's breast cancer s/l. Marj Dusay had the best clip though, punching out Alan.

• Members

I was reading an old magazine from around 1985, and Margaret Reed (Shannon O'Hara on ATWT) said that when she started on the show earlier that year, someone told her to watch Erika Slezak to learn how to act on soaps. She said that because she was from the theater, she kept moving her hands and arms while she was acting. The person told her, "Erika's been on for 15 years and she never moves her arms!"

• Members

That's so funny, especially seeing as how dramatic Erika could be. She really tickles me when I watch those heightened emotional scenes from the '80s and she sounds like she's playing Clytemnestra for the RSC. I shot an educational video a few days ago and I felt like a talking statue: "Turn your body to face the window, now turn your head so it's in profile facing the fireplace... Don't move!" On-camera work can be so rigid and technical, you really have to have a knack for it.

• Members

Funny because we know when Erika first started out in 1971, she was exactly the way this Margaret must have been. Erika came from theater so she was used to doing the big grand performances and moving all around. Someone had to tell her to stop it because she kept moving out of the "frame." Erika also i guess had a loud projective voice (because she was used to talking for the people in the back row of the theater) and the audio guys were going nuts because she had a microphone and didn't need to speak that loud. LOL it's just something you have to learn.

• Members

Last night they showed an old movie from the 1950's with Rock Hudson and Jane Wymen called "All that heaven allows." I swear that the set designer for OLTL's Llanfair Foyer 1991 (After Jessica set the fire and the foyer was completely turned around), must have loved that movie. I mean the staircase was the same with the landing and then the other small set of stairs going up (just a little different color), there was a chandiler in the right place, mirror on the wall was in the right place with a little table under it, the door to the coats was in the right place and the floor tiles were the black and white like at Llanfair. They even came in from the same way (the side.) It was amazing!

Edited by BKuzak