OLTL Tribute Thread

• Members

I wonder what his stories would have been if he'd stayed. I think HBS implied the show was going to have a Nora/Drew affair, but it changed.

I never really got the Carlo hype and wasn't sure why he returned. I finally did once I watched some of the original Alex/Carlo stuff on Youtube. Still don't think he should have come back.

• Replies 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I just finally finished reading all of Llanview in the Afternoon, and Thom says that he quickly realized his character would be used pretty exclusively as a "hinge" character (his word.) Ie coming in to cause and propel or else tie up a storyline and then going away again quickly--which is largely how he was used after a time.

All I remember really about Malone's last little while was all the Irish mob stuff but maybe that was a bit earlier. Still I don't think I would have replaced him with Leah Laiman and Jean Passanante--all I remember of their era is what a boring muddled mess the show was.

• Members

IIRC, when Malone was still there he'd originally brought Drew on to have an interracial romance with Rachel, which Becky Lee Abbott would turn up over to be violently against, igniting some sort of racial strife in Llanview - which makes absolutely no sense, having seen Becky Lee. This was the story he vaguely outlined in some fan correspondence a while back, without really mentioning Becky by name but I know it was going to be her role. Seeing as I found both of the young actors in those particular roles at the time to be stunningly boring, I would have found it hard to care.

I believe someone else later on did plan for Drew and Nora - HBS talked about it in an interview around the time JFP came aboard - but it got scuttled.

Edited by Vee

• Members

Thank god! It would probably turn into a "Dorian and Joey" all over again (just not as good). They did a lot of that Older woman, younger man stuff on the show. Dorian had Jon Russell, Jason Webb, Joey, David. Alex had Ty (played by Casper Van Dein.) Viki had Ben. Nora had Troy. Blair and Christian Vega.and i'm sure there were several others in the long history of the show.

I guess they had Asa to do the older man younger woman population. Most of his wives were younger than him (except maybe Renee.) They they did Clint with Kimberly.I think Viki might have been the first. Joe Riley was a little older. I don't think the older man, younger woman went over too well. At least in Llanview (I know on other shows it's all over the place. Especially Bold and Beutiful) But i could be forgetting a whole bunch of older men younger woman parings.

• Members

I just found out that OK! magazine had like 12 photo's of Erika Slezak from her early days just last month. I went to the site and couldn't see them. Did anyone save them or know of on another place else i could see them. i think they were pretty vintage.

• Members

Re: Carlo's return, I thought Thom and Tonja had great chemistry and OTT Alex torn between Asa and Carlo was a hoot. The story was a bit of a dud though. I'm not a big music cues person like some fans, but the one for Poseidon/Carlo is probably my most favorite. It's just a few ominous bluesy piano chords. Another favorite, Viki's eerie "haunted music box" DID chords. Hell, OLTL had great background music at the time. The "Dorian's up to something" music was also good. Did the guy who wrote the synth Champage and Satin Sheets theme also do the incidental music?

• Members

Which supercouples were at that time? Patrick/Marty? the end of Antonio/Andy? Todd/Tea or were they later? I loved mid/late 90s OLTL more than any soap but for the most part when I think of couples I loved (with the exception of TnB and TnT), I think more of AMC & GH pairings so the idea of OLTL as all grand romance is not ringing a bell with me even though i taped daily at that time. But maybe its just because I loathed Patrick & Marty.