OLTL Tribute Thread

• Replies 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Ava should have been Olivia's daughter instead of Delia Ryan's.

I have been watching some mid-eighties episodes and I see that the Sanders family is very prominent. Was it during the time the O'Neils were also around with Didi, Harry, Kristen Vigard and Liz Keifer? Were TPTB thinking of moving the show to a new direction at the time?

It was the same period that ANOTHER WORLD had the Loves and the McKinnons. Were these shows trying to do what Bill Bell did on Y&R with the Abbott and the Williams families or I just happened to run across some episodes the featured the Sanders and the O'Neils very heavily?

• Members

It seemed like most of the soaps were trying to reinvent themselves at this point, sometimes with rich/poor dynamics. I think the O'Neills were brought in a few years before the Sanders. One of the problems was both these family only had one (at best) strong or popular character, and many others who were sketchily written, or quickly ushered out.

I've always wondered how Louise Sorel might have worked out if she hadn't had that falling out with Paul Rauch.

• Members

She never would have gone on to big fame on Days as villian Vivian. She probably would have stayed on OLTL a few more years as a DA and love interest for Herb and then left and gone into "Soap heaven" where so many soap characters have gone over the years...never to be heard from again. At least as Vivian, she's come back to cause more chaos and they can continue to bring her back.

• Members

True. I guess she never would have gone back to Santa Barbara, which helped her get the DAYS job.

Judith is a surprisingly dull role, especially when Louise had already shown her ability for camp when playing Augusta.

I did truly enjoy her chemistry with Anthony Call.

• Members

Some of the Music Box Killer storyline from 2003-2004, which IMO despite its many flaws was one of the best, most realistically detailed depictions of a serial killer and his methodology and psychosis on soaps, with what might be the best performance of Matthew Ashford's career as the culprit, Dr. Stephen Haver.

As with all things in this era the MBK story was far from perfect - it was weighted down by some goofy [!@#$%^&*] and very bad choices, like the murder of Gabrielle and the use of Jessica as god-like Haver's hypnotized love slave. But the parts of it that worked really, really worked. Like these scenes with Linda Dano's Rae, where she was Haver's hostage and was seemingly killed by him after he forced her to embody the central figure of his madness, his mother, the promiscuous folk singer and dancer.

They improbably resurrected Rae at the close of the storyline, which was a mistake, as everyone was hoping for Gabrielle - these scenes, where she is forced to sing "Overcome," he turns out the lights, and then is shown to burn her body, were incredibly harrowing. "Goodnight, Mother."

• Members

Linda Dano is a very melodramatic actress, and that was put to great effect in these scenes. They're very powerful. Seeing Ashford play a role which has force is startling compared to most of what he had as Jack.

Bad Acting Bree, as always. I'd forgotten how stupid they made Jessica for this storyline.

Michael Easton looks very grimy.

• Members

He looks worse than I remember. This is when a lot of us still liked John, too, and rejoiced in him with Natalie. For me, that began to evaporate the day they created the artificial spoilers of Paul, Kathryn Fitzgerald, Evangeline, etc. almost immediately after the climax of this story - John and Natalie hit the sheets, then before they could make love, he pulled back. It quickly became clear someone at the show had no interest in John ever moving on with his life or not being an emotional cripple, which was the whole intent of the original MBK story.

You haven't even hit the Hypnotized Jessica scenes yet. That's four or five later down the list.

This was in Ashford's brief break from DAYS, just after he'd been offed by Reilly in the Salem Stalker story. He was done here around May and went right back to DAYS to turn up on Melaswen.

And Michael Malone was sometimes a fantastic storyteller. Most of his run at this time was terrible, or had good ideas done horribly. He could not execute on his own.

Edited by Vee