OLTL Tribute Thread

• Members

What would you say were the best eras, or golden eras, of OLTL? I suggest four:

1977-1980 (Gordon Russell at his peak)

1985-1989 (people who hate what Rauch did I think generally refer to 1990-91, and I blame writers like Craig Carlson and Leah Laiman more than him, but I suppose some might change this to 1985-1988)

1992-early 1996 (second half of '96 was wretched)

2008-2010

• Replies 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I have also always been curious as to what the critical consensus of OL in the early 80s was. Generally, it seems that the show was considered a bit off during that period, although the actors were winning a lot of Emmys. Generally speaking 1985 is seen as a rebirth for them (I know SOD named them Most Improved Show of that year), but I've never been able to pinpoint if they were considered to be in an "off" period for the whole of 1981-1984, or just 1983-1984.

• Members

An interesting interview and I can see why PM was against that script. It does seem out of character for Carlotta.It would have been more interesting for Carlotta to have espoused the view that PM herself feels.

What I don't get is that Christian' love the sinner spin' re gays. They don't approve of the 'lifestyle' whatever that is.But they never spell out how they think gay people should live. Is it they believe that gays should not express their sexuality in any way, even in committed long term relationships?

• Members

Christianity teaches us that God designed man to live with woman (and vice-versa) and that sex, which is verboten between unmarried people in every circumstance, is strictly for the procurement of offspring. So, yes, they believe gays should not express their sexuality -- which is to say, any sexual or romantic feelings toward others of the same sex -- in any way. Homosexuality itself is not the sin, according to the Holy Bible, but acting upon the tendency is; and either you "pray away the gay," so to speak, and ask God to remove those tendencies and/or redirect them toward those of the opposite sex, or you make the conscious decision to remain celibate -- which, of course, allows you to remain chaste in that sense and enter the kingdom of Heaven upon your departure from this life.

Or something like that.

• Members

I think the christian talk (which it's turning into) can be it's own thread...not here. I know it started about Pat and I think she was wrong. Not for how she thinks, but for not playing the part as written. Erika Slezak has always said, "I don't write this. I'm an actress." Erika did many stories she didn't beleive in (like being hypnotised to kill Kevin.) Even Clint Ritchie did the story about homophobia that he didn't like (he didn't like the way his character was written against what he used to be) but they were professionals and they did their job like they were paid to do.

This also reminds me a little of Dixie Carter on Designing Women. She was a republican but Julia was a "loud mouth" democrat who would go off on these rants. so she ended up making a deal with the producers that she would do it if they would let her sing a song in the next episode (or one down the line)

• Members

Carlotta was very gay-friendly going back to the '90s.

Patricia Mauceri hardened her heart and her faith in the intervening years. She refused to play Carlotta - and while IIRC, the scene was more broadly comic than it had to be, nothing about it was out of character for Carlotta. Certainly not the line she quotes as refusing to have said - with Carlotta saying she knows her Bible and what it says and what her church believes, but she's going to choose for herself. That was absolutely her character. I loved her on the show and still miss her as Carlotta, but she's full of [!@#$%^&*] and she deserved to be let go.

Edited by Vee

• Members

Frankly, I think the real fault lies with the writers for penning such uncharacteristic dialogue for that character. I mean, if you, as the writer, really knew Carlotta like you're supposed to, then would you really have those words coming out of her mouth?

• Members

I don't think we really know the whole story. We just know her side. If they already had Sondra Santiago on "back burner" right after it happend (as she claims) then things have been brewing before this little incident.

Edited by BKuzak