OLTL Tribute Thread

• Members

This is just a suggestion, but I don't think that classic AMC & OLTL discussion should take place in the Cancelled Soaps section anymore. A more appropriate action would be to move these threads to the Discuss the Soaps section and rename them (something like) "Classic AMC (or Classic OLTL) thread." If classic AMC/OLTL discussion is to remain in the cancelled soaps section, the best thing to do would be to rename the threads "AMC [OLTL]: The ABC Years."

I realize that is just a trivial matter. The only reason why I brought this up was because I was quite vocal about AMC/OLTL being moved into the Cancelled Soaps section in the first place (while they remained in the Discuss the Soaps section). It would be hugely hypocritical of me to not say something now, after they have been brought back to life.

• Replies 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Dr. Polk was a recurring character utilized by One Life to Live and All My Children. After he "cured" Viki's split personality disorder (we did not term it DID in the 60s), there were other crises in Llanview warranting his therapeutic prowess. He attended to Viki again in the summer of 1971 when Marcy Wade was drugging Viki and attempting to convince everyone that Niki Smith had returned. In February of 1972, Meredith Wolek needed therapy for post partum depression and the death of one of her twin babies. In January 1973, Viki slept with Joe Riley while married to Steve Burke. She and Joe argued, causing Viki to crash her car. When she awoke, she thought it was 1971 and had forgotten everything that happened in between, including her marriage to Steve. Dr. Polk helped her recover her memory. Almost immediately at the end of this story, on All My Children, Kitty Cole had a miscarriage and tried to commit suicide, prompting treatment by Dr. Polk.

At this point, Dr. Polk was played by Norman Rose. During the original Niki Smith storyline, Donald Moffat played Dr. Polk. Moffat is remembered as Edgar Halcyon in Armistead Maupin's Tales of the City. Norman Rose last appeared on AMC and OLTL around 1974. Afterward, the psychiatrist angle was downplayed, and later, in 1976, Polk was no longer necessary because Will Vernon had been created. Dr. Polk was resurrected for Niki Smith's real return in 1985. James Douglas played Dr. Polk then, and it was his Dr. Polk who was eventually murdered by Tracy James.

• Members

OLTL 1978

Episodes from 13 and 16 January 1978.....Brian's death in AUDIO!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1MfOnqChxGg&list=PL977ACF2C33E58C12&index=9

Does anyone know any programme for obtaining the audio transcriptions of these episodes?? Thanks!!

OLTL 1978

Episodes from 17 and 18 January 1978.....Brian's death in AUDIO!!! (PART 2)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PItkI7JtBPY&list=PL977ACF2C33E58C12

• Members

Yes that and the fact that the actress Joanna Dorian who played Viki before her had just been let go the day before. I remember Erika saying she went into the stuidio and said she was playing Viki and everyone said "No you aren't!"

It looks like they are again throwing Viki into a big storyline...this time with Dorian and The Banner. I'm thrilled because The Banner hasn't really been apart of OLTL in years! Remember they had that one scene in 2010 with Viki and Tina that looked like an office they just put together. She hasn't really had any Banner storylines in maybe 10 years. The Banner was such a big part of Llanview history...Viki's history. it's where she met Joe and worked heavely with and against Clint before they married. They did several storylines at The Banner during their marriage in the 80's and early 90's. and the late 1990's when Mel Hayes, Kevin and Cassie all worked at The Banner with Viki and Clint. Dorian and Mel were married in the Banner "city room". who can forget the scene of Kevin walking into the Banner in 1999 and Viki was playing with her fuzzy dice with "girls just wanna have fun" playing on her stereo. but then in the mid 2000's, they pretty much dropped it. Viki would occasionally say she just came home from The Banner or that she was going but there were no scenes. They had Kevin working there for a while in 2003 but they dropped that pretty quickly.