AMC Tribute Thread

• Members

Thanks for the info. I literally was just passing along what a poster said. I do not have a dog in this fight. I wish them well whatever their circumstances are. As for my being in denial or crazy or a troll, today would be a great day to question what you may have heard. Let's chillax & have an excellent Hump Day! 

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I do have what I think is a fun story about Lucci/Liza if you've enough patience with me to hear it. 

I enjoy challenging AI chat. I've found it doesn't know very much about soaps. I have to be careful because it sometimes says it's upset & can't talk any more today. Who knew AI has thin skin?!! 

Anyway, I posed the question: What soap & character did Susan Lucci's daughter play? I was going for Liza Huber, Gwen in PSSN. It said, Susan Lucci's daughter Liza Colby is played by Jamie Luner. Well, that knocked me back! It knew "Liza". It just got the wrong one! So, I gave it all the correct info & wished it to have a nice day. 

• Members

Please register in order to view this content

As a courtesy I am posting this here in the AMC discussion thread.

SFT KATHY'S ABORTION 
In 1964 on "Another World" Pat Randolph had soap's first abortion, illegally. 
In 1970 New York state legalized abortion on demand without a residence requirement.
In 1971 with Courtney Sherman Simon playing Kathy Parker & her future husband Peter Simon playing Scott Phillips "Search For Tomorrow" had soap's first legal abortion. 
On Jan. 22, 1973 the SCOTUS decision on Roe v. Wade made abortion on demand legal in the whole country. 
Sometime not long after that Erica on "All My Children" had a legal abortion. 
Earlier this year in my Facebook soap forum, SOAPS:THE GOOD, THE BAD & THE UGLY, we were discussing people not remembering that "Another World" had the first abortion. In the Young & the Restless" primetime event celebrating their anniversary of being on the air, it was said that Ashley Abbott had the first. She did not. Often it is said that Erica had the first without adding "legal" which is what makes it accurate. 
Just then a poster, Lance Jackson, added that no one ever seemed to remember it but Kathy on "Search For Tomorrow" actually had the first legal abortion in 1971. 
I began then to try to find out more about this. 
I messaged Courtney Sherman Simon who played Kathy with the basic  query & she immediately affirmed that yes, she'd had an abortion & it was in 1971 & she guessed Procter & Gamble just wasn't as into putting that stuff out in the press as much as Agnes Nixon was. However, she also said she had nothing to prove it, not a script nor anything in print. 
One of the members of my forum team, DM James Fairbanks found a "Daytime TV" magazine 
©1977 dedicated entirely to "Search for Tomorrow". On page 59 is the following paragraph.

Without realizing it Scott and Kathy began to fall in love. Scott and Laurie separated and eventually divorced. But Kathy was liberated and didn't want children. Scott felt she would change her mind. On the day he proposed, Kathy told Scott she had an abortion the day before. 
Search For Tomorrow. (1977). Daytime TV Library Series No. 7.
I typed up that page of storyline synopsis & asked a discussion thread devoted to "Search For Tomorrow" if they could date the events & someone immediately affirmed 1970-71. 
Donna L. Bridges (shallotpeel) 7-14-2023 
https://www.facebook.com/groups/soapthegoodthebadtheugly
https://paste.plurk.com/show/HR9vSOfy7QBAns85BaiV/

Edited by Donna L. Bridges

• Members

Sorry to hear of his passing. I guess his Y&R role is what he's more likely to be remembered for, given how impactful the story was in the long term. I have never seen his AMC work, but I remember various comments suggesting he wasn't the right fit for the role. Soap magazines at the time seemed much more interested in his up-and-down love life.