AMC Tribute Thread

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Well, Erica AND Rachel were both created by Agnes Nixon - and Agnes had created Erica before Rachel (even though AMC didn't go on the air until Rachel had been on AW for several years). I just don't see Vicky Wyndham as someone who would go through that many men like Erica did, and I can't see Susan Lucci playing the nuances and maturity that VW's Rachel had. Then again, Agnes wasn't writing for Rachel by the time VW was cast (Harding Lemay was), so it's fun to imagine what might have been had she been writing Rachel as played by VW rather than Robin Strasser.

• Members

Susan Lucci was and is Erica to me. I don't know that I'd feel the same way about the character if another actress played the part. I watched AW for bit in the early 90s, and I didn't feel any particular pull toward VW or toward Rachel. I started watching AMC around the same time, and I was immediately drawn in by Erica. So for me, a different actress would have changed everything.

• Members

I guess it depends on how you view Trey/Ben. If you think he was an abomination of a retcon who never should have existed because the idea of Vanessa seeing Richard Fields rape Erica and do NOTHING about it other than place her own baby for adoption was an unneeded horrific retcon to Erica's rape story, then maybe it's better to forget him. Would he have an interesting dynamic with Kendall, Greenlee, David, Ryan and Bianca? Sure. Is it worth it to explain to newer viewers how he came to be and why Erica hates him? I don't know. I'm undecided.

If they'd cast a different actor to play Jane Campbell's Ben in 2011, then it could have been interesting to find out that Trey/Ben was the one who caused the accident that killed Jane's daughter and that he'd been secretly working for David. To me, that would have been an interesting twist.

As far as bringing villains back though, I think ABC erred tremendously in never bringing back Marj Dusay as Vanessa. I'd have rather had her come back for a short stint than Trey/Ben. I'd have also welcomed back Michael Sabatino as Jonathan Kinder. I assume TPTB thought Jonathan was too similar to David Hayward, but I still think it would have been interesting to have him come back to PV at some point, bent on revenge against Erica, Janet and Skye. Heck, I'd have been fine with him coming after Erica and KC's Janet in the mid-2000s.