Soap storylines in WWE/WWF

ER Tosh

• Administrator

I stopped watching wrestling around 2002, I think. But yeah, loved it when I was younger/in my teens. Stephanie is one of the greatest characters ever - man, what a bitch. LOL That whole HHH/Steph wedding storyline was so good.

I liked WCW too in the 90's when Nash and Razor Ramon invaded WCW and there was this whole secret as who the 3rd person will be....who turned about to be Hulk Hogan!

Also, gotta mention the hot chicks of wrestling. First being Miss Elizabeth of course. Then in the 90's Sunny, then later Torrie Wilson, Stacy Kiebler, and now Kelly Kelly (though I don't watch wrestling now, I definitely know of her LOL).

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I didn't grow up watching WWE/WWF since I grew up in the south. WCW (well, technically it was still Georgia Championship wresting and Mid South at the time) was my domain. Until Bitchoff (misspelling intentional) took over WCW I loved it, but he was such an arrogant ass and IMO ruined the entire company. I remember watching matches that went on for an hour or more and now you're lucky if you see one that lasts more than 5 minutes. It seems to all be about the 'entertainment' and not so much about the athletic ability of the guys anymore. I LOVE that clip of Stephanie slapping Eric. NO ONE deserves to be slapped more than he does.

But as I had kids of my own and they started watching I came to know who many of the WWE guys were. There are many that I sincerely respect....Shawn Michaels, Triple H, and The Undertaker being the top three. They respect the business of wrestling and all the guys that came before them and I always appreciate that. So many of the guys I grew up watching are dead now(including Elizabeth, Toups).

• Members

Mentioning the women of wrestling and forgetting Sable is a complete sinned and you should be banned from existence from here on out! :) And hey, I know you can't resist the womanly wiles for Fabulous Moolah and Mae Young!!!

When Vince McMahon took over the WWF (I refuse to call it WWE, f*ck that damn wildlife foundation ;) ) the company had a good 15 years of complete awesomeness. The whole WCW/ECW invasion completely ruined it all and the show has been utter crap ever since.

• Administrator

Wow, how did I forget Sable! And Kimberly Page too! My bad. LOL Loved the whole Sable/Torrie Wilson angle (the striptease competitions....the kiss!) and of course their duo Playboy photoshoot. :D

Yeah, I wasn't a fan of WCW/ECW merging into the WWF either. The first invasion, WWF invading WCW was awesome though. WCW was beating WWF in the ratings and there was the whole "Monday Night Wars" thing (ie. Bishoff would read the WWF results on Nitro because Nitro was live and Raw was taped). That was such a good in wrestling because both companies pushed each other, which led to a better product, in the mid 90's. By late 90's WCW was starting to fade.

• Members

That's because the only good thing about WCW was how they stole people from the WWF. Once that factor wore off, WCW was a snooze. The whole NWO thing got so convoluted and ridiculous and was basically the only thing WCW ever did. Plus, barely anyone from WCW became a huge wrestling star, aside from Sting. I don't count people like Jericho, because WWF made them a big name.

And for the record, I despise Hulk Hogan. I don't see why people loved him so much. One of the worst wrestlers of all time. Macho Man Randy Savage, Rowdy Roddy Piper, Ravishing Rick Rude, et cetera, were so much more entertaining to me and they could actually wrestle.

And we must give Shawn Michaels and The Undertaker kudos for their complete loyalty. And Bret Hart probably would have stayed with the WWF too if he hadn't been screwed.

Now, best/favourite match of all time: The Undertaker vs. Mankind: HELL IN A CELL & BURIED ALIVE. These matches changed wrestling forever.

• Members

That's because the only good thing about WCW was how they stole people from the WWF. Once that factor wore off, WCW was a snooze. The whole NWO thing got so convoluted and ridiculous and was basically the only thing WCW ever did. Plus, barely anyone from WCW became a huge wrestling star, aside from Sting. I don't count people like Jericho, because WWF made them a big name.

And for the record, I despise Hulk Hogan. I don't see why people loved him so much. One of the worst wrestlers of all time. Macho Man Randy Savage, Rowdy Roddy Piper, Ravishing Rick Rude, et eetera, were so much more entertaining to me and they could actually wrestle.

And we must give Shawn Michaels and The Undertaker kudos for their complete loyalty. And Bret Hart probably would have stayed with the WWF too if he hadn't been screwed.

Now, best/favourite match of all time: The Undertaker vs. Mankind: HELL IN A CELL or BURIED ALIVE.

As for Sable, I was completely pissed off with her return. She was the queen of the industry and point and when she FINALLY returns you basically give her nothing? Idiot.

• Administrator

Yup, after the initial NWO thing, it got ridiculous, in a bad way.

And Steve Austin too who became bigger after the jumped to WWF.

Hogan wasn't a very good technical wrestler, but he was such a huge character, he was like a superhero.

I give them props to their loyalty too. But I still have mixed feelings about Shawn Michaels. He used to be one of my favorites until the Montreal screwjob. That showed me a lot about his character. I'm glad Bret was able to come back to the WWF and was inducted into the Hall of Fame.

Their matches were epic. Shawn Michaels vs Bret Hart matches were great too because both were excellent technial wrestlers. The Razor Ramon ("Say hello to the bad guy"...toothpic flick) vs Shawn Michaels ladder match was awesome too.

• Members

That Razor Ramon (Hey chico!) vs Shawn Michaels match was the FIRST ladder match ever. History in the making. I don't blame Shawn Michaels for the screw job at all though. He's explained his position several times and, though he doesn't look great in the situation, I understand it. Shawn vs. The Undertaker was great too. And as far as underrated rivalries go, The Undertaker vs. Goldust was freaking awesome and hilarious. That casket match will always be one of my favourites.

And since I forgot to say it before, I don't think there's anyone that didn't absolutely love Miss Elizabeth. She really started the whole sexy Diva thing, until Sable came around and reignited Diva wrestling.

• Members

2221186238_4c2d38082b.jpg

How about the rivalry between these two? Probably my favorite storyline. I never really cared too much for the men's stuff but the women were the ones worth watching. I LOVED Lita. I hated when they made her a villian. I dont think that ever worked for her. She was better as a fan favorite

• Members

WWF= When Wrestling Was Fun, WWE = Worst Wrestling Ever

My favorite WWF diva ever was Lita wub.gif I loved that she wasn't your basic WWF diva. She kicked arse with her luchadore style, moonsaults & hurricanrana's and all. The best decision the show ever made with her was getting her saved by the Hardy Boys after she was powerbombed by Essa Rios.

Basically loved all of the divas (how could you not??) except for Molly Holly. Ugh i couldn't stand that hag, I'm sorry ph34r.gif Today's generation divas are ok but they just aren't the same.

Somewhere along the way, the diva's just became a joke to me. Like they were still fun to look at but the plots weren't hardcore anymore & it just became about their looks, etc. IMO the last decent diva story was Trish vs. Mickie James

ICAM! They ruined Lita when they had her betray Kane by helping Edge get farther in the gold rush turnament angry.gif Lita & Edge were DISGUSTING and I will never forgive the WWE for decimating her like that by turning her into a villain. It pained me watching people boo this girl every time she came out to the ring when she used to be loved by so many. I don't blame her for retiring after all that :(

Some of my fave matches: John Cena vs. JBL (I Quit Match), Stone Cold vs. The Rock (WM 17, No DQ Street Fight), Elimination Chamber Matches 2003 & 2004, The Hardy Boys vs. The Dudley Boyz (Ladder Match), Chris Benoit vs. Kurt Angle (Backlash 2001, Ultimate Submission Match)

• Members

Wow, when did that happened? I thankfully missed those storylines.

I watched the Vince McMahon dvd and Stephanie and Shane talked about how when Stephanie was pregnant in real life, Vince wanted a storyline where either Vince or Shane was the daddy. Shane and Stephanie wisely vetoed the storyline.

Stephanie and Chris Jericho were comedy gold.

Eddie Guerrero was such a great showman with so much charisma, it cracks me up when Clear Drama in the AMC daily threads refers to Griffin as "Latino no-heat" :lol:

Archived