Recasts

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Although I've enjoyed Lindsay Frost in other roles since her ATWT stint, she was simply all wrong for the role of Betsy. Her deep, throaty voice was the opposite of Meg's "little girl" voice. Meg also seemed much more petite than her replacement. Worst of all, Lindsay had zero chemistry with Frank Runyeon, and as a result ATWT lost it's signature couple.

• Members

In a lot of ways I think they were a limited couple - and Steve was a very limited character. Basically just a hothead.

If I was watching back then, or if I wasn't still annoyed by the Meg Ryan of the last 10-15 years, I might have a different view, but from what I've seen I much prefer Lindsay in the role. What I've seen of Meg's Betsy mostly involves her standing around looking stupefied. Lindsay's Betsy just seems so much more adult to me, and while there isn't the same chemistry with Steve, there's still a certain maturity and softness, yet also a hard edge, which makes for very complex and real relationships with characters like Emily or Josh.

I just wish that the character hadn't been shunted off after Lindsay left.

• Members

Carl, you make some valid points. Maybe I'm blinded by the fact that the Steve/Betsy/Craig storyline was the first one to draw me into ATWT. They really packed a lot into the two years it ran. It was a shame the way this once-vital s/l just petered out after Meg Ryan left. I think Lindsay catches a lot of the flack for that. But what really ticked me off was having a major hero like Steve end up as a drug runner in a Greek prison (is he still there?).

• Members

I actually enjoyed Lindsay Frost as Betsy. She's the main Betsy I've seen when watching older episodes. I haven't gotten to see anything substantial from Meg Ryan, but she seems too sweet for me. Since I've never been too big on AW or AMC, could somebody tell me how the other two recasts fared? Were they really overwhelming success stories?

• Members

Judy Dewey didn't even last a year. Laura Malone was truly special and if you ever get to see any of the material from the show's lean periods, you'll see that she made the character. There was no Blaine without her. Most likely Blaine would have been going no matter what, as Chris Rich was leaving the show, but it still sucks.

That Nina was apparently loathed by fans, and lasted a year or less.

At least she'll always have this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRkGPwCEs_I

• Members

He was still there when last mentioned, in 1995.

I can see why that story would anger fans. I'm still a little shocked they wrote that for one of their major leads. I always assume there was some bad blood, although they did spend a year or so building the story up.

Archived