Soap Opera Feuds

• Replies 690
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Best quote ever (from Jane Wyman, about Lana Turner): "Well, I thought it was a bit ridiculous when she took a limo to the loo."

Not only did Mel Ferrer lose his job b/c of her, but so did then-Supervising Producer Ann Marcus. According to her memoirs, Marcus told Earl Hamner about a derogatory comment Miss Wyman had made about Ferrer. That, as well as the fact that her co-SP, Robert L. McCullough, did not get along led to her firing at the end of the season.

• Members

Robert Kelker-Kelley was supposedly a nightmare for some co-workers on DAYS. I heard that Crystal Chappell, Lisa Rinna and Kristian Alphonso all had major problems with him. I seem to remember that Frances Reid was openly ecstatic upon his departure.

I don't know what happened in his first run at AW. I do know that he left rather abruptly, with the role suddenly recast, and then written off for a short while until a permanent replacement could be found. I hadn't heard about him not getting along with Sandra Ferguson, in particular, but I suppose it's possible.

As for his second run, I think he had learned his lesson after being fired twice from roles that were hugely successful. The problem in the second run was that his character was awful. It was a mistake to create the role, rather than return him to playing Sam Fowler. Vicky/Jake were way more popular, even though the writing discouraged people from rooting for them. And that really says something about how unpopular Shane was, given that even Vicky&Jake weren't that popular when compared to Vicky&Ryan or Jake&Paulina.

Steve

• Members

Do you think that was fair to fire Marcus that way? I kind of wonder why she was doing tattling, although I guess it might have been the circumstances.

I don't think FMB ever "got" anything about ATWT. The show felt so emotionally disconnected and full of stupid non-stories dragged out for ages, all about new characters. It's just a shame that Goutman was even worse in many ways.

• Members

Listen, ATWT was in terrible shape when FMB (and later, Lorraine Broderick) came aboard; ergo, I don't blame her for attempting to shake up the production and in turn bring viewers back to the show. Unfortunately, I think she made changes happen too fast or too soon, not allowing the audience time to adjust. Whether it was her choice to make changes that quickly, or Mickey Dwyer-Dobbin's, is probably tough to say; but I think she would've been much more successful had she just allowed viewers a longer recovery period.

• Members

Oh I can understand why she had to make changes but it seemed like changes included hiring an ABC friend for a random role she was unsuited for and then letting her go to the press and say they gave her a job because they were friends at ABC. Not to mention stuff like Lucinda and James having a child (in spite of first meeting in 1986, when Lucinda was well past childbirth), which in a lot of ways I thought was as bad as anything under Valente/Black and Stern.

It seemed like the show did improve later in her run but she just made so many blunders. Given her long record as a producer I'm still not sure how that happened.

Archived