Soap Opera Feuds

• Members

yep. Most people assumed it was Sydney Penny bc that was his most famous role but he was on Y&R for a short bit and MS has had another castmember say not so nice things about her. I dont think he really thought to fondly of his short time on the soap

• Replies 690
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Initially, Erika Slezak and Clint Ritchie were mentioned as not having got along. Why would that be? I heard in other interviews Ritchie could be a bit cantankerous behind the scenes. Maybe it's possible that personality would test her own patience but I can't see Slezak and Ritchie having some of the verbal smackdowns like some of these other people listed in this thread. I do know that towards the end of Ritchie's run he was sort of disappointed that Clint and Viki had never been reunited, because in his mind they were the foundation of ONE LIFE TO LIVE. However, I don't think it bothered Slezak as much because now she was working with Mark Derwin as her new leading man and subsequent husband on the show.

In further defense of Slezak and Ritchie not having bad blood...Whenever she won an Emmy and she was opposite him, she thanked him. When Ritchie was in an accident on the farm, rumor has it she went to producers (which is rare of Ms. Slezak) and demanded they NOT recast Ritchie. And lastly, when Ritchie died, Slezak, articulate as usual had very nice things to say about their time together on the show.

However, not to diss Erika Slezak, but I think in Ellen Holly's autobiography she isn't too kind to her. Anybody who had read Holly's book or know of anything behind this care to shed some light?

Erik

• Members

If I remember correctly, that wasn't a rumor about her going to the producers. She said in an interview that she told the producer she would do whatever they wanted (I guess she meant in regard to storyline), but don't recast him.

I never read Ellen Holly's book, but I've read about the controversy. ES had made a comment about how much OLTL had changed since its inception when it told stories about the poor, middle class, and the rich. She said something to the effect that now it was all about the rich. And maybe she said there weren't minorities or something, I don't remember. My impression was that ES was actually being critical of the fact that OLTL didn't represent more diversity. Not having read the book, I can't say for sure, but it sounds like Ellen Holly might have taken something out of context.

EDIT: I was curious and Googled for a few minutes. Here's the comment from ES:

"We don't have poor people in Llanview,"

said Slezak in order to promote OLTL.

"We don't have any more

black people in Llanview.

We have no ethnic people.

No, this is now a story about

rich people and richer people.

We're all `haves' now."

I guess it's a matter of perspective, but this definitely doesn't sound like ES is making a positive comment on how she perceived the show at the time.

This might give you more insight into EH:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Generation-Mixed/message/3709

• Members

I seem to remember reading somewhere that Erika Slezak and Phil Carey were not very fond of Lina Gottlieb. Something about ES feeling that the show focused to much on other characters and not enough on Vicki and PC was an old boy who didn't respond well to a female boss.

• Members

Yeah, she was obviously commenting on the state of the show at the time, not praising what it had become. Though Slezak probably did like the Rauch era, and who can blame her, since she was front burner the entire time, something she never really saw under other regimes. I get the feeling she was just sort of there in the 70s, as women like Strasser and Light got all the attention and accolades. She really didn't come into her own in a major way until Rauch.

• Members

You're right about the 70's versus the 80's. I think it was the split personality storyline in the 80's that turned the tide. From that point on, ES was essentially the star of the show. That might have been around the time Rauch took over as producer.

• Members

Same goes for Bob Woods I think. I read something about his having some issues about how his character was being written especially when Bo attempted suicide after Sarah was killed...the second time. As I recall, he was adamant that Bo never would have done it. He seemed to like the Nora/Bo pairing, though, so maybe he came around later.

• Members

That's probably b/c OLTL was more of an ensemble-driven series back then. Frankly, during the Rauch era, there were times when it felt like "The Viki and Tina Hour, Starring Erika Slezak and Andrea Evans (With "Special Guest Star" Robin Strasser)."

• Members

Susan Seaforth Hayes has admitted that her behaviour at days in the 70's wasn't always totally professional ,but says it was just her way of standing up for herself and especially Bill,who would roll with the punches.She admits she mellowed and realized it wasn't always necessary to fight every perceived slight with all guns blazing.

• Members

Clint Ritchie was pretty much a jackass when he came on OLTL. He as much admitted it. He didn't like anything about being in New York, wasn't sure he liked the show, etc. Around the time he was on a few months, Clint threw some sort of a party for the cast to say "I really do like you" or something of the sort. He could have his moments (just ask him what he thought of BarBara Luna), but overall Clint became part of the family.

• Members

Yeah, I heard about that party he threw with his horses and all in the country. It seems that he had some women issues.

In her archive interview, ES says that she didn't feel LG was very good for the show which was a :blink: moment for me. I really wish she would have elaborated on that because all I can think of is that she was unhappy with what VIKI was given at the time, but to say LG wasn't good for OLTL, I just don't agree from a viewer's standpoint. But I don't know what went on behing closed doors. ES is also a big fan of PR and JFP, and well, who could blame her with the stuff she was given? That's why I think her opinions on these things tend to be Viki-centric with all due 40th anniversary respect.

• Members

What's interesting too is he didn't care for BarBara Luna, though John Loprieno and Andrea Evans enjoyed her, and then on his official fan page he admits to some pretty interesting things:

"Q. During this time period, Barbra Luna joined the show as “Maria Roberts.” Any thoughts about Barbra and that storyline?

A. It was great dramatic stuff to play. And the story about finding a son was a pleasure. Barbra and I had known each other before she worked on “One Live To Live.” We had the same acting coach in Los Angeles, Estelle Harmon, and we would see each other at parties. There was a mutual attraction. When she came to “One Life To Live,” we did see each other for awhile. When I was hurt, she sent some cards and we spoke. We haven’t spoken for quite some time now and I’m not sure if I have a current number for her or not. She did re-marry."

I honestly think Ritchie's bark was worse than his bite.

Archived