Aretha Franklin on Wendy Williams

alphanguy74

• Members

I love the clear pure sound of Dionne's voice when she had it, but I am gospel at heart so I'm drawn to that Baptist lilt Aretha brings to Say a Little Prayer. It's a tough call and really on a song by song basis because for instance I don't think I'd like Aretha's voice on Wives and Lovers, that's perfect for Dionne. Of course, Dionne grew up in the church too (not great audio, play with your speakers):

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Yes, Dionne can sing gospel too. I don't think the two should be compared. As I've pointed out, Dionne was tailor made for white audiences. Columbia tried to do that with Aretha and it didn't work. Atlantic Record let Aretha be herself and that's when she took off.

• Members

I agree about Patti, and she by far is one of the worst offenders of over-singing, but I think Aretha is guilty of it too.

It's really apparent when Aretha sings with others on stage. Like the Divas '98 performance or the Waiting To Exhale medley at the '97 Grammy's. I guess it's part of her competitive nature.

I'm not saying none of her covers are good, but when it comes to Bacharach/David productions or songs like The Shoop Shoop Song, I don't think her delivery suits them at all.

She IS The Queen of Soul, I would never argue otherwise. However, I still hold that superior soul and gospel singers have existed. Mahalia Jackson being one of them.

• Members

I wouldn't compare them, as I've said, but the fact they've both covered I Say A Little Prayer lends to some of that.

But ironically, Aretha's commercial comeback album on Arista, 1985's Who's Zoomin' Who? was very pop-oriented and perhaps the most pop-based album of her career, and really her last big commercial album.

• Members

That Stevie version sounds great. Now he unfortunately is someone who could be accused of oversinging these days. He goes nuts with those growls and riffs that are a little sloppy and silly. He really doesn't need to do all that, he sounds so perfect when he just sings a song straight. His was the highlight performance at MJ's funeral, imo (and that sounds like such an effed up thing to say about somebody's funeral, I know -_- ).

• Members

Patti is one of the few I can tolerate, sometimes enjoy, oversinging from. She just has such a naturalness to all she does that it seems like a natural part of her and not just showing off (even if it is showing off). I tend to like her songs best when they're a mixture of both.

• Members

I think what made Mahalia great, not unlike Aretha, was again the timbre of her voice, no one sounds like Mahalia (except for Joshua Nelson, and again, that's on purpose). Aretha can't do all of the crazy vocal stuff Karen Clark Sheard can do, but even in Karen (particularly when she was young) you can hear the influence of her fellow Detroit native and idol, Aretha. Marion Williams was another gospel great and influence on Aretha, she performed when Marion got her Kennedy Center honor. But even as great as Yolanda Adams is, her voice is not as unique as Aretha's.

• Members

She probably isn't comparable, but the Queen of Jazz, Ella Fitzgerald, who was also an influence on Aretha, has one of the most distinctive voices EVER. Her voice is like buttah. No Jazz vocalist has come close to her delivery and style.

I've heard Aretha cover some of Ella's signature songs, and I don't think she comes anywhere close or is any good singing Jazz standards as well.

• Members

And?

It's all up for opinion. Aretha's strengths, in my opinion, are in gospel and R&B. Her delivery in pop and jazz standards on the other hand? Not that good. I think she gets way too much credit for the alleged versatility of her voice and recordings, as I've said.

Here's Aretha singing one of Ella's signature songs at an Ella tribute, and really, I do not think she connects with the song, and certainly not near the league of Ella while singing it.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ejGk4pu_t3c" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Ella singing it:

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/2d-l7_TGnIE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Archived