Y&R: March Discussion Thread

• Members

This is essentially how I feel. People keep saying the writing for Victoria isn't strong, and they don't write her the way they used to either, waht that is partially true I think that is a result of having Amelia Heinle in the role. It happens all the time, writers write to the strength of the actor (or what they perceive their strength to be) and the character becomes so different they're almost unrecognizable. The writing for Victoria has NOT just been a MAB issue, it's been an issue since not long after AH stepped into the role.

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I see your point, but then I have seen some wonderful actresses, very strong actresses, get writing designed to humiliate them. Jess Walton's Jill spent years being laughed at, filing nails for comic relief, and sleeping with strangers as the camera practically shakes its lends in derision.

• Members

It's sad if this is writing to Heinle's strengths, because even that she can't convincingly pull off, IMO.

The only show I've seen Heinle do well in was Loving/The City. She's pretty much been a walking coma to me since her AMC days. She's not the worst actress ever, you just don't notice her or want to particularly notice her. She's boring, which Victoria used to be anything but.

• Members

A lot of what made Victoria Victoria was what Heather brought to the character. It's like B&B casting Lesley Anne Down as a replacement for DARLENE CONLEY.

It's not that the character can't be successfully recast but that the recast isn't suited for the part.

Plus Amelia is just below par. The firing Sharon scene wasn't impressive since Amelia can't do imposing to save her life & again as bad as the writing have been there have been MANY instances where the character could've shined had a better actress been in the part.

A perfect example is Jess Walton whose had some of the WORST writing in the past few years but still makes the character viable.

Unlike Heinle & Morrow who have tanked their characters so bad ADAM & VICTOR look sympathetic in comparison to them.

• Members

I really didn't get that whole Katherine/Nikki/Victoria et al dynamic. I don't GAS how long Kay's been friends with Victor, it doesn't give her the right to rip into the kids like that. Right or wrong, Vic lost that suit because he violated the terms of the trusts and then proceeded to LIE about it. It doesn't make the kids right, but it also doesn't mean Vic was blameless in this mess.

And Nikki's reaction bothered me. Thanking her for "defending" Victor? Huh? Because he needs someone to take up his viewpoint to his kids? GMAFB. All Nikki's ever done is defend that SOB.

If JM wants to throw Maura back, fine with me. Girlfriend sure doesn't need to prove her chops. You'd think he'd be worried about landing in storyline Siberia though.

• Members

It's like Katherine is projecting her issues with Tucker onto Victor's kids.

She sees Victor as the victim (like she sees herself) who just wants the best for his kids who were too greedy & unappreciative of the advantages they were given via birthright (Tucker) in exchange for their eternal loyalty.

That's the thing though he knows he will ALWAYS be frontburner so he doesn't care.

• Members

This is what's wrong with the behind-the-scenes management at Y&R (GH has the same problem). Placating the star to give them what THEY want over and above the wishes of, say, the HW and even the audience. Josh wants to hang with his buddy Michelle and that's that. Nevermind the intense Phick/Shick fatigue the audience are feeling (outside of a few rabid Stafford fans, and even some of them want "their girl" away from Nick because he was bringing her down).

Honestly, MAB needs to pull a Jill Farren Phelps, print off some "focus group" survey responses and tell Josh that he can go ahead with this damn GIFT of a SL for his character. Or he can go to Crimson Lights and serve coffee to the dayplayers. Because if he doesn't want to play on the frontburner with Maura West and Eric Braeden, the show can pass on his SL to Christian LeBlanc or MAB fave Michael Muhney. M'kay?

• Members

OK, heads-up to the US viewers. Today's episode of Y&R is a hot tranny BORE. Even more than usual. Hope I don't give too much away when I tell you it features:

-Giggly Heffa trying to be both seductive and funny. Oy.

-Feather & Chance discussing their scintillating relationship. Putting the "eh" in "sex."

-Chloe & Kevin doing the same.

-Fat Mobster telling Chloe he admires her "spunk."

-And Sharon essentially telling Vance this:

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/D3j_fdSpkmE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

• Members

Pretty much.

From the moment she was cast it was inevitable Maura was gonna be paired with Josh (which is one of the reasons they desorased the character again) & Maria should've just made her Grace.

And the scariest thing is Morrow (short of pulling a Charlie Sheen) has the most job security of anyone (including Braeden & Cooper) on the show.

• Members

I guess MAB and Sheffer had not done enough to take a dump all over what Bill Bell spent the last decades of his life working for, so now they wheel out Doris for no other reason but to destroy her too. If this is supposed to make me care more about which bed "the wounded bird" will be thrown into next, it has done just the opposite.

Archived