OLTL: Discussion for the week of February 7

• Replies 416
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I can't get "Brown Penny" out of my head. HELP ME. But I do love that music they played in the Patrick/Marty scenes.

Since they're done with the random repeats, I hope they start showing actual OLD episodes on holidays. On holidays they usually show episodes from like two months ago. Boooooring. We need more 90's stuff.

Addie hasn't been on since January 2010. :mad:

• Members

Addie didn't even show up when Kelly returned for the big Cramer reunion (due to Mitch supposedly murdering her sister/Kelly's mother Melinda). PPW's absence was glaring during all the hype for that storyline. Not one cast member mentioned her at all, not even the vets like RS or KDP. Is there something going on with the actress that she hasn't done any recurring work for OLTL in over a year? I always loved seeing Addie whether she was sane or not.

• Members

A little FYI - I've got an article written about this, but am awaiting a comment from OLTL, so it will probably be Monday before it will be posted. :)

I like the remixed theme -- just not with that opening -- not a a good fit. Although it would be a better fit with the opening that came after it, or with the present opening.

On a related note, someone needs upload the 2003 repeat of OLTL airing during SOAPnet's Valentine's Day marathon to Youtube in case they change that theme as well. After all both the "Satin Sheets" and "Tour of Llanview II" opening themes were composed by Lee Holdridge.

• Members

i was struck by the lack of energy in this old episode.

i realize the pacing was much different than it is today, but the characters acted as if they'd all taken sleeping pills. aside from seeing nathan fillion, i didn't enjoy it much, and it made me realize why i can't stand roger howarth.

• Members

1995 had been a big year in some places but there was also a real lack of energy and lack of focus in other stories, which was criticized by some of the fans and soap press at the time - the Angel Square story, for instance. Malone's time ground down to a halt. I think the Ireland stuff was mainly an attempt to get energy back.

• Members

Lack of energy, I'm not even sure what that means. Can someone clarify that for me? It didn't feel as campy except for the part with Alex maybe. There weren't a lot of zingers, in this episode either. This feels like a "soap" to me, but again the 90s were my biggest fandom era showing my bias.

• Members

Sluggishness, people who wander around in stories which either feel pointless (Marty/Dylan), a rehash of the writer's old work (Luna's death), well-intentioned but preachy and dull (Angel Square, the bad Rachel recast on pills), and stifling possibilities (the rigid insistence on mind-numbing Joey/Kelly). This was also the continuation of taking away most of what made Alex an interesting character and just making her an idiot, the same that happened to Tina. Many other characters just took up space throughout the year. The mediocre and then disastrous Kevin recasts sort of say it all about the decisions over the year.

David/Dorian and Viki's DID story and the Bo/Nora wedding were the only things from 1995 I thought were all that wonderful, but that might be because Howarth never did anything for me. One or two years of effort and eight or nine of not giving a sh!t.

• Members

Okay you were talking about OLTL 1995 generally and not just this particular episode. I was just judging based on what we saw yesterday. I didn't find this particular episode boring, but I do agree that the show was uneven in that time frame. I'm used to uneven, and these days if I have three or more stories I like within a calendar year on any soap opera I am happy. Yes I live in the land of lowered expectations.

Archived