Belk's ugly new logo

soapfan770

• Members

So, back home in New Mexico and Arizona we don't have Belk department stores. I mean we use to have stores similar upscale stores like Foley's and Joslins before getting gobbled up Macy's and Dillards respectively. In fact had my cousins not moved to South Carolina a couple years ago I might have not even go into a Belk. I got the most expensive suit I ever bought at Belk last year(although some of my Abercrombie shirts come close!) So I'm visited last week(only taking Saturday classes for grad school this semester and needed some time off from my job at the hospital!) and we went to the mall when I spied this hideous thing:

CIMG0127.jpg

So is Belk like downscaling by getting rid of their older elegant logo? Do they plan on expanding to the West Coast? This past week I know JCPenney is trouble closing their call center here in ABQ and all of their outlet stores and exiting the catalog business(long overdue perhaps) so I'm wondering Belk is trying be more competitive in the middle class. I've always thought Belk to be like the East Coast version of Nordstorm's or Foley's. Does anyone on SON shop at Belk? What do you think of it?

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I actually really like the new logo. I think it's sleek, modern, and visually appealing.

I hardly ever go into belk, and usually don't notice it exists. However, when I walked into a mall and saw the new logo it immediately caught my attention. And I've noticed it since. I like it.

• Members

part of the reason the one in your picture is so ugly is that it's a paper sign. it looks like they just have a poster/temporary version of it.

At my store they have that logo in an actual flourescent, real-sign. And it looks a lot better.

See, this is more attractive, IMO..

belk_sign2.jpg

• Members

Thanks for sharing that pic, hmm actually that does look better than those cheap banners. I thought that was some random MSN butterfly thingy but now realize it's a flower. Also the new logo looks ok on their website. I think I was quite startled to see it and it's such a contrast from their old logo. Belk's wiki says all stores will feature the new logo by mid-2011. From their store locator I didn't realize Belk now has stores in Texas either.

Archived