Y&R: Ellen Greenee soaps up for a gig on the show

• Members

Can a mod fix the thread title? Thanks

http://www.tvguide.c...ps-1027289.aspx

The Y&R part of it:, the rest, click on the link

And baby makes three? That terrific character actress Ellen Greene of Little Shop of Horrorsand Pushing Daisies fame joins The Young and the Restless for a five-episode stint starting January 7. Longtime fans of the soap will get a kick out of this: Greene will play Primrose DeVille, who is the niece of black market baby racketeer Rose DeVille, a notorious character played back in the '80s by the late, great Darlene Conley. Primrose will connect with Billy Abbott (Billy Miller) soon after he and wife Victoria (Amelia Heinle) get word from the doc that it'll be near impossible for them to conceive children. Y&R has Greene under gag order about plot details but, as you can see in the photo, Primrose does hand Billy a newborn. And Daisy (Yvonne Zima) gives birth to her baby this week and abandons it in a church. Are the bambinos one and the same? We'll leave it up to you to connect the dots. In the meantime, here's what Greene had to say to TV Guide Magazine about her trip to Genoa City!

TV Guide Magazine: What a cool way to kick off 2011! How did Ellen Greene — famous for her quirky choices — land on Y&R?

Greene: Here's what happened: A long time ago when I was very young I played a nurse on one of the New York soaps — I can't even remember which one — and it just terrified me! The whole experience! I just hated it! [Laughs] So I swore off soaps but then, a few years later — I think it was after Little Shop — I was offered a part that actually appealed to me. It was this sexy, rock 'n' roller chick on All My Children, just two days work but I had a great director I just loved and still remember to this day — so I show up at Y&R all these years later and it's the exact same director, Conal O'Brien! I mean, what are the chances with all the directors in the world? At first I didn't want to do the role, but in Judaism there's a word "bashert" — destiny. I took it as a sign that I was in the place I was supposed to be at the right time and definitely in tune with the universe.

TV Guide Magazine: Why didn't you want the part to begin with?

Greene: Because I still had that horrible nurse experience in my head! My agents got the call fromY&R and really liked the role and the whole idea. They said, "Ellen, you should do this." But I was too afraid. Soaps move so fast and I'm a snob. I like to really prepare my scenes and have time with the director, so I tried to turn it down. I even said, "Will you hate me if I say no?" I've always had trouble saying no. When I was little I had to write down what I wanted to be when I grew up and I wrote, "I want to be an actress-singer-dancer because you can be a rich fairy princess and tell someone off." Well, I still can't tell anyone off!

TV Guide Magazine: So what changed your mind about playing Primrose?

Greene: I read the script. It was so good I was shocked. I just had to do it. I can only tell you this much: Primrose will bring happiness into Billy's life. Anything more and they will have to annihilate me. That Billy Miller is a very good actor, by the way. So much fun to work with, and such a dear. In fact, every single person at Y&R was kind to me.

TV Guide Magazine: Who wouldn't be kind to Ellen Greene? You're Audrey for crying out loud!

Greene: Oh, a lot of times you go into a show where the cast has worked together for a long time and they can be very cliquish. I like kindness. Who doesn't? Life is definitely too short for self-centered, abusive people. I would play those characters but I don't want to work with them.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

So they are sticking Ellen Greene with dead weight like Miller?

Why is it that they can do this nonsense but they couldn't be bothered to properly deal with the aspects of Nina's baby being stolen when they had Ronan come in last year? Shouldn't Nina be interacting with the niece, not Chompers?

I thought this stunt casting was being cut down on.

• Members

It's interesting that Y&R is willing to employ actors often considered "difficult" -- like Ellen Greene and Sean Young -- given the constraints under which soaps now operate. Though to be fair, I haven't heard negative things about either of them in awhile, so I guess I should say kudos to Y&R for giving them roles. (And don't get me wrong, I loooove Ellen Greene.)

• Members

I'll make a point to watch her because I want to see how she looks like now, and I loved Lil Shop of Horrors. The actress is, shall we say, unique? Just watch an old clip of her on The Tonight Show from back in the 80's promoting the movie and singing. She's... interesting ;)

Does she have a history of being "difficult" or does she merely find the fast pace of daytime to be difficult?

Archived