Y&R- Week of December 20th

• Members

Is Tucker the worst relationship Ashley has ever had on the show? How degrading this is to her.

Where is Leanne Love and her lethal lei when you need her.

I always liked Nikki/Jack so I can't complain about that, even if I know the show didn't do it for any valid reason.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Based on the theory this was all about Victor's revenge, I understand Nikki/Jack. Nothing would gall him more than seeing the love of his life with his worst enemy.

I'm sure Diane was only included because they needed a Bob Cratchit...which makes Kyle Tiny Tim, minus the limp. And...well, the whole "hardworking mom depriving her son on Xmas" thing.

What personally made no sense to me was Victor going to drool over Ash's ring. GMAB...if he and Ash were on the outs, other than being divorced, I didn't know it. The last time I think I saw them in the same scene was once when they were united in not giving Abby her trust.

The only real good thing? NO PHYLLIS.

• Members

The thing about Nikki/Jack is that it would've worked if they didn't have history but they do & have long since moved past each other.

Plus Paul has as much reason to hate Victor as Jack (arguably more) making Nikki/Jack more a plot contrivance to cheaply further Victor's angst than actually being in character.

The problem with Diane/Kyle as Crachit/Tim was the pacing & that they felt shoehorned in especially since the dayplayer maid (and a dayplayer child) could've filled the same part.

But since Maura's Diane it was more plot contrivance to use her than Maria actually caring about the characters involved.

+1.

• Members

I get the WTFery of it. Had this been a remake of It's a Wonderful Life, a Nikki/Jack thing would have worked better, IMO. But because the last thirty years (or so) have revolved around the Victor/Jack dynamic, the Abbotts were shoe-horned in. AFAIC, the only Abbott who needed to be on yesterday's show was Traci. Instead of stupid ol' Sharon weeping over Adam (Who GAF?). If you want to show Victor how wasteful revenge is, show Traci at her daughter's grave, she who gave him her daughter's heart in spite of him being responsible for setting that in motion.

Given spoilers, I think there's a little more to Diane's inclusion in it. But considering it was a bloated mess, I was happy to see her.

One thing I found---seeing those scenes with Cora, I thought EB was a better actor nearly 30 years ago. And easier to understand.

• Members

Yep.

And you're right the whole thing would've worked better (except the Adam/Sharon thing) had Maria gone with It's A Wonderful Life over A Christmas Carol.

A lot of the problem is Maria doesn't want to deal with the fact that despite decades of hate between Victor/Jack, Victor has made a TON of enemies (many of whom were friends and/or family) over the past couple of years due to his increasingly horrible behavior but given Victor must be propped at all times Y&R uses perennial loser Jack as his only enemy.

EXACTLY!

My problem wasn't her inclusion so much as the pacing.

She had just recently began working for Victor again so to act like he's some Scrooge for having her work on Christmas seems a bit much given she's desperate for money. It was also problematic cause dayplayer maid served basically the same function.

Back then Braeden wasn't nearly as lazy as he is now.

Plus Bill always wrote the character as part of the ensemble & not the defacto lead (thus keeping both the actor & the character from becoming overly indulgent) the way subsequent regimes have.

• Members

Don't know if anyone's mentioned this, it's not a spoiler just idle speculation, but I'd bet 5 on Lauren eventually being the winner of the lotto-baby...and then cue Kimberlin. I always like her returns, well plotted or not because of her "Remember me" trailers...

Archived