Y&R: Old Articles

• Members

Yeah, the girls didn't actively HATE Jill until she tricked their dad into marriage (by pretending she was pregnant), when he was supposed to be marrying Liz.  That's when the girls (justifiably) turned against her.   They could see a pattern developing whereby she seduced men 20+ years older than she was, then married them, had a baby, then fought for a settlement.  She'd already done that with Phillip Chancellor, and now her next victim appeared to be their own father.   (Victim #3, of course, would be John Abbott a few years later, lol.)  The girls had a big "family meeting" --- seems like Lorie was the instigator of the convention --- to discuss how to get rid of her.    The other girls dragged Peggy back from San Fransisco (or wherever she was) to make her participate.   Seems like that's when the brief Peggy Recast (Patricia Everly?) joined the show. 

• Replies 13.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Yes it was natural for the Brooks sisters to be friendly to Jill in 73/74 when Chris and Snapper married. They were girls of good breeding and Jill looked up to them with a mixture of awe and envy.

Once the marriage had taken place there was no further reason that the girls would interact with Jill as they moved in different circles. Unlike today when billionaire's stop off at Crimson Lights for a coffee.

Surely though, Chris had some reactions to Jill's traumas with Kay as as she was her sister in law?

• Members

I don't remember Chris ever commenting on (or being involved with) the business between Jill Foster and Kay Chancellor.   Snapper and Greg were involved in it, of course, but I don't recall Chris ever being dragged into it. 

When that wedding clip (Chris and Snapper) first started circulating on the web, it caused a lively debate on another message board.   In the clip, the minister can clearly be heard referring to Chris as "Kristen".   ("Do you, Kristen, take this man William to be your lawfully wedded husband ... ")    Several viewers insisted that was a mistake in the script, that the character's name was "Christobel", not "Kristen".    Several other viewers insisted Chris's name was "Kristen", because that was clearly what the minister had called her.  (I stayed out of the discussion entirely.)  Do any of y'all remember what her name was?  I can just about swear that when Trish Stewart left the show and was replaced a few months later by Lynne Topping, the character's name began appearing in the closing credits as "Christobel Brooks Foster", although no one ever called her anything except "Chris".   (Just as Lorie's name was listed in the closing credits for years as "Lauralee Brooks Prentiss", although no one ever called her anything but Lorie, except for Vanessa Prentiss when she was being all Eddie Haskell-ish, and she would start a conversation by hissing, "I have something to discuss with you, Lauralee ...."     

Edited by Broderick

• Members

I have no clue i mean ive heard the other names referenced when you look them up just like youvsaid nobody ever called them that on the show.

Funny it seems like bell kept this non interaction thing going on even after those early years he basically continued it with his new gang of characters, it got better over the years ill say like example i always wondered if back then nina and phyllis shared a scene since they were close in orbits because of chris danny paul but it seems like they never shared a scene until nina slapped her in 2012 lol.

But if you look back at the 1994 clip when phyllis called to see if i think chris was there nina answered but non of them knew who the other were

iwerei never got to see much of lynne topping as chris maybe like 1 episode can anyone tell me how she was? And also the girl who played peggy for abit in 1979 i would love to see how she played peggy

• Members

I guess the best way to describe Lynne Topping's version of Chris would be to compare her with Brenda Epperson's version of Ashley Abbott, if you know what I mean.  Lynne Topping was PRETTY, and she seemed SWEET, and she wasn't a bad actress AT ALL, but she just wasn't ever Chris to me.   I think most of us who saw the original actors in the roles of Chris and Leslie just never warmed-up very much to Lynne Topping and Victoria Mallory.  There wasn't anything "wrong" with either girl; but they just didn't have the vulnerability and fundamental likability of Trish Stewart and Janice Lynde.  

Bill Bell tried his best with Lynne Topping.   He kinda carefully constructed a friendship (and flirting relationship) between Snapper Foster and Casey Reed while Chris was gone, so that when Lynne Topping stepped into the role, she could be the "victim", which would earn her the audience's immediate sympathy.   Naturally, Snapper chose Chris over Casey, and we were all supposed to breathe a big sigh of relief that True Love Has Triumphed, and Snapper has chosen Chris!!!  I didn't feel that way at all;  I kinda wanted to see Snapper throw Casey Reed down on the floor and pork her brains out.  lol.

Bell's next attempt at making us like the New Chris was to put her in physical jeopardy.   This weird woman named Rose DeVille popped up in town running a shop called "Second Hand Rose's Antiques & Pretty Things", which was really a white slavery ring.   Rose and her henchman Vince were intending to round-up some "pretty things" and ship them off to South America as sex slaves.   This dimwitted random teenager named Sharon stepped right into the trap, like a rat heading for the cheese in a  mousetrap.   Chris had sorta befriended Sharon, followed her to Rose's shop, and was also captured by the evil Rose and the evil Vince.   Snapper and Brock showed-up at the last second and saved the two girls.   We were supposed to breathe a big sigh of relief and say, "Oh thank God!!   Chris is safe!!"  Instead, with Lynne Topping in the role, I was kinda hoping she'd get shipped-off to South America so that Snapper could bang Casey Reed without having to feel guilty about it. 

(There wasn't much to like or dislike about that replacement Peggy.   I wasn't ever a huge fan of the FIRST Peggy, but the second one was just a window decoration, pretty much.   By the time the character became relevant again, during the cult storyline in 1980, the real Peggy --- Pam Peters -- was back.)         

• Members

Oh thanks for this insight very interesting and another thing about that rose deville women she seemed to have stories with alot of characters, she must have been pretty popular to always have been brought back i never knew she interacted with chris, snapper and brock .

I only knew of her stories with nikki when she was with greg and then later on nina a chris thats crazy how all these characters nevee came together and talked about there horror story with rose

• Members

Yeah, the first time I remember seeing Rose DeVille was in the summer of 1979(?) when she was operating her little antique shop, "Second-Hand Rose's Antiques and Pretty Things", which was really a front for a slavery ring.   She was driven out of business by Snapper and Brock after she attempted to abduct Chris and that girl Sharon.   Rose disappeared for a few months, then quietly reappeared with a little modeling agency called "La Plus Belle Rose", which is French for "the most beautiful Rose".  That one turned out to be a prostitution ring.    The stupid Nikki Reed stumbled right into that, of course.  Rose DeVille gave Nikki a contract, then advanced her some cash, and when Greg Foster told Nikki to void the contract, Nikki had already spent the cash advance, was too stupid and embarrassed to admit it to Greg, and ended up modeling lingerie and then going to meet a client named Walter Addison who was really expecting more than modeling.   Walter Addison had a heart attack and croaked while chasing Nikki around a hotel room, which inspired Nikki, Rose and Vince to dump Mr. Addison's corpse in an alley.   A little boy named Tony Baker came wandering along, stole a watch off Mr. Addison's corpse, and was arrested for murdering Mr. Addison.   Naturally, Greg Foster was assigned by the courts as public defender for Tony Baker, which led to Nikki's whole role in the ordeal being exposed.   Rose then disappeared for several years, till about 1986, then quietly reappeared running a home for unwed mothers, which was really a black-market baby ring.   Nina Webster (and an annoying little twit named Mollie) were residents of Rose's home for unwed mothers.    

• Members

@AT1980 thank you so much for the 1975 episode. I just got to watch it. Wonderful. Such beautiful and emotional drama. By the end of the decade, the subject matter of a woman coping with the loss of her sexuality and a man's desire had become the subject of parody (Bea Arthur lampooned it in a controversial SNL spoof on "First, You Cry"), but at this time it was still very novel. It's done with great tenderness here. There's something about Bell actors at their best - they manage to make hog wild melodrama seem both extreme and also grounded in reality. 

Would you mind if I clip a few of the commercials in this (if no one else has)? I saw Jerry Lacy, and Dorothy Stinnette...the woman in the Sine-off ad was familiar too.

Edited by DRW50

• Members

Jill and Chris had also gone job hunting together during the show's early months. They answered an ad for "models" and met with a sleazy photographer played by actor Michael Gregory (the first and better Rick Webber of General Hospital fame). After discovering that the potential photoshoot involved nudity, Chris immediately got up and left, but Jill hung around and implied that she would go through with it, although while she was hesitating the photographer hired someone else and told Jill her services would not be required.

Leslie Brooks gave Jill piano lessons as well.

• Members

Chris' name was given on-air as Christen Leigh Brooks. Any fans who contended that the writers made a mistake, when so many of these viewers acknowledged that they weren't even BORN in the 1970s, LOL, are the ones who made the error.

On the other hand, yes, Lorie's full first name was indeed Lauralee. Stuart and Jennifer used it occasionally when the character first appeared, but that practice soon petered out and everyone in the family just referred to her thereafter as Lorie.

Lynne Topping was a pretty woman and a capable actress, but unfortunately, she just did not have that special "star quality" and screen presence that Trish Stewart had had. Stewart was a great actress, stunningly gorgeous, and quite mesmerizing to watch on screen. Topping was...acceptable. It was difficult to warm up to a replacement actress who lacked the charisma present in the original. As Broderick mentioned, it was the same problem with Victoria Mallory replacing Janice Lynde as Leslie. Mallory was beautiful and sang like an angel, but she lacked the depth, warmth and vulnerability necessary to make Leslie feel like Leslie. As for Patricia Everly, she was not really used long enough or well enough to have made much of an impression. To me, she always felt like a "place filler" until Pamela Peters returned.

All these replacements really had a negative impact on the show.

Some of the dialogue back then...yikes. What annoyed me most was so many characters putting objects at the beginning of their sentences: "The book, are you going to write it? The concert, are you going to give it? The divorce, I won't agree to it." As opposed to a more natural way of speaking: "Are you going to write the book? Are you going to give the concert? I won't agree to the divorce."

• Members

@Broderick , I'm wondering if you remember the 1981 story of Chris' suburban-wife malaise? Where Snapper caught Chris using Stuart's money to update their furniture. Chris' excuse was that she needed some activity to brighten up their humdrum poor life. From reading the synopses, it sounded like a retro cliche story. This is also when they toyed with pairing Chris and Howard McMillan's Greg... I assume their chemistry was non-existent?