Y&R: Old Articles

• Replies 13.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Hot damn the 1975 episode was great. In particular the final few minutes. High melodrama but so effective and well done. Considering they were still doing live to tape, it all came together so beautifully. Peggy turning up at the last minute and the Brooks girls watching their mother as the elevator doors close. Also the small moments, the way Leslie and Chris look at Bruce, even the way Trish as Chris folds her arms when Bruce is talking to her and the way Janice's Leslie gives that bit of bite to Bruce, it is those small moments that are so effective.

Interesting that there was no B story, but I guess this was a big episode and there was no time for it. 

We have the episode that aired after this, when Jennifer is in surgery and comes out of it, I assume it aired the same week and it also has no B story, so I wonder if Jennifer's mastectomy and the Brooks family drama took up most of that week with few other stories progressing.

Also I now want to see Search for Tomorrow, haha. Such a tease

Also great to see Jane Curtin in one of the commercials barely a month prior to SNL starting.

Thanks so much for this, will definitely give these a watch, I admit to my interest in Y&R starting to fade somewhat during this period, but still love the show and I appreciate it more now than I did then.

Edited by will81

• Members

Yes that last scene with the beautiful sad background music as Jennifer was being taken to surgery is high drama. I wish that Katherine could have interacted with the Brooks more and maybe have her stop by and see Jenn with flowers. I wish we could see all these 70's episodes. 

I saw Jane Curtin in that ad too. I think the little girl in the second Dove dish washing ad is Dana Plato. 

• Members

Agreed, it would have been great to see Kay and Jennifer as friends. As far as I know Kay was pretty isolated to Jill and the Foster family in 1975, I have never heard of her interacting with the Brooks at all during this period. 

Wow I went back and looked and it definitely looks like a young Dana Plato. 

Speaking of 70's Y&R this tumblr has a bunch of 70's soap mags on it. I have linked to one of the Y&R pages. It has an article on Donnelly Rhodes being bumped off the show, stating he was killed off in late June. Also somewhere in there another article mentions Bill Espy's last day was Sep 17, 1975. I assume this was his last tape date as he appears in the episode after the Sep 23, 1975 one just posted. This must have been his final week or there abouts. I know David came on as Snapper Dec 8, 1975, though I can't remember where I found that info.

https://vintagesoaparchives.tumblr.com/tagged/Young+and+the+Restless/page/2

• Members

Thank You for that link and all the information. I will enjoy reading those. I never understood what suppose to be the fascination with Derek Thurston (and actor Joe LaDue). He was built up as some big hot stud with his tight polo shirts and painted on jeans. He comes across as some middle age guy having a midlife crisis trying to appear youthful. 

• Members

No worries. Yeah I read about Derek long before I saw any pics of Joe and when I did I thought, oh okay, not what I was expecting. Bell had a habit of putting Brenda with older actors for most of her run. I guess David Mallory was probably the youngest and Michael Crawford. I know Jill dated some guy named Brent in the first year, I assume he was a young guy too. But mostly Jill was always with older men.

• Members

Thanks for sharing. That episode from 1975 was great. I particularly liked the scene where Leslie and Stuart were talking about Jennifer's concerns about having the surgery, and how she would be viewed by men. I also liked when Peggy showed up right before her mother was going into surgery after no one thought she would. I really enjoyed this episode.

• Members

That tableau of everyone standing outside the hospital room as Jennifer was wheeled off to surgery was very poignant.  The episode hardly seemed like just a half-hour, it didn't feel rushed, the detail was laid out and the dialogue took its time.  It's easy to see how someone could become engrossed in the story. Because the dialogue and the story takes its time to unfold, a viewer actually has something tangible to hold onto and there's no avoidance of tough material.

I'm glad I got to see it. 

Courtney Simon in that Search For Tomorrow ad, boy, she really became a part of the P&G universe even earlier than I could have ever known.

Does Dove still make dishwashing soap?  I only think of them as a bath soap now.

• Members

You know what struck me most about that episode from '75 (aside from the intelligent dialogue and acting)?  You didn't see the elaborate set furnishings or camera angles that came to define Y&R in the next decade.  The Brooks living room was the most expensive-looking set -- and even that wasn't as sumptuous as other sets I've seen on other series from that period.

What's my point, you ask?  Very simply, you don't need to mimic the Wes Kenney/Ed Scott aesthetic for Y&R to still be Y&R today.  All you need are well-drawn characters, engaged in engrossing story that (as @DramatistDreamer says above) takes its time to unfold.

Edited by Khan

• Members

I think Dove dish soap was discontinued sometime in the 90's. I know it was around in the 80's because one of my teachers always purchased it for use to wash our hands at school. 

The set decorator Brock Broughton who did the Y&R sets in the 70's went on to be the set decorator for Dynasty in the 80's.