Y&R: Old Articles

• Replies 13.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Stumbled upon this  recent Tonya Lee Williams Interview. Very insightful, and she gets pretty candid about the issues the show had around the time she left. (and most likely isn't that anxious to return unfortunately) 

Edited by YRfan23

• Members

Welcome! Thank you! 

Do you know if there are any episodes of Guten Morgen Mallorca available anywhere? I haven't found any.

I guess these Y&R episodes were already available, but they were recently put on Archive.

https://archive.org/details/the-young-the-restless-february-9-1988-most

https://archive.org/details/the-young-the-restless-february-10-1988-most

Edited by DRW50

• Members

I’m reading these weekly recaps from 1983 that @will81has been posting, and all I can think is, “GOD HOW I WISH WE HAD THESE FULL EPISODES TO BE ABLE TO SEE THIS ALL PLAY OUT!!!” I especially would love to see Lauren’s first few appearances, the complete Patty shooting Jack storyline, Brenda’s first month back as Jill, the scenes where Nikki confronts Eve and Julia (separately) after finding out about Victor’s “death”, and the full scenes where Lauren orders the sundae for Traci and in turn Traci dumps it on Lauren’s head! Can’t wait for the rest of the recaps! Thanks again @will81!!!

• Members

Like it’s such a shame that it seems that episodes from 1983 are very very scarce. I’ve really only seen one full one and that’s the one where Patty shot Jack, and that’s already in the vault. I hope more surface someday, it truly was such a great year of the show. My favorite year, besides 1979. 

Yay!!!

Please register in order to view this content

• Members

In terms of cast charts I have completed 1987 and just need to do a few bits of cleaning up. Unfortunately we don't have many end credits from Aug - Dec 1987. In fact there is only one cast list for that time and it is from the Nov 25 ep.

This means I have no idea when Michael Corbett, Kate Linder or Quinn Redeker moved to contract status and I had to guess. For Michael I moved him after two 13 week cycles from his first 1987 appearance in Feb, so he moves on in Aug. For Quinn and Kate I chose October. Pretty sure they both went on the week of Sep 28 - Oct 2, just a strong hunch. I assume Kate is permanently on contract. At least she is still there in Sep 1988. 

Catherine McNeal (Janet#2) was also on contract but I don't think Maureen McConnell ever was. The change over occurred Oct 7

Frank Bernard and Barbara Crampton I assume were on contract from their first appearances. It is obvious Beth Maitland and Scott Palmer were also on contract when they returned, since they both appeared Nov 24, 1987 and the cast list is from the next episode.

The only other major change was the departure of Sally Sussman. She was in the Nov 25 credits but not the Dec 11 credits. So she left the show sometime between there. Since there were barely any credits I didn't bother doing any writer director lists from Aug onwards.

This also means the only non-contract players listed are those I know. Also I will do January 1988 since we have those episodes and that will complete everything

I also have done the top 10 appearance counts for 1987 as follows

Thom Bierdz (Phillip Chancellor III) 156

Eileen Davidson (Ashley Abbott) 156

Eric Braeden (Victor Newman) 148

Lauralee Bell (Cricket Blair) 146

Jeanne Cooper (Katherine Chancellor) 142

Melody Thomas-Scott (Nikki Reed Newman) 142

Terry Lester (Jack Abbott) 131

Tracey E. Bregman (Lauren Fenmore) 122

Tricia Cast (Nina Webster) 118

Don Diamont (Brad Carlton) 114

Even with Brett Porter's 9 appearances as Jack, Terry would not have moved. I also did Brenda and Jess' totals 73 for Jess and 67 for Brenda making 140. However I believe if Brenda had stayed she would have scored higher, but probs not too much more. I didn't realise Lauralee was already besting Terry Lester in 1987. So I am very curious now about 88 and 89. The second half of 87 or the 87/88 season, was definitely dominated by the Cricket/Phillip/Nina/Danny quad. Jill has become more of a supporting character to that story and has little else but the Rex and Skip stories holding her up. It is interesting how Brenda seemed like a star player and Jess seems more an ensemble, but I guess Bell was adjusting to the recast? Not sure. Again if we ever get full runs from 88 onwards, would be interesting to see. 

• Members

I think yours are probably right.

You have Dec 24, 1987 German version which matches the US version. Dec 25 was preempted. Then there's four more episodes in 1987.  Your Dec 31, 1987 German episode has a New Year's Eve party.

Then according to a French clip on YouTube, Jan 25, 1988 is the episode where Nikki dances to "Jump Start My Heart" which matches what you have for that date. There are four more episodes in January.

Then, you have these two episodes as the 2nd and 3rd episodes in February 1988.  If those aired on February 9th and 10th, there would have to be a whole week of preemptions somewhere in that month, and I just don't see where that would have happened. There's an episode database for As The World Turns and they don't have any preemptions during that time: