OLTL - old articles, behind the scenes, etc.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I know Eileen got hooked on painkillers after husband Dave died, and that Josh was her (very young) connection. I think both she and Julie just faded out to Florida after the Dorian/Mark/Victor arc. I always wanted to see another Siegel kid come on and try to ingratiate his or herself into Viki's life due to the Riley family connection. The show didn't make enough of the blended Irish-Jewish roots there.

• Members

It's too bad so much history from the show's first ten or so years was phased out because they probably thought the families were old hat or played out. There's still a lot of material there, especially for the Woleks.

It's interesting that Alice Hirson and Doris Belack were both on OLTL for many years then went on to such lengthy careers. It goes to show just how underrated soap casting is, or was anyway.

• Members

It's too bad so much history from the show's first ten or so years was phased out because they probably thought the families were old hat or played out. There's still a lot of material there, especially for the Woleks.

I wonder if it had anything to do with GH's success with phasing out so many old characters? Great stuff.

• Members
Tom Lee Jones Has Come A Long Way From The Badlands of Texas

What do you say about a guy who was born near Johnson City, Texas, whose father is in oil, who was an All-Ivy football player and a cum laude graduate of Harvard College, who starred in the immortal Love Story and Sal Mineo's controversial play Fortune And Men's Eyes, who is married to the daughter of Ring Lardiner, Jr. (screenwriter of M.A.S.H.) and is now starring as Dr. Mark Tolland on ABC's One Life to Live? Well, you don't really say, you ask...Is there such a person? Yes, I've met him and he's real, and from the looks of things to come, this is only the beginning for Tom Lee Jones.

In the two years since Tom has been acting professionally, he has amassed quite a range of credits...two films, two Broadway shows and one off-Broadway play, and now the daytime serial.

"Things happened quickly for me," Tom admits. "My interest in acting grew when I was in prep school in Dallas. They were doing a production of Mr. Roberts and I was asked to be in it. The first image that comes to my mind is of a dark place with bright lights, and people hammering away at sets, and this man telling the people what to do. The whole thing just intrigued me, and I knew I was zapped.

"At Harvard College I managed to do two years of summer stock...and played football all four years. When I was graduated, I knew I was too small to make it in professional football, so acting seemed like a natural course. Because of my football days, I had trouble with my knees. The doctor who was taking care of me was Thomas Quigley. By chance he asked me what I would be doing one day, and I told him that I was heading for New York to start an acting career. He told me to look up his daughter and perhaps she could help me.

"His daughter's name...Jane Alexander, and she did help me. I went to see her in The Great White Hope. That was the first time I had ever been in a Broadway house. She introduced me to James Earl Jones and the rest of the cast. Then she introduced me to her agent who introduced me to my present agent. I was sent on a...well, it's called a cattle call...for A Patriot For Me...and I got a part in the chorus.

This was the first page. The photos above was the second. I'll write up the rest in a little bit.

• Members
says, at St. Mark's Prep School in Dallas, really awakened him to the world outside.

"I had one teacher there," Tom continues, "I'd say he was one of the most influential people in my life...Victor Francis White. He was the author of Mornings in Vienna. He was an English teacher, and it was he who introduced me to Joseph Conrad and Macbeth...to literature. He taught me about imagery and theme and meter. He made me keep a spiral notebook and every time I'd come across a word I didn't know, I'd put it down in the book with its meaning.

He was from Vienna and he lived and knew about old Vienna and Viennese balls. He could talk first hand about Thomas Edison and the Industrial Revolution. It was Victor Francis White who opened up my mind.

"Also being in Dallas was another experience in itself. I went to Harvard with the idea of getting a different kind of background. I majored in English...played four years of football...went to lots of parties.

"My first love has always been football. My last game was the Yale/Harvard game of '68. That feeling when I left the field...it's over...but it was just right...I wasn't sad...I wasn't overjoyed...but it ended nicely.

"There are lots of things I want to do yet. I want to do lots more acting and directing and writing. I write some poetry and I'm into a screenplay - it's about the prairie. I suppose I've got a lot of family history stored up in me which means a great deal to me. My grandfather came to Texas from Mississippi on a Flatbed wagon.

"Besides those creative endeavors, I want to do lots more traveling (I've been to Europe...don't have much of a desire to go back yet)...and I want to raise a couple of kids."

Tom is married to actress Katharine (Katie) Lardner (Her dad won the Academy Award for scripting M.A.S.H.) Tom and she live in a very large West Side apartment with her two children, Carlo, six, and Ellis, four-and-a-half.

Katie says that Tom is a great father to them, and Tom says that Katie is just the "best mother." They both agree that children should grow up naturally, the way they are not the way their parents want them to be. "The less you do," Tom says, "The better, Freedom and encouragement...No puritanism...none of those 17th-century diseases." Tom is a disciplinarian when required, but he and the kids get along beautifully. And Carlo just happens to like throwing a football.

The family spends as much time together as possible. And in Tom's free time, he is playing football, exercising or reading. There are always a few hours when you can catch his foot tapping to the sounds of rock music.

His concerns about the world...his philosophy of life remains private. Ask a big question..."What is love?"...and all you can get him is a big Texan smile. When forced to it, he'll tell you that he doesn't regret a thing he's done...that now is the time for all things...that he can't remember being sad....and that Katie is all things to him.

But the essence of Tom Lee Jones, the sense that you get after being with him, comes from that big Texas smile. He is very much connected to the roots of his heritage. He'll show you books by J. Frank Dobie, who writes about the Texas midlands; he'll talk freely about the roads around Dallas and El Paso.

And somewhere in the prairies of Texas...in the sounds of the dying coyotes...somewhere where there are blue bonnets of the bluest blue and wildflowers that dazzle the eyes...out there is the heart and soul of "Tommy" Lee Jones.

by M.J. Bevans

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Oh that's right this was when they were phasing Viki out of the show?

Jacquie looks a bit like Lauren Bacall there.

I have another article I'll put up later if I can, it's an early interview with Erika and they call her the Thinking Man's Marilyn Monroe.

Sometimes I take for granted how many years Erika's put in at OLTL. I can't imagine the show without her.

• Members

Please note Jacquie Courtney up front, with Erika Slezak probably in a broom closet.

:lol:

I have another article I'll put up later if I can, it's an early interview with Erika and they call her the Thinking Man's Marilyn Monroe.

:blink:

• Members

Comparing anyone to Marilyn Monroe is odd...I guess it was because she was wearing shorts in the photos, I don't know. :lol:

That might be Jane. At first I thought it was Claire Malis but she's wearing black.

I hope someone at OLTL might see the word "Melinda" and bring her back. MelindaMelindaMelinda...

Archived